Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 03:05 PM

1,259 posts, read 564,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The weekly Saturday Sabbath was and is observed by the Jews from sundown to sundown. This has already been shown in the comment made by Rabbi David Sperling in post #2.

No, it is not speculation by scholars. The majority, though not all, of the NT quotes of the OT are taken from the Septuagint. The Hellenistic Jews for the most part couldn't read Hebrew which is why the Septuagint was necessary.

Mike, I don't doubt many Jews and Jewish leaders believes that sunset is the start of the Sabbath. It doesn't make it so.

I also, can't believe your speculation about the LXX, but I don't doubt it either. I just wouldn't tell someone they were wrong about it since I KNOW there is NOT enough information to prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 03:24 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
The weekly Saturday Sabbath was and is observed by the Jews from sundown to sundown. This has already been shown in the comment made by Rabbi David Sperling in post #2.

No, it is not speculation by scholars. The majority, though not all, of the NT quotes of the OT are taken from the Septuagint. The Hellenistic Jews for the most part couldn't read Hebrew which is why the Septuagint was necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
Mike, I don't doubt many Jews and Jewish leaders believes that sunset is the start of the Sabbath. It doesn't make it so.
Are you saying that God telling Moses in Leviticus 23:32 when the Sabbath began doesn't make it so? Here's another OT verse pertaining to the start of the Sabbath.
Nehemiah 13:19 As soon as it began to grow dark at the gates of Jerusalem before the Sabbath, I commanded that the doors should be shut and gave orders that they should not be opened until after the Sabbath. And I stationed some of my servants at the gates, that no load might be brought in on the Sabbath day.
Nehemiah understood that the Sabbath began at sundown.

Quote:
I also, can't believe your speculation about the LXX, but I don't doubt it either. I just wouldn't tell someone they were wrong about it since I KNOW there is NOT enough information to prove it.
It's not speculation. Scholars have done the work and most of the NT quotes of the OT are from the Septuagint. Nor is it speculation that the Hellenistic Jews couldn't read Hebrew. That's the reason why the Hebrew Bible had to be translated into Greek.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:32 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
If the Sabbath doesnt start at Sunset, then Matthew 28 & Acts 20 are way off:

Matthew 28:1 (KJV)
28 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

It clearly states the Sabbath was ending and it was about to be dark, which would be the 1st day of the week when Jesus rose, as the other 3 gospels agrees he rose when it was dark, so this is one example the new day started at sunset.

The other example that proves the a new day started at sunset is Acts 20:7

Acts 20:7 (KJV)
7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

This here shows the Sabbath just ended and Paul spoke to them until midnight, so this is another verse that is proof a new day stared when the sun set, otherwise Acts 20:7 is saying Paul came at 6am and spoke to people for 15hours, which we all know is not true and people dont have that kind of attention span.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that God telling Moses in Leviticus 23:32 when the Sabbath began doesn't make it so? Here's another OT verse pertaining to the start of the Sabbath.
Nehemiah 13:19 As soon as it began to grow dark at the gates of Jerusalem before the Sabbath, I commanded that the doors should be shut and gave orders that they should not be opened until after the Sabbath. And I stationed some of my servants at the gates, that no load might be brought in on the Sabbath day.

It's not speculation. Scholars have done the work and most of the NT quotes of the OT are from the Septuagint. Nor is it speculation that the Hellenistic Jews couldn't read Hebrew. That's the reason why the Hebrew Bible had to be translated into Greek.

Mike, I'm saying as I said before that Leviticus 23:32 is the exception.

No Mike, Nehemiah is simply showing that they prevented the merchants from bringing in goods to the city by shutting the gates the night before so as to keep the merchants from staying all night in vain outside the gates.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
If the Sabbath doesnt start at Sunset, then Matthew 28 & Acts 20 are way off:

Matthew 28:1 (KJV)
28 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

It clearly states the Sabbath was ending and it was about to be dark, which would be the 1st day of the week when Jesus rose, as the other 3 gospels agrees he rose when it was dark, so this is one example the new day started at sunset.

The other example that proves the a new day started at sunset is Acts 20:7

Acts 20:7 (KJV)
7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

This here shows the Sabbath just ended and Paul spoke to them until midnight, so this is another verse that is proof a new day stared when the sun set, otherwise Acts 20:7 is saying Paul came at 6am and spoke to people for 15hours, which we all know is not true and people dont have that kind of attention span.

Hi SAAN, the verse in Matthew 28:1 is in referencing the week. The word is in fact plural. Often you will see the definite article in reference to the actual Sabbath. Therefore, the verse is showing that the week had ended that Mary was coming to the Tomb on the first day of the week.

The same could be in reference to Acts 20:7.

Act 20:7 And on the first of the week, the disciples having been gathered together to break bread, Paul was discoursing to them, about to depart on the morrow, he was also continuing the discourse till midnight,

Old 09-11-2018, 03:54 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
A Day in the Bible started at the rising of the sun and contrary to what many believe as being at sunset.

The Day ended at sunset. However, a day would be numbered until the next day started again at the next rising of the sun.

Sabbath days were therefore only observed DURING the daylight period (the day) and didn't include the evening or night hours.
The sabbath? What is the purpose of the sabbath in our lives?

Old 09-11-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The sabbath? What is the purpose of the sabbath in our lives?

It was to teach of us resting from our works (works of sin) and is a type of the day that comes when Christ shall usher in His Reign on Earth and destroy sin.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:37 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:

Quote:
Mike, I'm saying as I said before that Leviticus 23:32 is the exception.

No Mike, Nehemiah is simply showing that they prevented the merchants from bringing in goods to the city by shutting the gates the night before so as to keep the merchants from staying all night in vain outside the gates.

You've acknowledged that Leviticus 23:32 states that the Sabbath begins at sunset but you try to pass it off as an exception while denying that Nehemiah 13:19 also shows that the Sabbath begins at sunset. According to Nehemiah the Sabbath was to begin as soon as it got dark. It was still light but beginning to get dark. Once it did get dark is when the Sabbath was to begin.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
You've acknowledged that Leviticus 23:32 states that the Sabbath begins at sunset but you try to pass it off as an exception while denying that Nehemiah 13:19 also shows that the Sabbath begins at sunset. According to Nehemiah the Sabbath was to begin as soon as it got dark. It was still light but beginning to get dark. Once it did get dark is when the Sabbath was to begin.

No I acknowledged that - THAT Sabbath began at sunset - The Day of Atonement. Again, Nehemiah is not showing that the Sabbath starts at sunset. Nehemiah is showing that the gates were closed at sunset in preparation for the Sabbath to keep the merchants from entering in.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:53 PM

For you that believe the Sabbath starts at sunset. Why did the people bring Jesus the sick after sunset had come:

Mar 1:32 And evening having come, when the sun did set, they brought unto him all who were ill, and who were demoniacs,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity