Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 09:58 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
An angel is merely a messenger of God.
Correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 10:03 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Correct.
Katz, do you not believe that the Bible, as well as extra-biblical literature speaks of actual supernatural entities called angels? Yes, angels are messengers (that's their job description) , but that does not exclude them from also being other than human.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Katz, do you not believe that the Bible, as well as extra-biblical literature speaks of actual supernatural entities called angels? Yes, angels are messengers (that's their job description) , but that does not exclude them from also being other than human.
I'm not sure I understand your question, Mike. As you know, I believe in the pre-existence of man. I also believe that, in form, angels are like human beings. That would mean, of course, that they don't have wings. I believe that there are different types of angelic beings, in various states of progression. For this reason, a spirit son or daughter of God who has not been born yet but who will be born at some time in the future, could be sent to earth as an angel, probably in most cases as a messenger of God. It is also possible, IMO, for a resurrected being, i.e. someone who has lived a mortal life, died and been resurrected, to be an angel.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your question, Mike. As you know, I believe in the pre-existence of man. I also believe that, in form, angels are like human beings. That would mean, of course, that they don't have wings. I believe that there are different types of angelic beings, in various states of progression. For this reason, a spirit son or daughter of God who has not been born yet but who will be born at some time in the future, could be sent to earth as an angel, probably in most cases as a messenger of God. It is also possible, IMO, for a resurrected being, i.e. someone who has lived a mortal life, died and been resurrected, to be an angel.
The reason I asked was because you agreed with Jerwade when he said that angels are merely messengers of God. He doesn't believe in actual angelic beings. So that had me wondering if you shared his belief.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:57 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
An angel is merely a messenger of God.
The Hebrew word Malach, translated as angel, means messenger...

This is interesting:

The word angel arrives in modern English from Old English engel (with a hard g) and the Old French angele. Both of these derive from Late Latin angelus (literally "messenger"), which in turn was borrowed from Late Greek ἄγγελος angelos. Τhe word's earliest form is Mycenaean a-ke-ro, attested in Linear B syllabic script. - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ange...labic%20script.

Old 09-06-2020, 08:10 AM

995 posts, read 783,847 times
4. Gabriel—The Chief Executive
The Bright and Morning Star is the personalization of the first concept of identity and ideal of personality conceived by the Creator Son and the local universe manifestation of the Infinite Spirit. Going back to the early days of the local universe, before the union of the Creator Son and the Mother Spirit in the bonds of creative association, back to the times before the beginning of the creation of their versatile family of sons and daughters, the first conjoint act of this early and free association of these two divine persons results in the creation of the highest spirit personality of the Son and the Spirit, the Bright and Morning Star.
Only one such being of wisdom and majesty is brought forth in each local universe. The Universal Father and the Eternal Son can, in fact do, create an unlimited number of Sons in divinity equal to themselves; but such Sons, in union with the Daughters of the Infinite Spirit, can create only one Bright and Morning Star in each universe, a being like themselves and partaking freely of their combined natures but not of their creative prerogatives. Gabriel of Salvington is like the Universe Son in divinity of nature though considerably limited in the attributes of Deity. This first-born of the parents of a new universe is a unique personality possessing many wonderful traits not visibly present in either ancestor, a being of unprecedented versatility and unimagined brilliance. This supernal personality embraces the divine will of the Son combined with the creative imagination of the Spirit. The thoughts and acts of the Bright and Morning Star will ever be fully representative of both the Creator Son and the Creative Spirit. Such a being is also capable of a broad understanding of, and sympathetic contact with, both the spiritual seraphic hosts and the material evolutionary will creatures. The Bright and Morning Star is not a creator, but he is a marvelous administrator, being the personal administrative representative of the Creator Son. Aside from creation and life impartation the Son and the Spirit never confer upon important universe procedures without Gabriel’s presence.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...ing%22#U33_4_1

Old 09-06-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The reason I asked was because you agreed with Jerwade when he said that angels are merely messengers of God. He doesn't believe in actual angelic beings. So that had me wondering if you shared his belief.
Well, I do believe in actual angelic beings, but I believe they are not all that different from human beings. It's just that they are not mortal beings (they're not living among us as humans). They live with God and are sent here by Him to serve Him in some way or another -- most often as messengers. God may have other messengers (prophets, etc.) who are humans, but I don't see them as angels. I hope that clarifies.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Well, I do believe in actual angelic beings, but I believe they are not all that different from human beings. It's just that they are not mortal beings (they're not living among us as humans). They live with God and are sent here by Him to serve Him in some way or another -- most often as messengers. God may have other messengers (prophets, etc.) who are humans, but I don't see them as angels. I hope that clarifies.
Yes, it does. Thanks Katz.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
I get the feeling that many people do not want to recognize that 'sons of God' refers to angels, only because of the implications of that, in regards to when the sons of God 'came into' human females and created offspring.

Admitting that 'sons of God' means angels...would mean angels really did come down and create offspring with human females! (for many people, that is just too bizarre to believe).

Old 09-06-2020, 12:59 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I get the feeling that many people do not want to recognize that 'sons of God' refers to angels, only because of the implications of that, in regards to when the sons of God 'came into' human females and created offspring.

Admitting that 'sons of God' means angels...would mean angels really did come down and create offspring with human females! (for many people, that is just too bizarre to believe).
Dude!..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity