Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 07:36 PM

28,136 posts, read 30,062,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Katz, we sing the Hillsong version.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKw6uqtGFfo
Jimmie, could you possibly post the words? I'm having a hard time understanding them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 07:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,426,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
From the mouth of most Christian's you will never hear them say they are sons of God, they are far more comfortable with confessing "I'm just a poor miserable sinner saved by grace" . So if that is the case, how the heck are they ever going to believe and identify with who they really are , the sons and daughters of God ?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Beautifully put!
I will second that!

Old 09-03-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I have a Child who is my son I have another child who is my daughter. Hope that helps.
In His likeness, as a son or daughter.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:12 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,834,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Jimmie, could you possibly post the words? I'm having a hard time understanding them.
Who am I that the highest King
Would welcome me
I was lost but He brought me in
Oh His love for me

Who the Son sets free
Oh is free indeed
I'm a child of God
Yes I am

Free at last He has ransomed me
His grace runs deep
While I was a slave to sin
Jesus died for me
Yes He died for me

Who the Son sets free
Oh is free indeed
I'm a child of God
Yes I am
In my Father's house
There's a place for me
I'm a child of God
Yes I am

[Bridge]
I am chosen, not forsaken
I am who You say I am
You are for me, not against me
I am who You say I am
I am who You say I am
I am who You say I am
I am who You say I am

Who the Son sets free
Oh is free indeed
I'm a child of God
Yes I am
In my Father's house
There's a place for me
I'm a child of God
Yes I am
I'm a child of God
Yes I am

Get more lyrics at: https://zionlyrics.com/hillsong-wors...s%20I%20am.%20.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:58 PM

28,136 posts, read 30,062,028 times
Quote:
Who am I that the highest King
Would welcome me
I was lost but He brought me in
Oh His love for me

Who the Son sets free
Oh is free indeed
I'm a child of God
Yes I am

Free at last He has ransomed me
His grace runs deep
While I was a slave to sin
Jesus died for me
Yes He died for me

Who the Son sets free
Oh is free indeed
I'm a child of God
Yes I am
In my Father's house
There's a place for me
I'm a child of God
Yes I am

[Bridge]
I am who You say I am
I am who You say I am
I am who You say I am
I am who You say I am
I am who You say I am

Who the Son sets free
Oh is free indeed
I'm a child of God
Yes I am
In my Father's house
There's a place for me
I'm a child of God
Yes I am
I'm a child of God
Yes I am

Get more lyrics at: https://zionlyrics.com/hillsong-wors...s%20I%20am.%20.
Nice! Thank you.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:11 PM

63,987 posts, read 40,262,899 times
Quote:
The prodigal was never adopted, he was always a son.

Always..... even before the writer of the John epistles declared..... Behold what manner of love that the Father as bestowed upon us that we should be called the sons of God.

From the mouth of most Christian's you will never hear them say they are sons of God, they are far more comfortable with confessing "I'm just a poor miserable sinner saved by grace" . So if that is the case, how the heck are they ever going to believe and identify with who they really are , the sons and daughters of God ?...

Old 09-04-2020, 10:12 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,072,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Do you think that the passage relates to the physical creation of literal sun, moon, stars?
I can see you applying that kind of typology to it. Scripture is full of examples of that. I personally disagree -- in the context God is dressing down Job and pointing out that Job just doesn't have clue what he's talking about. So I think his point was that Job was clueless when it came to things like God creating the universe.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:30 AM

19,122 posts, read 27,731,555 times
Quote:
Yes. The angels are called the sons of God because they are the image of God. They exist with Him in heaven above, and serve him as a son does his father.

Unfortunately, angels can not copulate. Or, fortunately.
Either way, they are not interested in women.

If you were to read through Ezekiel and Book of Enoch, you will find that, sons of good, in number of 200, found human women beautiful and wanted to choose among them and possess them. To what they were bound by some big time oath not to do so and tossed on some mountain to be there.
So much for your belief that "sons of god" were angels.
Humans, only humans. Maybe fancy ones, with some powers, but only humans.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:02 AM

33,354 posts, read 26,577,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Unfortunately, angels can not copulate. Or, fortunately.
Either way, they are not interested in women.

If you were to read through Ezekiel and Book of Enoch, you will find that, sons of good, in number of 200, found human women beautiful and wanted to choose among them and possess them. To what they were bound by some big time oath not to do so and tossed on some mountain to be there.
So much for your belief that "sons of god" were angels.
Humans, only humans. Maybe fancy ones, with some powers, but only humans.
You might try actually reading 1 Enoch. The sons of God were angels.
1 Enoch / R. H. Charles translation

[Chapter 7]

1 And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto 2 them beautiful and comely daughters. And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another: 'Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men 3 and beget us children.' And Semjaza, who was their leader, said unto them: 'I fear ye will not 4 indeed agree to do this deed, and I alone shall have to pay the penalty of a great sin.' And they all answered him and said: 'Let us all swear an oath, and all bind ourselves by mutual imprecations 5 not to abandon this plan but to do this thing.' Then sware they all together and bound themselves 6 by mutual imprecations upon it. And they were in all two hundred; who descended in the days of Jared on the summit of Mount Hermon, and they called it Mount Hermon, because they had sworn 7 and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it. And these are the names of their leaders: Samlazaz, their leader, Araklba, Rameel, Kokablel, Tamlel, Ramlel, Danel, Ezeqeel, Baraqijal, 8 Asael, Armaros, Batarel, Ananel, Zaq1el, Samsapeel, Satarel, Turel, Jomjael, Sariel. These are their chiefs of tens. [bolding mine]

The Wesley Center Online: Book Of Enoch

1 Enoch / Richard Laurence translation

Enoch Chapter 7
Enoch 7:1 It happened after the sons of men had multiplied in those days, that daughters were born to them, elegant and beautiful.

Enoch 7:2 And when the angels, (3) the sons of heaven, beheld them, they became enamoured of them, saying to each other, Come, let us select for ourselves wives from the progeny of men, and let us beget children.

(3) An Aramaic text reads "Watchers" here (J.T. Milik, Aramaic Fragments of Qumran Cave 4 [Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1976], p. 167).

Enoch 7:3 Then their leader Samyaza said to them; I fear that you may perhaps be indisposed to the performance of this enterprise;

Enoch 7:4 And that I alone shall suffer for so grievous a crime.

Enoch 7:5 But they answered him and said; We all swear;

Enoch 7:6 And bind ourselves by mutual execrations, that we will not change our intention, but execute our projected undertaking.

Enoch 7:7 Then they swore all together, and all bound themselves by mutual execrations. Their whole number was two hundred, who descended upon Ardis, (4) which is the top of mount Armon.

(4) Upon Ardis. Or, "in the days of Jared" (R.H. Charles, ed. and trans., The Book of Enoch [Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1893], p. 63).

Enoch 7:8 That mountain therefore was called Armon, because they had sworn upon it, (5) and bound themselves by mutual execrations.

(5) Mt. Armon, or Mt. Hermon, derives its name from the Hebrew word herem, a curse (Charles, p. 63).

Enoch 7:9 These are the names of their chiefs: Samyaza, who was their leader, Urakabarameel, Akibeel, Tamiel, Ramuel, Danel, Azkeel, Saraknyal, Asael, Armers, Batraal, Anane, Zavebe, Samsaveel, Ertael, Turel, Yomyael, Arazyal. These were the prefects of the two hundred angels, and the remainder were all with them. [bolding mine]

Book of Enoch

Then there's the book of Jubilees.
The book of Jubilees

And it came to pass when the children of men began to multiply on the face of the earth and daughters were born unto them, that the angels of God 4 saw them on a certain year of this jubilee, that they were

p. 57

beautiful to look upon; and they took themselves wives of all whom they chose, and they bare unto them sons and they were giants. [bolding mine]

https://sacred-texts.com/bib/jub/jub18.htm

Additionally, both Peter and James were referring to the Genesis 6:2-4 incident when they mentioned the punishment of the angels in 2 Peter 2:4 and Jude 1:6.

The original understanding in Jewish thought was that the sons of God in Genesis 6:4 were angels. Both the Bible and extra-biblical Jewish texts confirm this.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:29 AM

An angel is merely a messenger of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity