Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:27 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times

Advertisements

The reason we ask Jesus into our heart, is because that is where the Holy of Holies is. Our bodies are the Temple of God, with Jesus Christ as the chief corner-stone. We are being built up stone by stone. These stones include the Apostles and the Prophets. But more importantly, they include how we act and react in our everyday life. Who have WE touched with our love for one another, so that the fruit is manifested? The apostles have been so instrumental in a multitude of Christian lives, they are now called "pillars" of the Temple. What a glorious thing to be called.

Our heart is where Jesus "sits" and reigns as our King. It is HIS throne, and for myself, He sits there ALONE. I try to serve no other master, physically, nor spiritually.

While the Bible is God's Word, we should always remember that God is a God of the living, and as such, He grants us life eternal through His son, Jesus the Christ.

I have always resented the fact that most preachers of God's Word do not go into great details about how this transformation into being "Born-Again" takes place, but there are a lot of "carnal-Christians" out there in need of Spiritual "meat".

It is one thing to "obey" the Word, but sometimes even by obeying the Word we fall short. There is so much more than that. It is FROM the heart we give ourselves, not only to God, but to our fellow man. The problem I see today, is that there are a ton of Pharisees who obey the "letter" of the Law, while at the same time, walking across the street to avoid those in need. I hate to sound like I am judging, but this includes myself. Jesus was, and is, SO much more than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:31 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
My apologies. I didn't realize the widespread epidemic that was occuring.

Certainly since its one of the biggest man made mistakes in Christianity (you're off the hook slavery and crusades).. surely there is a news article or something relating to this. Would you care to share?
Slavery and the crusades? It was true Christians that freed the slaves (underground railroad) and you may need to study up on the Crusades, it was started by the Islamics

Other than that. SURE!
I can send you something better, an actual sermon by a Pastor named Paul Washer

YouTube - Ask Jesus into your heart?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:32 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Amen!!! God's word is the salvation in the heart of the believer and in order to receive it, is to ask for it to come in....through Jesus Christ, by faith in His grace of forgiveness of our sin.....sin is then cleansed and He then reigns in the heart!!!

Rev. 3:20
Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come into him and dine with him, and he with Me.

Quote:
Romans 10:8 "Salvation that comes from trusting Christ, which is the message we preach, is already within easy reach. In fact, the Scriptures say, the message is close at hand, it is on your lips and in your heart".
Also... may I add,
Romans 10:9-10
That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

The word is the message of salvation by faith in Christ. It is as near as believing in your heart and confessing with your mouth, and available to all who hear.
The word Lord was used in the Greek translation of the OT for the name of God. Paul applied the title to Jesus showing that to confess Jesus as Lord is to accept Him as the Lord God.

Quote:
Colossians 3:15 "And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are all called to live in peace. And always be thankful".
Col. 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spriritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

The word of Christ is the entire gospel message. We must cause it to dwell constantly in our hearts so that we can grow more and more like Christ. In this growing, we need to give help by teaching and admonishing one another in the context of joyful worship.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:35 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Slavery and the crusades? It was true Christians that freed the slaves (underground railroad) and you may need to study up on the Crusades, it was started by the Islamics

Other than that. SURE!
I can send you something better, and actual sermon by a Pastor named Paul Washer

YouTube - Ask Jesus into your heart?
Two sides to every coin regarding slavery and crusades. Surely you know that. I advise further research on your part. Perhaps a new thread on the subject and we can discuss.

Back to the subject at hand..

So this sermon is the reason for or the catalyst to "one of the biggest man made mistakes in Christianity"

My apologies.. I can't view Youtube here. Also.. youtube isn't scriptural so I'd advise against referencing it in the future.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:40 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Two sides to every coin regarding slavery and crusades. Surely you know that. I advise further research on your part. Perhaps a new thread on the subject and we can discuss.

Back to the subject at hand..

So this sermon is the reason for or the catalyst to "one of the biggest man made mistakes in Christianity"

My apologies.. I can't view Youtube here. Also.. youtube isn't scriptural so I'd advise against referencing it in the future.
I think being a black history buff myself, I have a pretty good idea about history of slavery......

Not when you have Godly men like Paul Washer who most Christians don't want to hear.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:49 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
I think being a black history buff myself, I have a pretty good idea about history of slavery......
Then you know what I'm talking about. Again, if you'd like to discuss further in another thread I'd be happy to comply.

Quote:
Not when you have Godly men like Paul Washer who most Christians don't want to hear.
So its ok to partake in something as long as bits and pieces are "Godly".

Hmm.. very interesting take you have on that. That leads to a whhhhhooolllleeee different moral dilemna!

again.. for a different thread though.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:22 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
The problem is when you go to California and listen to people who are definitely not Christians, when you try to witness to them, they say, Oh! I am already a Christian because "I asked Jesus into my heart" (One of the biggest man made mistakes in modern Christianity)

wah...wah...wah...wah
Maybe reading the book of Jonah can help!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:54 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
We did DOTL, and you have a beautiful answer, as far Scripture to back this up, here ya go.....
Romans 10:8 "Salvation that comes from trusting Christ, which is the message we preach, is already within easy reach. In fact, the Scriptures say, the message is close at hand, it is on your lips and in your heart".

Colossians 3:15 "And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are all called to live in peace. And always be thankful".

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
We did DOTL, and you have a beautiful answer, as far Scripture to back this up, here ya go.....

ILNC: Colossians 3:15 concerns those already saved! Notice to whom it is addressed in the context. "Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved . . . . forgiving one another as Christ forgave you . . . . let the peace of God rule in your hearts." As believers, we are to let "the peace of God rule" in our hearts. This has nothing to do with unbelievers "asking Jesus into their hearts"--a totally unscriptural concept that has given false assurance to many.

Romans 10:8 (what translation on you using?). My NKJV reads: "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart." This must be taken in connection with Romans 3:11--"There is none who seeks after God" and John 6:44--"no one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him. Also, this verse does not say anything about asking Jesus into one's heart. It does, however, emphasize confession with the mouth the Lord Jesus and believing that God raised Him from the dead!

If you continue on in Romans 10--verse 20--you will find an interesting quote from Isaiah. "I was found by those who did not seek Me; I was made manifest to those who did not ask for Me."

Moderator cut: hijack

Last edited by Alpha8207; 11-21-2008 at 01:56 PM..

Old 11-21-2008, 12:10 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Amen!!! God's word is the salvation in the heart of the believer and in order to receive it, is to ask for it to come in....through Jesus Christ, by faith in His grace of forgiveness of our sin.....sin is then cleansed and He then reigns in the heart!!!

Rev. 3:20
Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come into him and dine with him, and he with Me.

Also... may I add,
Romans 10:9-10
That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

The word is the message of salvation by faith in Christ. It is as near as believing in your heart and confessing with your mouth, and available to all who hear.
The word Lord was used in the Greek translation of the OT for the name of God. Paul applied the title to Jesus showing that to confess Jesus as Lord is to accept Him as the Lord God.

Col. 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spriritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

The word of Christ is the entire gospel message. We must cause it to dwell constantly in our hearts so that we can grow more and more like Christ. In this growing, we need to give help by teaching and admonishing one another in the context of joyful worship.
BINGO! (Rev 3:20 and the rest)

The heart is the innermost being.
It is where motivation comes from and that's why the mouth speaks out of the abundance of the heart. (Mat 12:34,35)

Asking Jesus into one's heart is inviting Him into one's life and allowing the Spirit to mold and shape and even recreate one's motivation.

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel;
After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts;
and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Jer 31:33

If we read Matthew 5 - just past the beatitudes...
we find that Jesus is calling us not just to obey the letter of God's commandments, but to do it out of a pure heart.
Thus to even look with lust in the heart is to break this higher call.
We will never get to the point of becoming "perfect", but that should typify the goal.
Thankfully we have a mediator, so that there is therefore no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Mat 5:8
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Mat 5:6

They which mourn for their own wretchedness - they that thirst after righteouness - single mindedness and purity of heart,
have the Spirit of the living God involved in their lives.
They understand what it is to be loved first - in the midst of sin, and therefore can attempt to extend God's grace and love to those around them.

Asking Jesus into my heart - my innermost being is what changed me and keeps changing me.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:16 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
ILNC: Colossians 3:15 concerns those already saved! Notice to whom it is addressed in the context. "Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved . . . . forgiving one another as Christ forgave you . . . . let the peace of God rule in your hearts." As believers, we are to let "the peace of God rule" in our hearts. This has nothing to do with unbelievers "asking Jesus into their hearts"--a totally unscriptural concept that has given false assurance to many.

Romans 10:8 (what translation on you using?). My NKJV reads: "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart." This must be taken in connection with Romans 3:11--"There is none who seeks after God" and John 6:44--"no one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him. Also, this verse does not say anything about asking Jesus into one's heart. It does, however, emphasize confession with the mouth the Lord Jesus and believing that God raised Him from the dead!

If you continue on in Romans 10--verse 20--you will find an interesting quote from Isaiah. "I was found by those who did not seek Me; I was made manifest to those who did not ask for Me."

Moderator cut: hijack
Are you trying to say you have never asked Jesus into your heart?

Last edited by Alpha8207; 11-21-2008 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity