Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 11:12 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,806,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So the "sons of God" in this verse means something different than the same verbiage does elsewhere in the Bible?
Sure. Just the same as we have words in our language that are spelled the same and pronounced the same, they could mean different things, depending on the context.

Same can apply to certain sayings or phrases.

As for your OP, I believe they were rejoicing about creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 11:24 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,070,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What about the Shepherd's Star and Wandering Stars also known as planets?
Did they dance across the sky above the surface of the Earth or atmosphere?
Which passage are you referring to?

Old 09-03-2020, 11:33 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,423,926 times
Quote:
What about the Shepherd's Star and Wandering Stars also known as planets?
Did they dance across the sky above the surface of the Earth or atmosphere?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Which passage are you referring to?
I am referencing that of a figure of speech (i.e., singing, dancing, shouting, etc.). A figure of speech is a word or phrase that possesses a separate meaning from its literal definition. It can be a metaphor or simile, designed to make a comparison. It can be the repetition of alliteration or the exaggeration of hyperbole to provide a dramatic effect.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:32 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,423,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Sure. Just the same as we have words in our language that are spelled the same and pronounced the same, they could mean different things, depending on the context.

Messengers and devout men are called the "Sons of God."

Many looking for the consolation of Israel without pain and suffering.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:14 PM

11,916 posts, read 3,744,938 times
Quote:
Job 38:7 refers to the "morning stars [singing] together, and all the sons of God [shouting] for joy."

What, according to your understanding, were the morning stars and the sons of God so excited about? And who or what were they all in the first place?
Quote:

Quote:
Messengers and devout men are called the "Sons of God."

Many looking for the consolation of Israel without pain and suffering.
Job 38:2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
Job 38:3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
Job 38:5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
Job 38:6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
Job 38:8 Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?

Mink, Its not about the creation of the physical world though, it is looking forward to the creation through the logos, which has wisdom, truth, justice, life, etc

Last edited by Meerkat2; 09-03-2020 at 01:36 PM..

Old 09-03-2020, 01:17 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,070,251 times
Quote:
I am referencing that of a figure of speech (i.e., singing, dancing, shouting, etc.). A figure of speech is a word or phrase that possesses a separate meaning from its literal definition. It can be a metaphor or simile, designed to make a comparison. It can be the repetition of alliteration or the exaggeration of hyperbole to provide a dramatic effect.
You've still lost me. We go from a passage indicating angels are rejoicing to you asking some garbled question about shepherds dancing?

Old 09-03-2020, 01:32 PM

11,916 posts, read 3,744,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You've still lost me. We go from a passage indicating angels are rejoicing to you asking some garbled question about shepherds dancing?
Do you think that the passage relates to the physical creation of literal sun, moon, stars?

I believe Job has more to do with looking forward to this

Luk 2:8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
Luk 2:9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
Luk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
Luk 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
Luk 2:12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
Luk 2:13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
Luk 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Luk 2:15 And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.

In Job it refers to the placing of the cornerstone as the time that the morning stars, and son of God were rejoicing, which in the NT we are told relates to Jesus

Job 38:6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Which relates to this

Psa 118:21 I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation.
Psa 118:22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.
Psa 118:23 This is the LORD'S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.
Psa 118:24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psa 118:25 Save now, I beseech thee, O LORD: O LORD, I beseech thee, send now prosperity.

And this

Mat 21:42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?
Mat 21:43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.
Mat 21:44 And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

And this

Act 4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
Act 4:11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Old 09-03-2020, 02:57 PM

28,133 posts, read 30,057,135 times
Quote:

I think they were rejoicing about the Creation, too, but I believe we were the "sons of God," the ones doing the rejoicing. (This kind of ties into my belief in our pre-mortal existence.)

Old 09-03-2020, 03:32 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,806,331 times
Quote:
I think they were rejoicing about the Creation, too, but I believe we were the "sons of God," the ones doing the rejoicing. (This kind of ties into my belief in our pre-mortal existence.)
The "sons of God" is also referenced in Job 1:6. My bible has an annotation about "the sons of God" being a divine counsel. It seems that the majority of scholars and theologians agree that the term "sons of God" (in the sense of Job) is referring to angels.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:41 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,900,789 times
Phrase in the Bible have different meanings. Both Jesus and Satan are referred to as "morning star" at different places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity