Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 05:16 PM

706 posts, read 1,241,203 times

Advertisements

Here is another way to look at it.

A vacuum salesman comes to your door, you politely tell him that you are not interested in buying a vacuum, he insists he is not there to sell vacuums, he only wants to show you some of his product. You reluctuantly allow him in, with no intent on buying a vacuum. He shows you his product, makes exorbitant claims, and has you eating out of the palm of his hand (figuratively speaking)

At the very end of the presentation he lays the dollar figure out there and you agree it is a decent price, by this time in the presentation he already has you hooked, and you are almost a sure sale.

He takes your money and leaves, and then a week later the vacuum not only doesnt do everything that was promised, it also breaks down.

He already has your money and there was some fine print about no refunds or guarantees.

You see this salesman lied up front when he said he wasn't there to sell you a vaccum---That was his sole purpose for being there.

These are like the tactics used by the JW religion. They come to your door, pretend they are not there to convert you, they show you a few things that may surprise you. They gain your confidence, they slowly but surely turn you against your former religion and any other religion for that matter. They cause you to leave your friends and make new friends with them. Once they have you hooked, it is too late. You have already given up your friends, you have already given up your beliefs in traditional christianity.

That is the danger of the JW religion, because like some shady salesmen, JW's aren't up front about what they believe, because if they told you what being a JW exactly entails, you would never become one in the first place.

Deceptive, high pressure sales tactics!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Thanks, lovethetruth. I guess my experience with JW's has been different from yours. When they come to my house, I generally engage in some small talk with them and take one of their Watchtowers. I've never been pressured. If you have, I can understand why you'd feel the way you do.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:26 PM

How long have you been taking their watchtowers? and was it always at your current place of residence?

Something else you might consider, there are alot of current JW's who are somewhat dismayed at their religion and are only going through the motions of being a JW in order to keep their family and friends intact. Some of these types of JW's are not the pushy kind.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
How long have you been taking their watchtowers? and was it always at your current place of residence?
They've been coming by for years, but not frequently. They're always pleasant and I enjoy reading the Watchtower, just because I find it interesting to learn what other people believe. I haven't found anything in it to make me interested in wanting to encourage a discussion, though.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:22 PM

It sounds like you are on a magazine route, where the main objective is to place the magazines and count their time.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:37 AM

810 posts, read 1,436,909 times
Having studied on and off with Witnesses for 30 years, I can honestly say that this has not been my experience with, Lovethetruth.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:02 PM

If you have studied on an off for 30 years and you still aren't a JW, then perhaps your subconcsious is telling you it isn't the truth.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:09 PM

810 posts, read 1,436,909 times
Quote:
If you have studied on an off for 30 years and you still aren't a JW, then perhaps your subconcsious is telling you it isn't the truth.
No, actually I just didn't want to make changes in my life. I wouldn't have brought honor to any church.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:29 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
AliceNevada can deny that JW's teach that only they are saved, until she's blue in the face. Unfortunately, one of their favourite quotes is:
Revelation 18 v 4 Then I heard another voice from heaven say:
'Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins,
So that you will not recieve any of her plagues'.

This is Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion....especially 'Christendom' as the WTBTS likes to call it.

In other words, anyone NOT in the 'organization' is doomed to destruction, no matter how much they love their heavenly Father. That never made much logical sense to me when I was a JW and it makes even less sense to me now. But then I did always try to think for myself and not swallow wholesale everything that made me uneasy or doubtful.

Jesus is the way and the truth. Not some earthly and fallible men....put not your trust in them..remember?
Can you please explain to me how this scripture does not apply? I don't know a single 'Christian' who wouldnt say that once a person comes to an accurate knowledge of the scriptures, they MUST turn their back on false religion. The ONLY 'hangup' you guys seem to have is that JW feel they are the only organization that is correctly representing Christ at this time.

I sincerely hope that any of you would jump at the opportunity to turn someone away from false religion. It is the responsibility of a Christian. And if you would do so, you certainly should not take offense at our attempt to do the same.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:32 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times
Quote:
It sounds like you are on a magazine route, where the main objective is to place the magazines and count their time.

Lovethetruth, now you are starting to sound a little contradictory in nature.
Please stop pretending you know all there is to know about the JW and their 'methods'. If we are as deceitful as you have previously stated and are truly just trying to fill up a roster of some kind, why on earth would we be content with a 'magazine route' as our main objective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity