Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 10:02 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,029,001 times

Advertisements

Dear Mike: congratulations! You have failed again to articulate what the five qualifications for "everlasting punishment" are according to the context of the only verse of Scripture regarding this important dogma you love so much.

We are trying to make this easy for you Mike: the questions surrounding this text get harder but patience is my middle name.

"It is easy to be a slave to the letter, and difficult to enter into the spirit; easy to obey a number of outward rules, difficult to enter intelligently and self-sacrificingly into the will of God." -Frederic Farrar-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 10:11 AM

Dear Mike: As Pcamps has pointed out to you, there are one verse foundations upon which fundagelicals stand. The biggie one is St. Matthew 25:46 to which you are making reference.

Your question=

Without going outside the context of St, Matthew 25, please list the five (5) qualifications for "everlasting punishment. They are>>>>>>

1.______________________________________________?

2.______________________________________________?

3.______________________________________________?

4.______________________________________________?

5.______________________________________________?

Dear Mike: You state>>>>>

"The punishment of the one group is as long as the life of the other group - endless in duration."

Without going outside the context of St, Matthew 25, please list the five (5) qualifications for "everlasting life. They are>>>>>>

1.______________________________________________?

2.______________________________________________?

3.______________________________________________?

4.______________________________________________?

5.______________________________________________?

Old 02-14-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

As for the word kolasis, it is not restricted to remedial, corrective punishment. In 2 Maccabees 4:38 Kolasis is used for capital punishment. There is nothing remedial, or temporary about capital punishment.

2 Maccabees 4:38
38 καὶ πυρωθεὶς τοῖς θυμοῖς, παραχρῆμα τὴν τοῦ ᾿Ανδρονίκου πορφύραν περιελόμενος καὶ τοὺς χιτῶνας περιρρήξας, περιαγαγὼν καθ᾿ ὅλην τὴν πόλιν, ἐπ᾿ αὐτὸ τὸν τόπον, οὗπερ εἰς τὸν ᾿Ονίαν ἠσέβησεν, ἐκεῖ τὸν μιαιφόνον ἀπεκόσμησε, τοῦ Κυρίου τὴν ἀξία αὐτῷ κόλασιν ἀποδόντος.

38 And being kindled with anger, forthwith he took away Andronicus his purple, and rent off his clothes, and leading him through the whole city unto that very place, where he had committed impiety against Onias, there slew he the cursed murderer. Thus the Lord rewarded him his punishment, as he had deserved.

https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/gree...book=22&page=4
Dear old Mike: You must reach out of your narrow grasp! You are to be congratulated on your at home study of koine. At the very least you are trying, falling far short, but trying.

If you really desire to know the meaning of aionios, you simply must look within Old Covenant olam, the foundation for aionial in the New.

Olam=

https://www.jewishlinknj.com/feature...-the-word-olam

https://www.logosapostolic.org/hebre...verlasting.htm

"This day shall be for you a memorial day, and you shall keep it as a feast to the Lord; throughout your generations, as a statute forever, you shall keep it as a feast." (ESV)

Last edited by Rose2Luv; 02-14-2019 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-14-2019, 12:32 PM

God Strikes and Then Heals

(In Wrath There Is Mercy and Restoration)

In the Hebrew Scriptures (the OT) we find clear statements that the outcome of God's "wrath" and "judging" is healing and mercy. Let the following examples speak for themselves. These are my renderings of the Septuagint (LXX):

Isa. 19:22 (LXX), And so [the] Lord (= Yahweh) will smite and wound (or: strike down with a fatal blow) the Egyptians, and then shall completely heal them – and thus they will be fully turned back toward (or: face to face with) [the] Lord (= Yahweh). Then He will listen unto them and thoroughly heal them.

Hos. 5:14-6:4 (LXX), Because of this, I Myself am like (or: exist being as) a panther to (or: for; in) Ephraim, and like a lion to (or: for; in) the house of Judah: thus I Myself will tear, and then journey on; I will take (grasp in [My] hand; seize), and there will be no one to be rescuing and dragging [folks] out of [My grasp]. I will journey on and return into My place until they will be caused to disappear, and then they will search for My face, and seek My presence.

-Continued below-

God Strikes and Then Heals

Old 02-14-2019, 12:38 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Think of your best friend or closest family who is not a Christian. If you both died at the same time and God gave you the option to give up heaven to prevent your friend/family member from going to Hell, would you do it? Both of you would simply disappear from existence.
I would not- that is what makes the love of Christ so special. People all have the opportunity to give their life to Jesus- the only way to go to hell is to reject Him every single day of your life.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:12 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I would not- that is what makes the love of Christ so special. People all have the opportunity to give their life to Jesus- the only way to go to hell is to reject Him every single day of your life.
In a sense, but it can be more complicated than that. I haven't read through all of these posts, so this may have been discussed, but there are obviously people who are (just by chance) born in parts of the world or cultures who don't know about Jesus or who happen to be born into another religion (or no religion), at no fault of their own.

So they may not have an opportunity to directly give their life to Jesus. Indirectly, through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, by living for Jesus without directly knowing it, they do have the opportunity. That is where you have faith that a loving, all-knowing God gives all people an opportunity to know Him, even if not directly.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:38 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
In a sense, but it can be more complicated than that. I haven't read through all of these posts, so this may have been discussed, but there are obviously people who are (just by chance) born in parts of the world or cultures who don't know about Jesus or who happen to be born into another religion (or no religion), at no fault of their own.

So they may not have an opportunity to directly give their life to Jesus. Indirectly, through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, by living for Jesus without directly knowing it, they do have the opportunity. That is where you have faith that a loving, all-knowing God gives all people an opportunity to know Him, even if not directly.
That’s what C. S. Lewis says in “Mere Christianity”.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:56 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Absolutely nothing.

Having been shown that you don't know what you're talking about, you now proclaim . . . ''Who cares?'' People who care about historical accuracy care.

You just implied that the early church didn't walk with God. . .an arrogant and self-righteous, holier than thou attitude on your part. It was the early church which recognized the divine authority inherent in the documents which were written by the apostles and by men closely associated with the apostles, and which became a part of the NT canon.

Since you reject the trustworthiness of the early church, and of the apostles, you have nothing but your feelings on
which to base your assumptions about God.

You are subjective rather than objective and therefore are incapable of objective discussion about the issue.
Give over wih your arrogant attempts to put down, i never said anything about the early church(the church under Jesus' disciples leadership), but if you believe they had a walk with God nailed, then you don't know what you are talking about. The early church organized almost from the get go . Also if you think they were following after God in medieval times, like i said, then it is no wonder that you believe how you do. Sadly you have a heart for protecting your beliefs, but one for God and those you put down you are found wanting.

My response too was to jimmiej, who was saying walking with Jesus in the flesh, authorized them to discern what is scripture and what isn't. So get your facts right too.

You can boast as much as you want about your beliefs being right and attempt to beat folk down with those beliefs who disagree with you, i ain't impressed and neither is God, for your kind have got away with this Saul of Tarsus tactic far too long, guess what?, you have lost that power of intimidation, for folk are waking up.

Last edited by pcamps; 02-14-2019 at 05:08 PM..

Old 02-15-2019, 06:15 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

Agreed- very good response!

Old 02-15-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Dear Bryan: Are you aware of the fact 1 in 4 worldwide suffers from some form of mental disorder? I know a few who could not "give their life to Jesus" with all the kings horses & all the kings men assisting!

Questions:

1. Thousands worldwide die each day under the age of 5. How many had the opportunity to "give their life to Jesus"?

2. Does Adam1 have greater scope than the Last Adam?

"The whole of created life shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption..."

3. What does "whole" mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity