Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 06:08 PM

661 posts, read 522,251 times

Advertisements

Okay, God created the earth and he called it "good" and yet Satan was allowed to take over and God now "regrets" creating humanity (in later Genesis it literally says this). And in fact the Bible also says Satan is the "god of this world" implying that God himself no longer has any control or influence over his own creation. He still tolerates Satan egging on us today, God would even still tolerate Satan's agents on earth started a nuclear holocaust destroying all natural living organisms and life as we know it permanently, and yet there are starving children who haven't been fed yet or billions of other people living in some kind of unresolved unfortunate or tragic life situation. And God just says "be patient", but life does not wait, people get old, civilizations rise and fall, etc.

In the Bible it says that the world will end and either God or man will cause a physical global calamity like nuclear war is a possible example, and otherwise that the world itself will become a sort of Hell anyway and there is nothing any good person can do about it. I feel like if God will allow that magnitude of things to happen, then he doesn't so much care about the people he created or is apathetic, he is more like "This is the way I made it, do not question how I made it or be frustrated about it or you will go to Hell for eternity, so suck it up".

It also makes me feel bad because I am young, and there are other younger people who will be upset that they will not see their 40th or 50th because of living their prime years during the end times. Why doesn't God choose to just spare us of the events that are provoking the end of days and have this world live for longer? He doesn't have to burn it all down to make conditions better.

The whole thing just sounds like a kid developing a miniature world where he brings mice to play in and only to bring a cat in to destroy the mice and mice things, and the kid shrugs and says "Guess I'll make another different plan then".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 07:05 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
The Holy Scriptures are about the religious and social and political universe but uses the natural universe and world as types or symbols

So when it speaks of water you need to go to where the symbol is explained or revealed in its meaning….. so with Noah building the Ark to protect his family from the flood the water is not literal water Revelation tells us what the water is

Rev 17:15**And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the ***** sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

The Holy Scripture needs to be understood within its own contexts as it explains its own symbols

Mountains, trees, lambs, serpents represent things in the (real) political and religious and social environment

Old 02-21-2023, 08:11 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
My belief is that God was lonely and bored and so His creation was made to experience everything from a different perspective from his own. A material one. Ergo we are all parts of God. Everything is. Even Satan. If we came from His words we came from Him.

I may be different in my belief that He may not have understood at the time how far it would go or how it would actually feel to suffer and now with all the literal karma (cause and effect, if you will) things have to just ping pong back and forth on and on until we ALL manage to overcome.

I believe that is why Isaiah stated that everyone will ultimately come to God (ultimately return to that transcendent state). Nothing can "end" until we do. Yet ultimately, it is inevitable.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:05 PM

I don't believe it is possible for God to have been lonely or bored. And I presume that he did know how far we would go because he has foreknowledge.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I don't believe it is possible for God to have been lonely or bored. And I presume that he did know how far we would go because he has foreknowledge.
1. Why isn't it possible for God to be lonely or bored?

2. What makes you think God has foreknowledge of everything?

Old 02-21-2023, 10:55 PM

10,486 posts, read 7,019,483 times
You closed your Bible a bit too soon. You do realize, that although Tribulation occurs, Satan is locked away and Jesus returns for a millenial reign. The world goes through a complete enlightenment period. World peace, animals wont be afraid of humans, people lifespans rapidly increase, aging slows down its supposed to be awesome.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
You closed your Bible a bit too soon. You do realize, that although Tribulation occurs, Satan is locked away and Jesus returns for a millenial reign. The world goes through a complete enlightenment period. World peace, animals wont be afraid of humans, people lifespans rapidly increase, aging slows down its supposed to be awesome.

I don't believe in a millennium, or am at least agnostic about there being one.

Old 02-22-2023, 09:47 AM

14,886 posts, read 17,174,505 times
Quote:
Okay, God created the earth and he called it "good" and yet Satan was allowed to take over and God now "regrets" creating humanity (in later Genesis it literally says this). And in fact the Bible also says Satan is the "god of this world" implying that God himself no longer has any control or influence over his own creation
I believe that God has a purpose for all things, including what He allows or permits Satan to do. He "regretting" that He made humanity is an example of God accommodating, condescending to us, relating to us, on our level, much like a parent might speak to a child on his or her level. He does not really regret making us as He never makes mistakes. He is perfect in every way. God has never given up His control to Satan. In fact He works all things according to His own will according to the scriptures. Ephesians 1. We do not yet see all things in subjection to Him, which is His plan, but one day we will. Hebrews 1. God bless.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:46 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
My belief is that God was lonely and bored
Your god can get lonely and bored? What kind of a god is that? If he got bored back then, what's to say he won't get bored again?

Sounds more like a petty and fickle Greek or Roman god than the God of Christianity as commonly understood.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I don't believe in a millennium, or am at least agnostic about there being one.
If you don't believe this but do believe God wants to hurt people, have you asked yourself why you are so willing to believe that God is bad and so unwilling to believe that good things could eventually happen? IOW, you say you're agnostic...until you think about pain, then you apparently full-on believe in God and you believe he's terrible. That doesn't really connect.

Maybe this isn't about God. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity