Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 12:40 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Everyone who I've been dealing with has used verses from the Bible to give credence to their view - how is that NOT relying on the Bible?
It is not necessary like i told you when i first jumped in on this thread.When you learn to feel from within, that is your guide, but you have to lose all your bias to trust that feeling, especially when it comes to things spiritual, otherwise like i said you will use your biases and predjudices to determine what you believe is right,just like you do in your exegesis. As much as you think you have proven you don't, the universalists and others on this thread have proved otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 12:41 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Simple, I have accomplished giving them a proper understanding of the facts. Facts/truth gives people a better starting point at which to make their decisions rather than falsehoods/misunderstandings/error. Don't you agree?
What is one man's treasure is another man's garbage. And you cannot speak for all the people, cultures and times.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I'm sure, thanks for the concern!
Just checking

Old 06-10-2018, 12:54 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I just told you how I took his post (and I've known camps a LONG time here, so I think I usually read him pretty accurately). That's what I agreed with. If he meant something different, I'll let him explain.
Ok, fair enough, I know misunderstandings happen. No biggie!

Highlighting that part of your response seems really clear though.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:55 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What is one man's treasure is another man's garbage. And you cannot speak for all the people, cultures and times.
I don't try to. You should take your own advice! It's good!

Old 06-10-2018, 12:58 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It is not necessary like i told you when i first jumped in on this thread.When you learn to feel from within, that is your guide, but you have to lose all your bias to trust that feeling, especially when it comes to things spiritual, otherwise like i said you will use your biases and predjudices to determine what you believe is right,just like you do in your exegesis. As much as you think you have proven you don't, the universalists and others on this thread have proved otherwise.
I'll use my spidy-sense to deny that! Thanks! Loosing all of one biases and prejudices is a fools errand -the best we can do is to employ methodologies that help reduce them or keep them in check. You methodology is fraught with error.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:07 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Quote:
I'll use my spidy-sense to deny that! Thanks! Loosing all of one biases and prejudices is a fools errand -the best we can do is to employ methodologies that help reduce them or keep them in check. You methodology is fraught with error.
Shiloh, in a spiritual sense (however you, as an atheist, want to define spiritual), what have you taken away from being convinced that Paul was an ETer or annihilationist that has been beneficial to you?

Old 06-10-2018, 01:19 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,029,001 times
Quote:
The starting point is not about getting Universalists to believe that God is angry for real but to understand that this is what the Bible is teaching.
Well! There you are; I was thinking about you and your twin, and trying to find you. Rose will be back to find more about Abba "being angry for real". For now though, lets mention again what the apostle Paul declares so clearly>>>>>>>>

"The whole of created life shall be delivered."

That, my potential friend, Rose knows does not stir you (yet), but it makes me get up every single day with a great HOPE in the Living One!

Where are the doom twins?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0

Old 06-10-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
The starting point is not about getting Universalists to believe that God is angry for real but to understand that this is what the Bible is teaching. Thus, if I accomplished getting you to see that FACT, something you stated in your question, what would that do for your Universalist beliefs or your reliance on the Bible - you could not rely on it anymore to back up those beliefs. That is one step closer to understanding the facts regarding the Bible and since facts/truth matter that is a good thing to base your decisions and life on. It would also show you that your believes are not grounded in a book but your own subjective sense of what you want to believe abut God. And that is a good and humbling starting point to live your life - Again, don't you agree facts matter?

And that did not answer what all these questions have to do with the OP.
Shiloh, if God was mad and angry, he needs to get saved himself, because i know many who are not mad and angry at the world, including myself. Also Jesus was the exact imprint of the feelings of God, show me where Jesus lost it other than with the fundies of his day.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:32 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Shiloh, in a spiritual sense (however you, as an atheist, want to define spiritual), what have you taken away from being convinced that Paul was an ETer or annihilationist that has been beneficial to you?

That humans try very hard to understand the world around them and objectify their subjective sense of things when such evidence is lacking. This leads me to a higher standard for what would constitute evidence for such extraordinary claims such as Paul's or yours. As such skepticism is a good place to start, even with your own views, and seek to withhold absolute claims about such extraordinary claim as truth until such evidence suggests otherwise. It has lead me to a methodological approach to life that I feel reduces a lot of the problems between people with such claims -which seem to be religious in nature most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity