Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:07 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,582,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Because the words of the scripture were twisted around by humans...so get over yourself.

I bet gluttons don't pray to God every night for overeating. I bet materialistic people don't pray to God for purchasing nice clothing and video games...please.
So the creator of the universe, heaven and earth. Keeps the moon, the sun, magnetic field, earth's core spinning. He can do all this and then more but He can't control a little book called the bible from men? Come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 08:13 PM

63,942 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
So the creator of the universe, heaven and earth. Keeps the moon, the sun, magnetic field, earth's core spinning. He can do all this and then more but He can't control a little book called the bible from men? Come on.
Of course not . . . you can't give willful men free will and expect them not to use it . . . you are full of contradictions . . . as anyone who is a literalist or fundy.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Of course not . . . you can't give willful men free will and expect them not to use it . . . you are full of contradictions . . . as anyone who is a literalist or fundy.
uhhhh....No. We have free will to choose Him or not- salvation. God has every right to intervene and does. This is His sovereign will vs His perfect will.

Any discussion of man’s free will must begin with an understanding of his nature because man’s will is bound by that nature. A prisoner has the freedom to pace up and down in his cell, but he is constrained by the walls of that cell and can go no further, no matter how much his will might desire it. So it is with man. Because of sin, man is imprisoned within a cell of corruption and wickedness.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:35 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,160,364 times
Quote:
Didn't I already say I was Christian and accepted Jesus into my heart. Why don't you stop harassing me? That is harassment and you'd better stop now.
Sorry if you took anything I said to be harassment. Honestly it was not meant to be that way. Reread some of my posts concerning you before you make an accusation like that.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,996,866 times
No. You said I would be burning in fire. That is hostile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Sorry if you took anything I said to be harassment. Honestly it was not meant to be that way. Reread some of my posts concerning you before you make an accusation like that.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:42 PM

63,942 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
uhhhh....No. We have free will to choose Him or not- salvation. God has every right to intervene and does. This is His sovereign will vs His perfect will.

Any discussion of man’s free will must begin with an understanding of his nature because man’s will is bound by that nature. A prisoner has the freedom to pace up and down in his cell, but he is constrained by the walls of that cell and can go no further, no matter how much his will might desire it. So it is with man. Because of sin, man is imprisoned within a cell of corruption and wickedness.
Nonsense . . . we are children of God . . . not prisoners or pets or whatever. You believers in the literal Word need to grow and expand your consciousness and understanding. Children GROW up to maturity . . . they don't win it as a reward for doing all the appropriate "tricks." Let's look at this Word notion.

A word is an abstract phenomenon of consciousness and exists only where consciousness exists. A word is a series of symbols grouped together, which when taken as a whole, creates in a being with consciousness an abstract realization or "knowingness" that we recognize as the condition of having meaning. When our cerebral cortex (brain) produces this abstract "knowingness" condition, it is producing consciousness. The meaning in John 1:1, therefore, takes on more significance,

. . . In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God; and the Word was God.

Our consciousness, like all consciousness, is a cellular component of the total human consciousness in existence. But, more importantly perhaps, that consciousness is potentially a cellular component of the consciousness of God. In other words, each one of us potentially represents one cell of God's "Cosmic Consciousness."

Our consciousness as a potential part of God's consciousness is designed to serve in the same role that each cell of your own body serves to reproduce you. As Paul said in I Corinthians 3:9, we all are ". . . the co-workers of God," or the co-procreators in this case. This was the importance of Christ.A human mind from this physical plane of existence had to produce a consciousness linked with the consciousness of God. The consciousness that was produced by the mind of Jesus became one with the consciousness of God, and simultaneously, remains part of the existing human consciousness.

It is in this manner that Christ is the way to God. As Paul said in Ephesians 2:18 ". . . because through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father." The consciousness that each one of us produces and to which we ascribe our individual nature, character, and essence can also attain oneness with God through this "spiritual synapse" created by the consciousness of Jesus Christ.

Magical thinking forms a stumbling block to understanding and maturity of soul. If individuals do all of their thinking on the physical plane and make little effort on the nonphysical plane --- cultivating intuition, gaining instinctive knowledge of the workings of the universe, and developing the insight to evolve both themselves and their society --- then those lives have no real meaning or significance in terms of the physical reality. This is so because work done on the nonphysical plane is more aligned with the purpose of the universe, and therefore, it has a more powerful effect upon our physical reality. Our inner work influences and evolves the universe, which in turn, evolves our reality.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
No. You said I would be burning in fire. That is hostile.
We ALL will stand in the fiery presence of the Lord God Almighty. The better question will and should be, will it harm us? It will not harm the repentant forgiven sin. But the unrepentant once forgiven sin?

Hbr 10:26
For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the Truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.

1Cr 3:13
each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Nonsense . . . we are children of God . . . not prisoners or pets or whatever. You believers in the literal Word need to grow and expand your consciousness and understanding. Children GROW up to maturity . . . they don't win it as a reward for doing all the appropriate "tricks." Let's look at this Word notion.

A word is an abstract phenomenon of consciousness and exists only where consciousness exists. A word is a series of symbols grouped together, which when taken as a whole, creates in a being with consciousness an abstract realization or "knowingness" that we recognize as the condition of having meaning. When our cerebral cortex (brain) produces this abstract "knowingness" condition, it is producing consciousness. The meaning in John 1:1, therefore, takes on more significance,

. . . In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God; and the Word was God.

Our consciousness, like all consciousness, is a cellular component of the total human consciousness in existence. But, more importantly perhaps, that consciousness is potentially a cellular component of the consciousness of God. In other words, each one of us potentially represents one cell of God's "Cosmic Consciousness."

Our consciousness as a potential part of God's consciousness is designed to serve in the same role that each cell of your own body serves to reproduce you. As Paul said in I Corinthians 3:9, we all are ". . . the co-workers of God," or the co-procreators in this case. This was the importance of Christ.A human mind from this physical plane of existence had to produce a consciousness linked with the consciousness of God. The consciousness that was produced by the mind of Jesus became one with the consciousness of God, and simultaneously, remains part of the existing human consciousness.

It is in this manner that Christ is the way to God. As Paul said in Ephesians 2:18 ". . . because through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father." The consciousness that each one of us produces and to which we ascribe our individual nature, character, and essence can also attain oneness with God through this "spiritual synapse" created by the consciousness of Jesus Christ.

Magical thinking forms a stumbling block to understanding and maturity of soul. If individuals do all of their thinking on the physical plane and make little effort on the nonphysical plane --- cultivating intuition, gaining instinctive knowledge of the workings of the universe, and developing the insight to evolve both themselves and their society --- then those lives have no real meaning or significance in terms of the physical reality. This is so because work done on the nonphysical plane is more aligned with the purpose of the universe, and therefore, it has a more powerful effect upon our physical reality. Our inner work influences and evolves the universe, which in turn, evolves our reality.
Wow that was deep, and insightful.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:23 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,600,992 times
We are more concerned about with stuff that will send you to hell...

I dont believe that a person eating pork will send them to hell...they will just be unclean to the evening for OT law.

The Word of God has been intact for thousands of years.

People today change it according to their lifestyles.

Quote:
Because the words of the scripture were twisted around by humans...so get over yourself.

I bet gluttons don't pray to God every night for overeating. I bet materialistic people don't pray to God for purchasing nice clothing and video games...please.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Nonsense . . . we are children of God . . . not prisoners or pets or whatever. You believers in the literal Word need to grow and expand your consciousness and understanding. Children GROW up to maturity . . . they don't win it as a reward for doing all the appropriate "tricks." Let's look at this Word notion...........
That was a lot. One question. Since we share the consciousness of God? do you believe that we are gods or could be gods ourselves in some form or sense?

Sounds more like buddhism/ new age mysticism to me than Christianity. I have come across many like you who contort scripture to fit your understanding.

The Apostle Paul was a brilliant philosopher and author who wrote most of the New Testament furthermore, more than held his own with the Greeks. My way of expanding and opening my consciousness goes as far as the Apostle Paul, anything beyond that is just weird and dangerous.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-01-2008 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity