Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 04:14 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I have been to Patriots, Celtics and Red Sox games where the one accord is not with the one bringing attention on themselves through prayer. You know perfectly well what i was getting at with Ezra and Israel, and someone praying in public at a football stadium.
I have no idea what you’re saying. You can either dumb it down for me or just forget it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 04:33 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
How am I supposed to know that for each individual case?

I understand you are on a mission to call public prayer self-aggrandizement... but sorry, that's not always the case.

Ezra 10:1 - 1 Now while Ezra was praying and making confession, weeping and prostrating himself before the house of God, a very large assembly, men, women and children, gathered to him from Israel; for the people wept bitterly. 2 Shecaniah the son of Jehiel, one of the sons of Elam, said to Ezra, "We have been unfaithful to our God and have married foreign women from the peoples of the land; yet now there is hope for Israel in spite of this. 3 "So now let us make a covenant with our God to put away all the wives and their children, according to the counsel of my lord and of those who tremble at the commandment of our God; and let it be done according to the law.

In this case - public prayer by Ezra led to the people of Israel re-dedicating themselves to the Lord.
Quote:
All in one accord.

Bowing your knee in a football stadium where the only one accord going on is drink fueled fans roaring their own team on is not the same as what Ezra and Israel were up to.
Quote:
I have been to Patriots, Celtics and Red Sox games where the one accord is not with the one bringing attention on themselves through prayer. You know perfectly well what i was getting at with Ezra and Israel, and someone praying in public at a football stadium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I have no idea what you’re saying. You can either dumb it down for me or just forget it.
Drob is using the Ezra example for his support of public praying, that was before a nation in one accord with him(Ezra).A public show of prayer in a football stadium or Baseball Park, where the nation is Red Sox nation or Patriot Nation where they are only in one accord with their own team, in mind is only bringing attention to yourself not God. I cannot ever imagine any of the apostles praying publically.

Would you agree that the scriptures do not encourage public praying?

Old 01-18-2019, 04:37 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,711 times
Quote:

If that was true, we would see that on here. The sad truth is fundamentalists are bogged down in their belief systems about God, man and the church.

The message of Jesus for us, is go tell your friends what great things God has done for you, not go tell them what a bunch of sinners they are, believeJesus loves you or pay the price for not believing he does and did.
then what was the purpose of Jesus dying on the Cross for? just because....?

Old 01-18-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Ok, give an example.
Bible Fundamentalists are very loud too about letting you know they are around, whereas progressives keep their walk privately and have no need to be seen or heard. that's pretty much a judgment against them, wouldn't you say?

Old 01-18-2019, 04:41 PM

https://answersingenesis.org/contrad...public-or-not/

Old 01-18-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Please share 1 post by a fundamentalist sharing in their experience(in the present moment) something wonderful what the Lord has done for them. American bible fundamentalism judging by this forum is dead as dead can be. You are all here acting like you are God's warriors defending a belief system you believe he put in place.
and you're acting like you are a few steps higher than everyone else because you only "love" everyone, believe that Jesus was a good moral teacher, that the Bible is mostly made up of stories that have a moral and that no one will be going to hell because it doesn't exist....so that makes you a better person because that's what you believe. pointing fingers can go both ways...i don't particularly care for it but since you're engaging in it, i figure, why not.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Bible Fundamentalists are very loud too about letting you know they are around, whereas progressives keep their walk privately and have no need to be seen or heard. that's pretty much a judgment against them, wouldn't you say?
No it is an observation. Fundamentalists are loud about what they are against, especially about calling out those they believe are sinners and a detriment to society, sadly homosexuals are in the main firing line.

Do you realize there are multitudes of believers who reserve their judgement on homosexuality(my view is who am i to condemn it?, it does not go beyond that). I also know a number of believers who do not look favorly upon homosexuality but rather than point the finger befriend them and love for who they are.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
and you're acting like you are a few steps higher than everyone else because you only "love" everyone, believe that Jesus was a good moral teacher, that the Bible is mostly made up of stories that have a moral and that no one will be going to hell because it doesn't exist....so that makes you a better person because that's what you believe. pointing fingers can go both ways...i don't particularly care for it but since you're engaging in it, i figure, why not.
None of those things make anyone a better a person including myself, beliefs about the bible or being able to explain great mysteries don't add a single cube to our stature, and that is a very poor summary of what i am established in.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
No it is an observation. Fundamentalists are loud about what they are against, especially about calling out those they believe are sinners and a detriment to society, sadly homosexuals are in the main firing line.

Do you realize there are multitudes of believers who reserve their judgement on homosexuality(my view is who am i to condemn it?, it does not go beyond that). I also know a number of believers who do not look favorly upon homosexuality but rather than point the finger befriend them and love for who they are.
while i agree there are those that are far more vocal than others, i think your assessment of most fundamental Christians is hyper-exaggerated because of your unfounded disgust at what you perceive them to be like. i had a personal message from another poster here (on the progressive side) who summed it up rather well when he stated that if this discussion were to be held in the company of everyone of us, it probably would sound a little different than it does here. i think it's too easy for us to get carried away here on this forum when truth be told, we would probably be more civil to one another, being able to look into each others eyes and to actually "listen" to what we're saying rather than just posting. i don't wanna get angry like the other night so i'm gonna call it a night. it's not worth getting worked up over because at the end of the day when the cows come home....you're going to believe what you think is right and i'm going to believe what i think is right and neither of us is going to change the others minds on it. besides, i don't want to be angry with you....or anyone.

so i throw up my hands and say i'm done for the night.

Last edited by urbanlemur; 01-18-2019 at 05:12 PM..

Old 01-18-2019, 05:07 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
If you are a progressive believer in a fundamental Christian denomination, smile and wave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity