Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:57 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times

Advertisements

Ya think?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:38 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,848 times
Ya think what?

Who are you going to believe, someone who was there, or someone who came along 1500 years later and tried to tell you what happened?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
Like I said, Sola Scriptura = we should only believe what the Bible tells us, but nowhere does the Bible teach that. Seems like a huge flaw in logic.
Sola scriptura means that Scripture alone is authoritative for the faith and practice of the Christian. The Bible is complete, authoritative, and true. The Word of God is the ONLY authority for the Christian faith.

(2 Timothy 3:16) "16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness...."

Old 01-07-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
But nowhere does it say ONLY Scriputre is useful for teaching et-al.

In fact Paul tells the Thessalonians to hold fast to tradition and scripture
Yes but tradition Paul spoke of is bound by scripture. Traditions are valid only when they are based on Scripture and are in full agreement with Scripture. "Sola scriptura" is the only way to avoid subjectivity and personal opinion. Sinless Mary, Holy laughter, drunk in the Holy Spirit, Christian Yoga, Sex God, prosperity gospel, social gospel......need I sadly go on?!

Scripture is the only pure unadulterated truth.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-07-2009 at 08:25 AM..

Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
the problem for me, is that it was the catholic church that assembled the Bible.......the church decided "what was God's Word" and it was decided by people with political motivations that had little to do with God and everything to do with the power structure and maintaining the power status quo. Jesus preached freedom, the church (and it's bible) taught unquestioning blind obedience. Jesus taught compassion, tolerance, and forgiveness, the church (and its bible) sanctioned the Inquisition, the burning of witches, and the invasion of the middle east (the Crusades). The contrast between Jesus' teachings, as contained in the bible and elsewhere, and the actions of the church for the past 2,000 years is stark. Look into the history of man for the past 2,000 years and show me a period of history where, within the Christian community, freedom, compassion, and tolerence ruled......and yet Jesus' ministry was founded on those principles.
How do you mean "the Catholic Church"? Do you mean the "Church Catholic", as in the united body of Christians, or the Roman Catholic Church institutionally?

In either case, taking the example of certain Roman Catholic actions and applying them to all of catholic Christianity prior to the year 500 presents some major problems historically, in part that the New Testament canon was pretty much developed prior to the legalization of Christianity in 313. It's hard to be an evil overload taskmaster when the government basically sees you as lion chow.

Your final question would be easier to answer if you would define how you mean "tolerance". I tend to disagree that Jesus based his ministry on "tolerance", but of course that depends on my definition of it and the context in which I place it. What type of tolerance? Religious tolerance, racial tolerance, cultural tolerance...

Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Like I said, Sola Scriptura = we should only believe what the Bible tells us, but nowhere does the Bible teach that. Seems like a huge flaw in logic.

The word of God lives and abides forever, 1 Peter 1:23
1 Peter 1:24 because
"All flesh is as grass;
And all the glory of man as the flower of grass.
The grass withers,
And it's flower falls away,
But the word of the Lord endures forever."

1 Peter 4:11
If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God.

2 Peter 1:
2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord,
3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue.

Matthew 24:35
"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away."

Mark13:31
" Heaven annd earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away."

Luke 21:33
Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away."

John 17:
I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word:
That they may be one, as You, Father, are in Me,and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.

Ephesians 4:14
that we should not be children, tossed to and fro and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting,

1 Timothy 4:1
Now the Spirit expressly says that in the latter days some will depart from the faith, giving heed to decieving spirits and doctrines of demons.

1 Timothy 6:
3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness,
4 he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words,

Acts 2:42
And they continued steadfastly in the apostles doctrine and fellowship,

Romans 6:17
But God be thanked that though you rere slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered.

Romans 16:17
Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you have learned, and avoid them.

2 John
Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son.
10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not recieve him into your house nor greet him;
11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

Please not: None of what I posted is my words. They are the inspired words of the scriptures.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
. "Sola scriptura" is the only way to avoid subjectivity and personal opinion. Sinless Mary, Holy laughter, drunk in the Holy Spirit, Christian Yoga, Sex God, prosperity gospel, social gospel......need I sadly go on?!

Scripture is the only pure unadulterated truth.

Sure dude, that's why there are 26 thousand different Protestant sects, because all you're doing with sola scriputra is making everyone his or her own Pope.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Sola scriptura means that Scripture alone is authoritative for the faith and practice of the Christian. The Bible is complete, authoritative, and true. The Word of God is the ONLY authority for the Christian faith.

(2 Timothy 3:16) "16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness...."
Nowhere does it say ONLY scriputre is useful for teaching righteousness.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:32 AM

And Luther added the word "Alone" to Romans 3:28. It is nowhere to be found in the original Greek texts.

So basically you solo fide/ solo scriptura guys are worshiping Luther and not the original idea passed down from the Church fathers.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Sure dude, that's why there are 26 thousand different Protestant sects, because all you're doing with sola scriputra is making everyone his or her own Pope.
So? we can disagree on the non essentials and I believe Gos wanted it that way because He allows it. The essentials are more important and as far as I see we pretty much agree that Jesus is the only way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity