Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:04 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisiesnfreckles View Post
The church building itself is just a building...the verses you're referring to in 1 Timothy are in reference to the "household" of God, or those who comprise the family of God...not the actual building people meet in. The "church" is God's people. What is done in the church building on Sunday morning, as long as it glorifies God and raises Him up...and most of all, brings nonbelievers to Christ...then bring it on!

To tell the truth, I had a hard time discerning what you were referring to as "fun" things that aren't authorized. It sounds more like rules of a certain church rather than Christianity in general. Did you mean videos used as teaching aides?...contemporary bands doing the praise music?...a pastor who wears blue jeans instead of slacks? Or did you mean other things entirely?

When you think about it, the things that we consider "fun" that we do in church are actually bringing the youth of our society into a place they wouldn't otherwise come into, and changing the rest of their lives, both physical and eternal! The countless young people I've heard testimony from who have claimed it was the open-arms, "fun" approach that brought them in to begin with can't be a coincidence. I heard a quote once...I can't remember its author...it said, "Whoever controls the youth controls the future." Think about that for a second. All those kids who would otherwise never see the inside of a church building, and would otherwise be doing all sorts of "fun" things that are TRULY not of God, are being brought in to church by their friends because church is "cool", and their lives are changing forever! That can't be "unauthorized" by God, can it? On the contrary, I think God is the one who is "shouting for joy".
A question....what do you think the church building is for? A community get-to-gether ? Or for the members of the church to assemble together to serve God?
I don't know how long you have been here, but I have mentioned more than once that the building is not the church! So your first paragraph confuses me.

As for your second paragraph, the rules that the church of Christ abides by are those written in the New Testament. We come together to sing, pray, hear a lesson from the word, partake of the Lord's supper, and give as we have prospered. All of the above are authorized in the word. Doing His will is what glorifies God, not pleasing ourselves! ( And I do not find any manner of dress authorized! )

All of the faithful Christians that I have known, for the 42 years of my Christian life, did not have to be entertained to be faithful. If the youth of today have to be, there is something missing somewhere.
Yes, we do enjoy fellowshipping, but we do not require entertainment such as you are speaking of.

Too bad your quotes can not be found in the scriptures. In them, it is the parents who have the responsibility of 'entertaining' and raising their children...not the church. Perhaps there is the answer...the responsibility has been turned over to the 'church' and the school !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 04:23 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Perhaps there is the answer...the responsibility has been turned over to the 'church' and the school !
Sadly, that's true.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:53 PM

396 posts, read 838,183 times
So, I'm just curious, would you rather see something along the lines of a Quaker Service where a scripture is read and then you sit in silence and meditate about that scripture for like an hour? What exactly would you rather see in a church service? A friend asked me to figure out what I would want to see in a church if I could make my own. I thought about it for a very long time. Even kept a journal about it. Then I finally stopped and realized that all I really wanted to see in a church was God. So, what's that mean? At least to me, it means that where ever you feel comfortable is where you should be. So wether that means you go to High Mass, a Life Team Mass, a "Traditional Service," or a "Contemporary Service," as long as you feel comfortable it shouldn't be an issue. Now, personally, I've been to so called "Non-denominational" services and I couldn't stand them. It wasn't the singing or the dancing in the isles. It just didn't keep my attention. I've attended a church while in college that put a "special notice" in the bulliten reminding everyone that you were "Not to wear jeans, shorts, or sneakers to Mass." I found this a bit "stuck up" as I don't really dress up...my idea of dressing up when I go out to supper with my parents is kahkis, a polo, and my Docs. I also attended a church where Mass was more geared toward the college students. The Priest was down to earth (he was one of those "Been there, Done that" and very Holy kind of people), the Campus Minister was awesome, and the Secretary basically adopted every one of us as her Grandchildren. Mass at Newman was a combination of a traditional Mass with the added bonus of at least one or two more upbeat songs and a very good sermon (every now and then Fr. Sam had props - lol). It all depends on what you prefer.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 PM

"So, I'm just curious, would you rather see something along the lines of a Quaker Service where a scripture is read and then you sit in silence and meditate about that scripture for like an hour"?

No, I would rather continuing doing what I posted that we do, and have done, for the 42 years that I have been a member of the church. They are listed in the second paragraph of my 5:05 post.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 PM

Marian, I read that post, but I still don't see what exactly you would prefer. Maybe it's just that I'm tired from fencing practice or something, but I'm just not seeing what you prefer. Is it that you prefer something more like a High Mass where everything is way strict even down to the dress code? Like I said, maybe it's that I'm tired, but I'm not seeing what you're looking for.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Marian, I read that post, but I still don't see what exactly you would prefer. Maybe it's just that I'm tired from fencing practice or something, but I'm just not seeing what you prefer. Is it that you prefer something more like a High Mass where everything is way strict even down to the dress code? Like I said, maybe it's that I'm tired, but I'm not seeing what you're looking for.

I'm sorry, we certainly are not on "the same page" ! The is no way the services at the church of Christ are anything like a "High Mass" (whatever that is! ). The services at the church are anything but "way strict" !

I am not "looking for" anything. I have found all that I need for our assembling together. I don't need anything else...

It is late, and I am tired also...

Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
If we don't speak to our youth in their language, we will lose them. Plain and simple. We could sit around and debate the "right" or "wrong" way to do church until the cows come home. The fact is, times change. God's Word does not, but times do. He did not give us knowledge to discover wonderful forms of technology for no reason. We can glorify Him using those tools!
Or..we can sit around and debate the right way and the wrong way to do church. The sobering fact is most of our young adults lose their faith soon after college.

When I go to my church, I watch hundreds of teens and twenty-somethings captivated by the power of the Gospel. That's all that matters to me. I couldn't care less if what got them there in the first place was a great worship band. Have parents given up their responsibilites? Do they expect the Church to entertain our kids? Who knows. Maybe so. But that doesn't mean the Church should turn its back on them.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:07 PM

High Mass is the old style of Mass where everything is very strict, everything is in Latin (with the usual exceptions of the Homily and the Kyrie eleison*), women cover their heads, etc. That being said, I guess my question is, do you have a problem with services that are a little more contemprary? And if so, what exactly is it that you prefer? What is "too contemporary" for you? What is "too conservative" for you?
*Kyrie eleison - Lord have Mercy, Christ have Mercy, Lord have Mercy - CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Kyrie Eleison

Old 10-30-2008, 05:37 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
We had a contemporary service, the Chicago Folk Service that retained all the elements of the liturgy and was so energetic and dynamic. Nothing wrong with having that kind of energy in a service.

I can be driving down the road and the catchy tunes and words come into my head and invade my daily life. I think that is a good thing. Everything, including the Nicene creed [Luther's paraphrased version] was put to music.

Of course my generation related to and loved folk music; the newer generations like other music. The church has always adapted itself to the culture of the times to get the word across.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:41 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Default Celebrate!!!

Rejoice!!!

Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise:
be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

Worship Him with Gladness!!!

And the ransomed of the LORD shall return,
and come to Zion with songs
and everlasting joy upon their heads:
they shall obtain joy and gladness,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Let everything that has a breath Praise Ye the Lord!

Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright.
Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.
Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.
For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
He loveth righteousness and judgment: the earth is full of the goodness of the LORD.

Be glad and rejoice with all of your heart!
He takes delight in us.
He has taken away the sadness of the appointed feasts...

Sing, O Daughter of Zion;
shout aloud, O Israel!
Be glad and rejoice with all your heart,
O Daughter of Jerusalem!
The LORD has taken away your punishment,
he has turned back your enemy.
The LORD, the King of Israel, is with you; never again will you fear any harm.
On that day they will say to Jerusalem,
"Do not fear, O Zion; do not let your hands hang limp.
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
"The sorrows for the appointed feasts
I will remove from you; they are a burden and a reproach to you....

Last edited by World Citizen; 10-30-2008 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity