Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:34 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristaleigh View Post
Hello...let me give you a little background without writing a novel if at all possible.
You story has so many parallels with folks I talk with everyday who left and no longer believe in Mormonism. If you would like, you can read my story here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...mormonism.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
You story has so many parallels with folks I talk with everyday who left and no longer believe in Mormonism. If you would like, you can read my story here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...mormonism.html
There is a different answer than being a non-theist. But you are correct, there are parallels between Mormonism and JW.

His Healing Now was created for people like yourself.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,779 times
YouTube - Hillsong- Lord of Lords

Old 04-21-2011, 01:13 PM

190 posts, read 242,371 times
Jesus said on the cross IT IS FINISHED..God has already proved HIS LOVE for humananity..JOHN 3:16 For God so LOVED the world that He gave HIs only begotten Son that whosoever believe in Him will not perish but will have everlasting life....whosoever believe in his heart and and confess will be saved

on live your own life. You must do ALL the things that their "society" says becasue they claim to be God's ONLY TRUE spokesperson. If I were to do something that I felt in good conscience in front of God to do (like smoke a cigarette, celebrate a birthday, take a blood transfusion, etc...) but the JWs said it was wrong, I could be disfellowshipped (excommunicated) and not be able to even speak to anyone who is a JW. My own mother is a JW so that is not what I want. I haven't been to their church in three years so I feel no danger that I will be disfellowshiped, but I haven't been to any other church either (That is just about the ultimate sin according to the JW) and feel so worried about things that I never worried about before becasue I had faith in God; things like, What happens to me when I die? Will I see my children/husband/parents again when we die? Is God real and does He approve of my life even though I am not a JW? I know it is hard for some to understand, but it is all I have ever know.
I am never at peace and won't be until I feel God in my life again. It has robbed me of much joy. Thanks for listening!
Btw, I pray to God and ask for Him to show me that He's there and real and loves me, but I see and feel nothing. I feel like I am talking to myself. Why is this???[/quote]

Old 04-21-2011, 01:32 PM

I once went through a time when I began to doubt God (slightly... because of bad things happening to "good" people... and good people who don't believe) and after a few weeks of thoroughly examining my life's experiences and beliefs about God my conclusion was that I am such a worthless excuse for a child of God, and that God is in fact there in His Holy humble spirit as allways, ready to answer my prayer... and like allways, show me the state of the heart of mankind. I know without a doubt because of certain experiences, that Yahushua / Jesus is God manefested to us all, and since that's true then a whole lot more is true.

The Key - "Prayer to God through Yahushua"

If we really want help then we MUST pray.

"God, I'm sorry but I have these doubts. Will you help me" in the name of Yahushua... So Be It.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:44 PM

910 posts, read 1,338,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
I hope this is helpful.

Place your trust in Scripture. We all know that the New Testament that we all read is a product of the 4th century A.D. This is a point that Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Protestants, and various sects have no business but to agree to. It's historical fact. The concept of the Trinity predates the New Testament. Let me repeat myself. The concept of the Trinity (in Creedal form) predates the New Testament. That is the New Testament that I (as a Lutheran), you (as a former JW), Roman Catholics, Orthodox, Baptists, and all other Protestants read. The JWs have been around for about 140 years, and have placed their theology far above the Word of God. Their church is a false church.
While I disagree with the JW on the trinity, I will not go as far as labeling them a false church. If you give them that label then all the churches of the world are false churches. What makes a church false? That they have one major doctrine wrong? How about the others? Lets see, they are wrong on these major issues:

a) Celebration of the death and resurrection after 2 days and two nights- not exactly what Christ predicted
b) Not believing in reincarnation which was preached by Christ.
c) False assumption that Christ will drop through the sky when it is clear from scripture that he will be born.
d) Not able to practice the word of God

I think the OP has enough sensible advise already, I am interested in seeing what she makes of the suggestions she has received on the forum

Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 AM

YouTube - Kari Jobe Healer

This morning as I woke up on the most beautifull river in America I pulled out from deep within my heart a request for God's help. As I stood there, watching the first rays of light hit this most beautifull landscape in the Cascade mountain range of Oregon, the Holy Spirit gave me a song:

YouTube - Creation Calls -- are you listening? Music by Brian Doerksen

Then as my voice rose up higher and higher to the throne the birds decided to wake up and join in the song. You would of had to have been there... but that was God.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:36 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
My biggest regret in my life is not accepting Jesus earlier! Just sent you a PM with a bunch of helpful links I hope.

God bless you.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:25 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristaleigh View Post
Hello...let me give you a little background without writing a novel if at all possible.
I was raised a Jehovah's Witness. I was very happy through my childhood as one. I always had peace with God and faith in the bible and his promises.
Three years ago I left an abusive marriage (and got a divorce) and later started dating someone who was not a Jehovah's Witness. He is my husband now and he's wonderful and the closest friends I have. Since I have been with him I haven't practiced the JW religion. I started reading and doing my own studying and started disagreeing with a lot of things and felt that in good conscience I couldn't go back to the JWs.
The problem is that I equiviated an organization with God himself for so long that I feel like I can't have a relationship with him anymore becasue he only will "deal" with me if I am part of His "true" religion.... and because I feel confused, scared, and guilty (just in case JW is the "true" religion as they claim to be) and what's worse is that I have started to lose all faith in God himself. Even though I have spoken to Him for years and FELT Him with me and gained so much stength and guidance form Him, I now wonder if He even exists! It is a TERRIBLE feeling to lose your faith. It is like losing a loved one in death...
When you are a JW, you cannot just go to the church for encouragment and take what you want from the sermons and go home and live your own life. You must do ALL the things that their "society" says becasue they claim to be God's ONLY TRUE spokesperson. If I were to do something that I felt in good conscience in front of God to do (like smoke a cigarette, celebrate a birthday, take a blood transfusion, etc...) but the JWs said it was wrong, I could be disfellowshipped (excommunicated) and not be able to even speak to anyone who is a JW. My own mother is a JW so that is not what I want. I haven't been to their church in three years so I feel no danger that I will be disfellowshiped, but I haven't been to any other church either (That is just about the ultimate sin according to the JW) and feel so worried about things that I never worried about before becasue I had faith in God; things like, What happens to me when I die? Will I see my children/husband/parents again when we die? Is God real and does He approve of my life even though I am not a JW? I know it is hard for some to understand, but it is all I have ever know.
I am never at peace and won't be until I feel God in my life again. It has robbed me of much joy. Thanks for listening!
Btw, I pray to God and ask for Him to show me that He's there and real and loves me, but I see and feel nothing. I feel like I am talking to myself. Why is this???
Krista...I can relate to the anguish that you're going through right now. Indoctrination is a terrible and difficult influence to undo.
Be at peace in knowing that when you start your journey to GOD, it would "seem" that you walk alone...until you sense that the Holy Spirit has always been with you, guiding every single step you make with unconditional love, let this be your guide.

Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Matthew 6:25 Take no thought for your life, what you shall eat, or what you drink; not yet for your body, what you shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Krista, I was once 7 years into studying with the JW's before I finally just said no thank you..That and another church (or religion) had almost zapped me of all my faith..But God never left me, He stayed silently beside me until I came to a place that I needeed Him to help me, because no one else could..I turned to Him and just asked that He help me overcome all the pain, rules and restrictiuons and hipocracy of manmade religion..With the help of the Holy
spirit I was able to remove all of the "religion" from my soul and began to establish a personal bond with my savior and His Spirit began to guide me through the teachings of Christ and His early church..I don't go to church , because of the conflict it would cause with family, but I am closer and more at peace with God than ever before..Best of luck my friend..I am afraid that the active JW's here will not speak to you, because like me you are an apostate to them, and they are forbidden to associate with us...
And to you Miss Blue:
Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of GOD.

Peace to all!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 PM

335 posts, read 375,777 times
Many reasons to reject this man-made religion from their own publications: Quotes Watchtower Interesting and Embarrassing moments in Jehovah Witness History

Some of this information is just hilarious.

For thos who do not think this is a cult, maybe this testimony should be considered: For an Answer: Chrsitian Apologetics - WT Testifies about False Prophecy

Grant Suiter testified:
  • Q. Indeed can any person...have an understanding of the Scriptures apart from the publications of Jehovah's Witnesses?
    A. No.
    Q. Only by the publications can he have a right understanding of the Scriptures?
    A. That is right.
    Q. Is that not arrogance?
  • A. No.

Mr. H.C.Covington, the head legal counsel of the Society at that time, gave the following testimony:

Q. Back to the point now. A false prophesy was promulgated?

A. I agree that.

Q. It had to be accepted by Jehovah's Witnesses?

A. That is correct.

Q. If a member of Jehovah's Witnesses took the view himself that that prophesy was wrong and said so he would be disfellowshipped?

A.Yes, if he said so and kept persisting in creating trouble, because if the whole organisation believes one thing, even though it be erronious and somebody else starts on his own trying to put his ideas across then there is disunity and trouble, there cannot be harmony, there cannot be marching. When a change comes it should come from the proper source, the head of the organisation, the governing body, not from the bottom upwards, because everybody would have ideas, and the organisation would disintegrate and go in a thousand different directions. Our purpose is to have unity.

Q. Unity at all costs?

A. Unity at all costs, because we believe and are sure that Jehovah God is using our organisation, the governing body of our organisation to direct it, even though mistakes are made from time to time.

Q. And unity based upon an enforced acceptance of false prophecy?

A. That is conceded to be true.

Q. And the person who expressed his view, as you say, that it was wrong, and was disfellowshipped, would be in breach of the Covenant, if he was baptized?

A. That is correct.

Q. And as you said yesterday expressly, would be worthy of death?

A. I think - - -

Q. Would you say yes or no?

A. I will answer yes, unhesitatingly.

Q. Do you call that religion?

A. It certainly is.

Q. Do you call it Christianity?

A. I certainly do.
Can be downloaded here: The 1954 Walsh Trial Transcript by Court of Scotland in Religion & Spirituality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity