Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 01:48 PM

25 posts, read 23,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Wrong! Matthew 22:21
22:21 They say to him, Cesar's. Then saith he to them, Render therefore to Cesar, the things which are Cesar's; and to God, the things that are God's.

This quote is about paying tax not submission. Quite different things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You have just implied that the majority of the New Testament is a fraud. In so doing you have attacked the word of God.

I didn't attack the word of God merely the integrity of the bible (which tranlates to "the books") put together during the fourth century by men.

In Acts, which was written by Luke, the Lord gave His endorsment of Paul.

You got that right written BY Luke, not Yahweh or the Holy spirit, but just Luke as he says himself in Luke 1:1-4

Here is Peter's endorsment of Paul.

Not even one of the apostles got even a warning from Yahweh that He was sending a brand new "star" Apostle to revolutionize the movement and set the news laws of Christianity in motion and that one quote is the best you can do???

Who are you to argue with the Lord? Who are you to dispute the testamony of the other apostles concerning Paul?
As far as I understand the one true message of Jesus, it was all about LOVE and I certainly do not dispute that! Maybe it would be quite a different world if all Christians would understand that instead of fighting over doctrines!

Old 07-18-2011, 02:50 PM

33,245 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Is God View Post
As far as I understand the one true message of Jesus, it was all about LOVE and I certainly do not dispute that! Maybe it would be quite a different world if all Christians would understand that instead of fighting over doctrines!
And yet, you sought to dispute the Scriptures concerning Paul. As the Scriptures I mentioned show, Paul was a true apostle appointed by God. See post #230.

Jesus did not speak only of love.

And there are essential doctrines which must be defended against heresy. Truth takes precedence over unity. Unity at the expense of truth is evil.

Last edited by Michael Way; 07-18-2011 at 03:00 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
22:21 They say to him, Cesar's. Then saith he to them, Render therefore to Cesar, the things which are Cesar's; and to God, the things that are God's.

This quote is about paying tax not submission. Quite different things!
Different things? Really? I don't think so. If I pay my taxes, I am submitting to the authority of the government.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:20 PM

Default Blessed

Quote:
And yet, you sought to dispute the Scriptures concerning Paul. As the Scriptures I mentioned show, Paul was a true apostle appointed by God. See post #230.

Jesus did not speak only of love.

And there are essential doctrines which must be defended against heresy. Truth takes precedence over unity. Unity at the expense of truth is evil.
I dare call myself a blessed one because I wasn't raised a believer but in morality within a Catholic society. When I decided to read the bible on my own free will, to know what it was all about, I did see a light... one word that made it for me: LOVE! IF I were to believe the integrity of the sripture then I would have to reject all possible belief or the desire to believe when I first ran into one of the most dramatic story. 2 Samuel 21:1-14 which basicly (but please read for yourself) says that the human sacrifice of 7 of King Saul descendants appeased God and ended a 3 years famine. Do I believe this comes from Yahweh? If I would, I would simply reject such a God, but I am able to see that men have corrupted parts of the bible. What did shine above everything else for me was the gospel of John and his letters which above everything puts LOVE as the ultimate message Jesus's left.

And I feel sorry for you if you fail to see that love is all that matters. Under the LOVE you need no LAWS!!!!

Old 07-18-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I dare call myself a blessed one because I wasn't raised a believer but in morality within a Catholic society. When I decided to read the bible on my own free will, to know what it was all about, I did see a light... one word that made it for me: LOVE! IF I were to believe the integrity of the sripture then I would have to reject all possible belief or the desire to believe when I first ran into one of the most dramatic story. 2 Samuel 21:1-14 which basicly (but please read for yourself) says that the human sacrifice of 7 of King Saul descendants appeased God and ended a 3 years famine. Do I believe this comes from Yahweh? If I would, I would simply reject such a God, but I am able to see that men have corrupted parts of the bible. What did shine above everything else for me was the gospel of John and his letters which above everything puts LOVE as the ultimate message Jesus's left.

And I feel sorry for you if you fail to see that love is all that matters. Under the LOVE you need no LAWS!!!!
No. Love is not all that matters. Love cannot bury truth. As for 2 Samuel, it is a part of the word of God, but that is not the topic of the thread. And the Bible has been preserved. No doctrinal truth has been lost.

Again, I have shown you from the Scriptures that Paul was an apostle appointed by God, which refutes your claim that he wasn't.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Again, I have shown you from the Scriptures that Paul was an apostle appointed by God, which refutes your claim that he wasn't.
"In Acts, which was written by Luke, the Lord gave His endorsment of Paul."

You got that right written BY Luke, not Yahweh or the Holy spirit, but just Luke as he says himself in Luke 1:1-4 and without inspiration

Not even one of the apostles got even a warning from Yahweh that He was sending a brand new "star" Apostle to revolutionize the movement and set the news laws of Christianity in motion and that ONE quote is the best you can do???

Old 07-18-2011, 10:04 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
I have been reading some sites about Paul being a false apostle.

http://www.jesuswordsonly.com/freechapters.html (broken link)

Where does the division come from in Christianity? Does it come from the teachings of Paul? Are the New Testament christians followers of Paul? Jesus said that he did not come to abolish the law of Moses but to fulfil it and that the pharisees were teaching the doctrines of men, in place of/along side of the law of Moses.

Were the 12 apostles hand picked by Jesus and did they need to be eye witnesses of his baptism and resurrection? Does Pauls conversion seem to be similar to the experience of what a lot of Christians term false prophets - eg, Mohummad, Ellen White, Joseph Smith?

Are there any Messianic Jews here, what do you think about the teachings of Paul?
Actually it seems that Paul had bad relations with at least one early sect of Christianity, and he refers to the chiefest among them as "super apostles", though the way he employs the term is largely ironic. WE also see Paul rebuking Peter and confronting those whom he sought to please by his teaching the gentiles to observe the law, those men who were sent to him from James.

One of these groups was called the Ebionites, and as early as the second century they are recorded as having rejected Paul as an apostle.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
"In Acts, which was written by Luke, the Lord gave His endorsment of Paul."

You got that right written BY Luke, not Yahweh or the Holy spirit, but just Luke as he says himself in Luke 1:1-4 and without inspiration

Not even one of the apostles got even a warning from Yahweh that He was sending a brand new "star" Apostle to revolutionize the movement and set the news laws of Christianity in motion and that ONE quote is the best you can do???
The apostles and those such as Luke who were closely associated with the apostles wrote under inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Both the gospel of Luke and the book of Acts, also written by Luke are divinely inspired. The Holy Spirit guided Luke as he compiled his account.

The apostles knew that another apostle needed to be appointed to replace Judas Iscariot. They erroniously thought that they could draw straws to choose either Matthias or Barsabbas (Acts 1:21-26). Neither man was God's choice. God's choice was Saul of Tarsus/Paul.

Again, from post #230...

In Acts, which was written by Luke, the Lord gave His endorsment of Paul.

Acts 9:13 'But Ananias answered, ''Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he did to Thy saints at Jerusalem; 14] and here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call upon Thy name.''

15] But the Lord said to him, ''Go, for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel; 16] For I will show him how much he must suffer for My name's sake.''

2 Peter 3:14 'Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless 15] and regard the patience of our Lord to be salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16] as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Apparently you not only don't trust Paul, but you don't believe Luke, or Peter either. Peter recognized Pauls epistles as having the same authority as the Old Testament Scriptures.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:01 AM

Luke 1:1 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us,
1:2 Even as they delivered them to us, who from the beginning were eye-witnesses, and ministers of the word;
1:3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write to thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,
1:4 That thou mayest know the certainty of those things in which thou hast been instructed.

I'm sorry I don't get the hint where Luke says he is inspired by the Holy Spirit. I unsterdand that it seemed good to him to you write those things to Theophilus (not me, not you, not all of us 2000 years later but Theophilus!) But if anywhere else Luke explicitly says that he is writing under divine inspiration, please, point it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity