Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:04 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
(Matthew 28:19-20)

“Great Commission”:

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Jesus gave this command to the Apostles shortly before He ascended into Heaven, and it essentially outlines what Jesus expected the Apostles, and those who followed them, to do in His absence.

Well. for some this is a very touchy subject, including myself. Myself personally, believe that our actions speak far, far louder than words. Sometimes I see those who claim Christ, and wonder what Christ they claim. Even their speech isn't filled with the love that Christ showed, so how can they KNOW, what Truth they are teaching. I haven't baptized anyone, and like Paul didn't like to, would not, even if the opportunity arose to do so.

Sometimes people do not see the ramifications on what witnessing really is.

Witnessing on the behalf of our Savior and King is a really, REALLY, REALLY serious thing. Showing a person the love of God at work in your life, is one thing. Proclaiming Truth, as best YOU know it, by your mouth, is another. Even the Devil did that, to even Jesus Himself.

Jesus, and the rest of the Apostles WARNED in such a huge way, that I don't feel that most take the seriousness of it, which is, to BRIDLE the tongue.

As a witness to God, and to His Son, people are proclaiming what they perceive as Truth. What if you have it wrong? What if the doctrine you teach, is a false doctrine that doesn't line up with the attributes and essence of God. Can you imagine standing in front of God Almighty being a false witness?

The Apostles were endowed with the Power from on High, and had, in person, the Teacher of all Teachers. They WITNESSED HIM, HIMSELF. TAUGHT in person, for 3 years. Has any of us?

So, by what right do we proclaim to know something, unless the Teacher has taught this, Himself? And in order to do that, the Spirit MUST be the One leading, and we must be the ones following.

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians make for a lot of strife and conflicts, which is where most of the world is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 07:08 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,694,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
^ Oh yes, it is.

And here is something else that implies decision: That I or anyone else can decide to simply not listen and walk away. Which we do. ALOT. And why? --Because no one likes being told what they can and cannot do. No one likes feeling that their boundaries are being disrespected. No one likes feeling, as Steve_TN stated so well:

As further underscored by what Shana so accurately said:

So June's wondering what the real mission here is. To get people to listen to what you have to say? And if so, what is the most effective means by which to do that? So far this atheist is more inclined to listen to Shana and Steve. And why?

Because it's more respectful.

June tends to listen to those who do not regard her as a commodity. June tends to be more receptive to those who don't have any ego investment in her seeing it their way. June tends to be particularly receptive to those who are able to, who know how to capture her imagination by truly putting forth who and what Jesus was. Jesus didn't force himself on people. He didn't beat them over the head with a Bible (which yes, June realizes hadn't been written yet) and he didn't try and coerce. He didn't force people to do anything. He simply said:

"Follow me."

And people did.

Sometimes it's as simple as that.

Other times it's as simple as people like June just walking away. Or in some cases, in realizing that you've tried to come after her so strongly, she just flees. No mission accomplished there, as all you have proceeded to do is to once again reinforce the person's nonbelief...

And June's a very, very patient and receptive person.

If you want me to be receptive to you, you need to be receptive to me. It's all in the knowing of how to orchestrate "Follow me."

Take gentle witnessing care.

Love is....
1Cor.13:4-8
Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:16 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,063 times
Quote:
At least that's what June suspects, but what would June really know?
Methinks June knows and understands more than she lets on.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:22 AM

396 posts, read 837,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Methinks June knows and understands more than she lets on.
She does. lol.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:24 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,216 times
Like others, I spread Jesus through my day to day walk w/ Him. Just bowing our heads to give thanks for our meal in a restaurant is being a witness. I am not ashamed of my faith and strive for others to see Christ in me. My gift is teaching children and spreading the good news of God's love to them that will in turn be taken home to their family. The last thing I want to do is turn someone away from God by shoving my beliefs down their throat. It's kind of like forcing steak to a vegetarian. As much as I want someone to know Christ, the last thing I want to do is possibly forever turn them away from Him due to my obnoxious preaching.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:31 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
We don't all have the same gifts..Perhaps the disciples collectively or individually were given all gifts..In that day, since very few had heard the gospel the job of witnessing was much harder than it is today..The bible is available to almost everyone today, we have mass communication to about every where in the world.
Personally, I think the Holy spirit gives each of us gifts according to our human abilities, and personalities..
IMO, the lesson for us to learn is that no matter how great or humble our gift is , we must learn to honor and respect each one and each other in striving to use what we have been given together as one body..
We have to learn that each member is as important, though their job/gift may be different, as the other in order for the the body of Christ to function as one..
JMHO, as always

Old 10-10-2008, 09:03 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
Just wondering... when Noah was building the ark ... was that witnessing?
How many Christian churchs do you see in your neighborhood? How full are they on any given worship service? Do you believe they are empty because of lack of effort or because the Gospel is in a foreign language?

What if the mentality that is somewhat popular today - that "organized religion" is wrong - was in effect during Noah's day, would people who believe such, would they be found inside the ark or out?

Jesus said of Israel..

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing."

I believe what appears to be as non-witnessing by Christians is more of a reflection of the rejection of the truth of Gods Word than Christians not carring out the great commision.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:16 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,950 times
Quote:

“Great Commission”:

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Jesus gave this command to the Apostles shortly before He ascended into Heaven, and it essentially outlines what Jesus expected the Apostles, and those who followed them, to do in His absence.
I do! I do!

The single most rewarding thing a Christian can do is help others serve God 'willingly'. This can be done by approaching others in a door to door ministry (as the early disciples did), thru email, phone conversations, or even informally. But it is absolutely imparative.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:19 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
Quote:

“Great Commission”:

QUESTION--Is this accurate:

Make disciples=witnessing

Old 10-10-2008, 09:25 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
QUESTION--Is this accurate:

Make disciples=witnessing

Yes definitely by teaching!!

How would you interpret that verse? How did you come upon your interpretation? is your interpretation true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity