Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 10:53 AM

11,066 posts, read 7,139,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
In the Bible it says that the world will end and either God or man will cause a physical global calamity like nuclear war is a possible example, and otherwise that the world itself will become a sort of Hell anyway and there is nothing any good person can do about it. I feel like if God will allow that magnitude of things to happen, then he doesn't so much care about the people he created or is apathetic, he is more like "This is the way I made it, do not question how I made it or be frustrated about it or you will go to Hell for eternity, so suck it up".

It also makes me feel bad because I am young, and there are other younger people who will be upset that they will not see their 40th or 50th because of living their prime years during the end times. Why doesn't God choose to just spare us of the events that are provoking the end of days and have this world live for longer? He doesn't have to burn it all down to make conditions better.
God made a beautiful planet, an amazing human body, interesting creatures and wonderful food. He says to go forth and multiply.

Jesus came to show the way to live; with ourselves, with others, even the universe.

Every day is a day to live and breathe and contribute to a greater good; for ourselves, our family, our friends, even our jobs.

You're ruining your mind and outlook before even taking a step or doing anything. Get out of the funk of misery and dysfunction of the world, and start living and celebrating. Stop looking from side to side - to dumb people and a dismal world - and look up and also within, for beauty and peace. No one's going to do it for you. Today could be a big day for a new start. It's never too late.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-22-2023 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 11:23 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
God made a beautiful planet, an amazing human body, interesting creatures and wonderful food. He says to go forth and multiply.

Jesus came to show the way to live; with ourselves, with others, even the universe.

Every day is a day to live and breathe and contribute to a greater good; for ourselves, our family, our friends, even our jobs.

You're ruining your mind and outlook before even taking a step or doing anything. Get out of the funk of misery and dysfunction of the world, and start living and celebrating. Stop looking from side to side - to dumb people and a dismal world - and look up and also within, for beauty and peace. No one's going to do it for you. Today could be a big day for a new start. It's never too late.
Wonderful advice! The world is as YOU see it. What YOU focus on will determine YOUR experience of it.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:26 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Your god can get lonely and bored? What kind of a god is that? If he got bored back then, what's to say he won't get bored again?

Sounds more like a petty and fickle Greek or Roman god than the God of Christianity as commonly understood.
Of course God can get bored. At least in my view. Why did he make creation? Because of a *want.*

Old 02-22-2023, 11:31 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Of course God can get bored. At least in my view. Why did he make creation? Because of a *want.*
If God can get bored, then that would mean that God is lacking in Himself.

God made the world because He is Loving and Good and wanted to share His Infinite Goodness with other rational creatures.

Study your Catechism!

Old 02-22-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
If God can get bored, then that would mean that God is lacking in Himself.

God made the world because He is Loving and Good and wanted to share His Infinite Goodness with other rational creatures.

Study your Catechism!
God is chastising us with Mike. Thank you, Lord, for this lesson in not strangling someone.

Yes, he wanted to share. He obviously was lacking something. Correct?

So he was either lonely, bored, or both.

Otherwise he would have been satisfied feeling His own love. There would be no reason to "share" it with anything. Why would there?

God has needs. God has wants. It says so right in the Bible. He is shown countless times to desire that people do certain things. He is shown to feel anger. He is shown to feel pleasure.

He has needs and He has wants.

And he was dissatisfied being all alone.

I call that boredom but you can call it whatever blows your skirt up.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:36 AM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
I don't believe in a millennium, or am at least agnostic about there being one.
Quote:
If you don't believe this but do believe God wants to hurt people, have you asked yourself why you are so willing to believe that God is bad and so unwilling to believe that good things could eventually happen? IOW, you say you're agnostic...until you think about pain, then you apparently full-on believe in God and you believe he's terrible. That doesn't really connect.

Maybe this isn't about God. Just saying.
He was saying he was agnostic about the concept of the millennium

The problem is there are many different interpretations of what the millennium is, and what leads up to that millennium- I think that is what ghostee is struggling with, other peoples views and perspectives

Old 02-22-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
He was saying he was agnostic about the concept of the millennium

The problem is there are many different interpretations of what the millennium is, and what leads up to that millennium- I think that is what ghostee is struggling with, other peoples views and perspectives
Right...I know...I was just noting that it is odd that he fully believes one religious concept but doesn't believe the one that could bring about good things.

I have been there so I was pointing it out. It is something to think about, IMO.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:44 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Yes, he wanted to share. He obviously was lacking something. Correct?
Absolutely not! God wanted to share out of His overabundance of Goodness and Love, not out of a lack.

Quote:
So he was either lonely, bored, or both.
That does not follow at all.

Quote:
Otherwise he would have been satisfied feeling His own love. There would be no reason to "share" it with anything. Why would there?
He absolutely was satisfied in Himself. The reason is nothing but His own Goodness, Love, and Generosity.

Quote:
God has needs. God has wants. It says so right in the Bible. He is shown countless times to desire that people do certain things. He is shown to feel anger. He is shown to feel pleasure.

He has needs and He has wants.
If God has "needs", then he cannot be God. You have a pagan understanding of God, which you need to correct.

Quote:
And he was dissatisfied being all alone.
"Dissatisfied" is not the right word to use, nor was God ever alone.

It would be more accurate to say that God was so supremely and perfectly satisfied, that He wanted to share His Goodness and Love with other rational creatures.

God is a perfect fellowship - a Trinity.

Quote:
I call that boredom but you can call it whatever blows your skirt up.
Words matter.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Absolutely not! God wanted to share out of His overabundance of Goodness and Love, not out of a lack.
Words DO matter. Where in scripture does it say God had an overabundance of love?

Indeed, that implies imperfection. How can God have too much of something?

And where did I say that meant a lack? If you have love and you want to share it that isn't a lack of love. I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean by that. It is you who are stating God has an imperfection, that He has too much of something.

As for God already being satisfied, no, He was not. Or He would have stayed with things as they were.

He wanted more.

Old 02-22-2023, 12:50 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
In the Bible it says that the world will end and either God or man will cause a physical global calamity like nuclear war is a possible example, and otherwise that the world itself will become a sort of Hell anyway and there is nothing any good person can do about it. I feel like if God will allow that magnitude of things to happen, then he doesn't so much care about the people he created or is apathetic, he is more like "This is the way I made it, do not question how I made it or be frustrated about it or you will go to Hell for eternity, so suck it up".

It also makes me feel bad because I am young, and there are other younger people who will be upset that they will not see their 40th or 50th because of living their prime years during the end times. Why doesn't God choose to just spare us of the events that are provoking the end of days and have this world live for longer? He doesn't have to burn it all down to make conditions better.

The whole thing just sounds like a kid developing a miniature world where he brings mice to play in and only to bring a cat in to destroy the mice and mice things, and the kid shrugs and says "Guess I'll make another different plan then".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

^^ this !

God makes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, the rain to fall on both the just and the unjust,
and there has never been a better time than the present to stand apart and rise to heroic levels of Love & virtue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity