Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 05:23 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
I have debated many who try to use Greek to change what the scriptures say.

It is kind of funny how only words that prove people's false doctrines wrong are the only words that are said to be wrong.

How about the other scripture I gave, you can't think of a way out of that one?
Unless you are fluent in Koine Greek and reading the Bible (at least the New Testament) in its native language, every word you read has been selected by a translator and the best choice to represent the way he thinks the Greek words should be interpreted. The Bible was not written in 17th Century English.

Old 11-05-2022, 05:37 AM

344 posts, read 144,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Unless you are fluent in Koine Greek and reading the Bible (at least the New Testament) in its native language, every word you read has been selected by a translator and the best choice to represent the way he thinks the Greek words should be interpreted. The Bible was not written in 17th Century English.
What are you really saying here? A person must be fluid in Greek to understand the true meaning of the Bible and it's New Testament components? Your basing your subjective view on the subjectivity of the translator at the time? What you fail to understand is the Translator was under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and he chose the words for translation.

You do not believe in the supernatural? Then your answer is understandable.

You can even go further. Life itself is subjective and words mean different things to different folks. Some say faith is simple belief with no obedience. Some say obedience is a component of faith. Which one is correct?

Wisdom is always justified by it's children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaEnd View Post
What are you really saying here? A person must be fluid in Greek to understand the true meaning of the Bible and it's New Testament components? Your basing your subjective view on the subjectivity of the translator at the time? What you fail to understand is the Translator was under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and he chose the words for translation.

You do not believe in the supernatural? Then your answer is understandable.

You can even go further. Life itself is subjective and words mean different things to different folks. Some say faith is simple belief with no obedience. Some say obedience is a component of faith. Which one is correct?

Wisdom is always justified by it's children.
You read far more into my post than I put in it.

There is no evidence any of the hundreds of Bible translators were divinely inspired. We know a little about the KJV translators, but they never said they were divinely inspired.

Old 11-05-2022, 06:59 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,175,285 times
Quote:
I think, early Christian movement developed a 'slang' within Koine Greek. But you are correct.

Old 11-05-2022, 07:47 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,021,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It is so seldom on this forum that I hear anyone refer to Jesus Christ as our brother.
There are numerous unions of relationship within our God. The deepest union within the Christ is to be made just like him in every aspect of becoming.

"For he knew all about us before we were born and he destined us from the beginning to share the likeness of his Son. This means the Son is the oldest among a vast family of brothers and sisters who will become just like him." ~TPT

Old 11-05-2022, 09:22 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
You read far more into my post than I put in it.

There is no evidence any of the hundreds of Bible translators were divinely inspired. We know a little about the KJV translators, but they never said they were divinely inspired.
My first impulse was to correct your previous statement and tell you that there are some excellent tools available to anyone that wants to use them.

That said, you're absolutely correct. The KJV translators were not inspired. They had only a few manuscripts to use, and they made their best guess at times. Sometimes it was great quality work, sometimes not so much. Even the translators knew they weren't inspired.

Since then, there have been MANY more manuscripts discovered, and we really are quite certain at what the original manuscripts said.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
My first impulse was to correct your previous statement and tell you that there are some excellent tools available to anyone that wants to use them.

That said, you're absolutely correct. The KJV translators were not inspired. They had only a few manuscripts to use, and they made their best guess at times. Sometimes it was great quality work, sometimes not so much. Even the translators knew they weren't inspired.

Since then, there have been MANY more manuscripts discovered, and we really are quite certain at what the original manuscripts said.
That's quite true. However, none of those manuscripts were written in English. If you want to understand the nuance of something written in another language, you need to learn to read and understand the language in which the document is written because looking words up in a dictionary does not teach you the context that caused a particular word to be chosen. That's why translation always involves a certain amount of interpretation.

Ir reminds me of something I saw in Spanish class half a century ago. The teacher told a guy that, while his translation was literally correct, he might have better luck asking the girl out on a date instead of asking her for an appointment.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:34 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
That's quite true. However, none of those manuscripts were written in English.
Yes. That's correct. But that doesn't mean we can't translate them accurately.
Quote:

If you want to understand the nuance of something written in another language, you need to learn to read and understand the language in which the document is written because looking words up in a dictionary does not teach you the context that caused a particular word to be chosen. That's why translation always involves a certain amount of interpretation.
There really are some excellent tools, some free, some not, that help one to understand it. One can use a Lexicon, as well as some excellent trusted scholars.

That said, I think we're mostly in agreement on this one.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:11 AM

4,085 posts, read 872,849 times
Quote:
Not sure what point you are trying to make. There are many translations in the English, and though some use one synonym over another, it still doesn't cause for false doctrines, even though I use a translation of the KJV to settle difficult topics.

God says He gives understanding to those who obey Him. We don't have to know another language to know God. He brings His word to us in our languages.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:20 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It is so seldom on this forum that I hear anyone refer to Jesus Christ as our brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
There are numerous unions of relationship within our God. The deepest union within the Christ is to be made just like him in every aspect of becoming.

"For he knew all about us before we were born and he destined us from the beginning to share the likeness of his Son. This means the Son is the oldest among a vast family of brothers and sisters who will become just like him." ~TPT
So glad to see two of my favorite people agreeing on what should have been obvious to everyone from the very beginning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity