Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 02:54 AM

4,859 posts, read 450,647 times

Advertisements

All of this Dominionist and Milienarianism stuff is misguided nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 03:35 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
Problem is that people have no say to judge what God does and what He does not do

Old 02-24-2023, 05:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Problem is that people have no say to judge what God does and what He does not do
No, but we can try to understand.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:11 PM

4,859 posts, read 450,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Okay, God created the earth and he called it "good" and yet Satan was allowed to take over and God now "regrets" creating humanity (in later Genesis it literally says this). And in fact the Bible also says Satan is the "god of this world" implying that God himself no longer has any control or influence over his own creation. He still tolerates Satan egging on us today, God would even still tolerate Satan's agents on earth started a nuclear holocaust destroying all natural living organisms and life as we know it permanently, and yet there are starving children who haven't been fed yet or billions of other people living in some kind of unresolved unfortunate or tragic life situation. And God just says "be patient", but life does not wait, people get old, civilizations rise and fall, etc.

In the Bible it says that the world will end and either God or man will cause a physical global calamity like nuclear war is a possible example, and otherwise that the world itself will become a sort of Hell anyway and there is nothing any good person can do about it. I feel like if God will allow that magnitude of things to happen, then he doesn't so much care about the people he created or is apathetic, he is more like "This is the way I made it, do not question how I made it or be frustrated about it or you will go to Hell for eternity, so suck it up".

It also makes me feel bad because I am young, and there are other younger people who will be upset that they will not see their 40th or 50th because of living their prime years during the end times. Why doesn't God choose to just spare us of the events that are provoking the end of days and have this world live for longer? He doesn't have to burn it all down to make conditions better.

The whole thing just sounds like a kid developing a miniature world where he brings mice to play in and only to bring a cat in to destroy the mice and mice things, and the kid shrugs and says "Guess I'll make another different plan then".
I'm sorry to say this:
This is what happens when you read the bible literally, like a newspaper report and a blow by blow description of what's actually going to happen--- and WHY.

Scripture depicts what humans attribute to God. Mostly, anyway. Because Re: the sayings of Jesus: at least SOME of them are surely correct and passed down to us accurately. That's just one example. But jesus taught in parables, though, didn't he? .....The bible is LITERATURE. OK, immediately there are some who will jump to remind me that the bible is INSPIRED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT.

Agreed! But what does that MEAN? The mainline, mainstream churches have never precisely pinned down exactly what "inspiration by the Holy Spirit" means.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:46 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,958,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
I'm sorry to say this:
This is what happens when you read the bible literally, like a newspaper report and a blow by blow description of what's actually going to happen--- and WHY.
Scripture depicts what humans attribute to God. Mostly, anyway. Because Re: the sayings of Jesus: at least SOME of them are surely correct and passed down to us accurately. That's just one example. But jesus taught in parables, though, didn't he? .....The bible is LITERATURE. OK, immediately there are some who will jump to remind me that the bible is INSPIRED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT.
Agreed! But what does that MEAN? The mainline, mainstream churches have never precisely pinned down exactly what "inspiration by the Holy Spirit" means.
Besides 2nd Timothy 3:16 that ALL Scripture is inspired by God, (given by inspiration by God) I find at 2nd Peter 1:21 that the Bible writers were moved by God's spirit. (motivated or helped by God's spirit - Psalm 104:30)
Moved in the sense that Bible writers could choose their own words but guided by God's spirit.
Thus, the end product is truly the Word of God, God's written Word - 1st Thess. 2:13
Or, as Psalm 119:105 says God's Word (Scripture) is like a light (flashlight) to one's feet/immediate footsteps,
and like bright High Beams to the dark road ahead of us. - Proverbs 4:18

Old 03-03-2023, 04:59 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,958,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
All of this Dominionist and Milienarianism stuff is misguided nonsense.
To me what is written in chapter 21 of Luke is Not misguided nor nonsense - Luke 21:11
ALL that Matthew 24, Mark 13; and Luke 21 forewarned us is on a global scale today as never before in history.
So, we are at the 'final phase' of Matt. 24:14; Acts 1:8. Just as Jesus instructed to do.
This means we are nearing the 'final signal', so to speak, as found at 1st Thess. 5:2-3
When the powers in charge will be saying, " Peace and Security...." that Rosy saying can lead people down that old Primrose Path because that saying is really the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Rev. 7:14 before Jesus takes the action of Isaiah 11:3-4; Rev. 19:14-15, when the 'sword-like executional words from Jesus' mouth' will rid the Earth of the wicked and signal the start of calendar Day One of Jesus' Millennium-Long Day of governing over Earth in righteousness for a thousand years.- 1st Cor. 15:24-26
Mankind's long history has proven beyond doubt that MAN had dominated MAN to MAN's hurt, MAN's injury.
There is No other solution but for God's Kingdom to come........ (thy kingdom come.....) - Daniel 2:44-45

Old 03-11-2023, 04:00 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
God witnesses the destruction of the earth many times like the ice ages and the meteor catastrophizes, and other destruction which came from the fallen angels who bring the weather influences........... So God does not like the destruction but is fully capable of bring the earth back to life again and again ......... And God is capable and bringing life back to the earth after the total annihilation of life on the earth from these nuclear bombs of the earth today which God plans if these nations push these weapons on the earth ........ See God is the God of life and judge of death, as He does proclaim that Jesus is an everlasting kingdom that goes beyond forever

Old 03-11-2023, 09:44 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Okay, God created the earth and he called it "good" and yet Satan was allowed to take over and God now "regrets" creating humanity (in later Genesis it literally says this).
Genesis 6:6 is not to be taken as meaning that God wishes He had not created humanity. The Hebrew word used in Genesis 6:6 is yin'nā'hem, and it would have been more correctly translated as feeling pain, sadness, or unhappiness. It should be understood as meaning that God is feeling grief over how His children are behaving, not feeling that He made a mistake in creating us.

Old 03-11-2023, 11:06 AM

91 posts, read 24,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Genesis 6:6 is not to be taken as meaning that God wishes He had not created humanity. The Hebrew word used in Genesis 6:6 is yin'nā'hem, and it would have been more correctly translated as feeling pain, sadness, or unhappiness. It should be understood as meaning that God is feeling grief over how His children are behaving, not feeling that He made a mistake in creating us.

Seems more than ludicrous for this god to be grieving over the behavior he promulgated. It gave its completely ignorant creation only 2 choices - Life, or Knowledge. Putting aside for a moment the question of what kind of loving father would deny its children Knowledge, what sense does it make for this god to whine that his children are behaving in an ignorant way.... when he made them ignorant?

Old 03-11-2023, 12:39 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Dl View Post
According to Nachmanides, not good but ' mostly good'. One True God is Spirit and does not dwell on lower Earth level.
I think it is both within and above

The contact is through channels and vessels, and there is specific timing as well set out in the Scriptures

Psa 139:7**Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
Psa 139:8**If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
Psa 139:9**If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
Psa 139:10**Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

Eph 4:6**One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
Eph 4:7**But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
Eph 4:8**Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
Eph 4:9**(Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
Eph 4:10**He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things
.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity