Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 07:37 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,563,533 times

Advertisements

Okay, lets try this, but this time, please, only those who are regular members of their place of assembling with others of like faith.

I would like for you to share what caused you to chose that particular faith.

Was it because of your family?
Was it because of friends?
Was it because of the teaching/preaching?
Was it because it was the most convenient place to go?
Was it because of other parts of the service besides the preaching?
Was it because you searched the scriptures and it came the closest to what you understand as the truth?

I am sure there may be other reasons. I am really wanting to understand what motivated you to pick that particular place. I am not trying to be argumentative.

I will not tolerate this being turned into an arguement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 07:42 PM

14,915 posts, read 17,232,628 times
Does assembling have to be in a building according to your question, Marian? I assemble with believers with similar beliefs on the Internet, as there is no "place" or building where we assemble locally. Just asking. God bless.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:38 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,563,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Does assembling have to be in a building according to your question, Marian? I assemble with believers with similar beliefs on the Internet, as there is no "place" or building where we assemble locally. Just asking. God bless.

I prefer hearing from those who meet face to face with fellow believers, at the same locaton, and an appointed time, as it was done in the early church. A place where they not only hear a sermon, but partake of the Lord's supper, and give as they have prospered. Where they pray together in unison, and sing together ( in what ever manner they do so). Where they know one another in person,(not as we do here....i.e. cyber 'friends').
I hope I am saying this in a logical way.

As a 'for instance' ....I found our choice because a cousin of my husband's invited him to the church that he was a member of, while I was away on a trip. When I returned, he was so impressed with the church, that he told me about it, and we both returned. Only about two sundays afterwards we both obeyed the gospel, and have remained members of the church of Christ for over 42 years. We meet regularly at the congregation that is closest to where we live. The only ones we knew there, at the congregation where we first went, was the cousin and his family.

It is stories like this that I am searching for.

Shana, I find what you have chose to do interesting, but not what I consider assembling with the saints, as the early disciples did. I presume the partaking of the Lord's supper is not included in your 'assembly on the internet' , nor are any of the other activities that the early Christians did in their assemblies. The examples are given in the scriptures as to how they conducted themselves in their assemblies.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Thank you for clarifying, Marian. God bless.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:55 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,207,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Shana, I find what you have chose to do interesting, but not what I consider assembling with the saints, as the early disciples did. I presume the partaking of the Lord's supper is not included in your 'assembly on the internet' , nor are any of the other activities that the early Christians did in their assemblies. The examples are given in the scriptures as to how they conducted themselves in their assemblies.
Two or more...

Old 11-25-2008, 08:55 AM

116 posts, read 332,491 times
Shana, you do what you can, and that is commendable. Kind of like people of old who had no place of worship, or even neighbors for miles and miles, so worshipped in their own home with their family. I suppose you could take communion at home, as long as your intentions are pure. It's not like the building itself or the staff of the church are what consecrates the elements. I'd still be interested to know how you'd answer the question.

As for me, I became a Christian because my family were Christians. I REMAINED a Christian because I followed the Truth and the Word. And, no, I don't just consider myself a Christian because I was born into it. I asked the Lord into my heart as a young child, and rededicated my life to Him and was baptized as a Junior in high school.

As for why we chose the church building we find shelter in on a Sunday morning, we chose Manna because we learn there. We never walk away feeling like we just "attended", or were just filling up seats. We always walk away with a new understanding of something in the Bible, and a deeper relationship with Christ. And that is what we'll look for again when we move.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,588,200 times
My father had to die of cancer in order for his first born son to be saved.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Shana, you do what you can, and that is commendable. Kind of like people of old who had no place of worship, or even neighbors for miles and miles, so worshipped in their own home with their family. I suppose you could take communion at home, as long as your intentions are pure. It's not like the building itself or the staff of the church are what consecrates the elements. I'd still be interested to know how you'd answer the question
Thank you, Daisienfreckes. This really encouraged me. Take care and God bless.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:34 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,794,762 times
Marian,
I'll take a shot at your question and hope that it does not bring about negative recourse...

I was baptized in the Methodist Church as an infant. My family was what I would term "holiday Christians". We attended church as a family at Easter and again at Christmas. Those were also the times that we would sit at the table as a family to share a meal and say grace. For whatever reason, I was drawn to church as a young child. My mother would take me at my request. I was active in the youth group (neither of my other siblings attended), I sang in choir, I was the first girl to serve as an acolyte in our church. I was active well into my teens and then life changed and I spent years outside of the assembly. After two failed marriages I returned to the Methodist church. Later I began attending a non-denominational church (Northland, A Church Distributed). A wonderful church with an amazing pastor and music ministry. I attended this church regularly for probably two years. When I started dating my now husband, he was not attending church regularly and I think it put a little guilt on his heart that I was. He was a cradle Catholic and his mother had done a wonderful job at teaching him a love for his faith, he had just strayed from the church in his attendance. I invited him to attend church with me. Being the good Catholic boy that he was, he was not comfortable in the setting of my church and he invited my to attend with him. At this point in our relationship, I knew that we would be building a future and I wanted to serve God together, as a family. The first time I attended Mass was a godsend. I felt 'at home' and welcomed. Something that I had not anticipated. I spent many years in the RCIA program (birthed three children during it). On my birthday in 2003, I celebrated full communion with the church, had my marriage blessed and my 4th child baptized. I have not looked back since. I love the Church. I love my faith. I love my God.

(Hope this is what you were looking for.)

Old 11-25-2008, 02:38 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,794,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post

Shana,
Not that you are looking, but when I looked for the link for my above post, I noticed that Northland has a 'webstream' worship. Pastor Joel Hunter is amazing!!
<><

Webstream Worship (http://www.northlandchurch.net/webstream_worship/index.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity