U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 05-19-2009, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
14,120 posts, read 10,097,583 times
Reputation: 4783

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
I've never had a bad experience with JWs myself. Anytime they come to the door, I tell them I'm Christian but not JW. We talk for a little bit and they leave me a Watchtower and another magazine. Sometimes they return and sometimes they don't. I've never felt like I needed to avoid them because they've always been pleasant and unaccusing/non-judgmental.
That's been my experience, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Idaho
284 posts, read 248,442 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's been my experience, too.
If you don't mind me asking you are Mormon if I not mistaken, have you ever had a converstion with a JW about the diffrences between the two beliefs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
14,120 posts, read 10,097,583 times
Reputation: 4783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdparty View Post
If you don't mind me asking you are Mormon if I not mistaken, have you ever had a converstion with a JW about the diffrences between the two beliefs?
Yes, I'm a Mormon. That's probably one reason I would not be rude to JWs coming to my house. Every time they stop by, which really isn't all that often, I stop and think how I'd want people to respond to my son if he were an LDS missionary. Then I choose to act accordingly. I generally talk to them for just a few minutes at my front door, accept a Watchtower and wish them a good day. I've never gotten into a real discussion with them.

On a side note... one thing I've noticed the past couple of days is that there is a thread much like this one on the main Religion and Philosophy forum that basically asks the same question as this thread asks, except that it's about Mormon missionaries. I've kind of been surprised to see that, as much as people hate us, it seems like they hate the JWs even more. I wonder why that is. Maybe someone can shed some light on that for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 12:23 AM
 
Location: Idaho
284 posts, read 248,442 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes, I'm a Mormon. That's probably one reason I would not be rude to JWs coming to my house. Every time they stop by, which really isn't all that often, I stop and think how I'd want people to respond to my son if he were an LDS missionary. Then I choose to act accordingly. I generally talk to them for just a few minutes at my front door, accept a Watchtower and wish them a good day. I've never gotten into a real discussion with them.

On a side note... one thing I've noticed the past couple of days is that there is a thread much like this one on the main Religion and Philosophy forum that basically asks the same question as this thread asks, except that it's about Mormon missionaries. I've kind of been surprised to see that, as much as people hate us, it seems like they hate the JWs even more. I wonder why that is. Maybe someone can shed some light on that for me.
I will say that I have had many a good visit with JW's and Mormons in my garage or living room. And some times they have been very engaged topics such as pre spirtual existance and the dietiy of Christ. For the most part I would say the Mormons that stop by are for the most part less abrasive then JW's. I can't say I hate people from either religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 07:32 AM
juj
 
Location: Too far from MSG
1,657 posts, read 1,597,154 times
Reputation: 319
I have never had problems with Mormons. Always pleasant.

I don't like JW's because how they are told to treat their non-believing relatives. I have a relative-in-law that continuously tried to convert his mother on her death bed who was a devout Catholic. He wouldn't talk or associate with his 9 brothers and sisters. He is human scum who was duped by a false religion (cult). This group preys on the dumb, the confused, and the weak. So hence, I have very little respect for a person who comes to my door representing this group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 07:43 AM
 
810 posts, read 851,987 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I have never had problems with Mormons. Always pleasant.

I don't like JW's because how they are told to treat their non-believing relatives. I have a relative-in-law that continuously tried to convert his mother on her death bed who was a devout Catholic. He wouldn't talk or associate with his 9 brothers and sisters. He is human scum who was duped by a false religion (cult). This group preys on the dumb, the confused, and the weak. So hence, I have very little respect for a person who comes to my door representing this group.
Wow, Juj...so I am either dumb, confused, or weak...thanks for that.

I'm always curious why people say it's a "cult".

Perhaps the in-law you know is scum in general...I personally have many nonwitness and witness family members who associate together on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 01:44 AM
 
3,091 posts, read 3,122,589 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Wow, Juj...so I am either dumb, confused, or weak...thanks for that.

I'm always curious why people say it's a "cult".

Perhaps the in-law you know is scum in general...I personally have many nonwitness and witness family members who associate together on a regular basis.
Cult Religions fall under the umbrella of ----They are the only ones who truely worship Jehovah; They are the only ones who observe the Sabbath; They are the only ones who use the name Church of Christ; They are the first true church and any religion outside of theirs is false; and the list goes on and on. What's so said is that people who think along those lines, are so narrow minded, that they think that only the people in their circle of fellowship are the ones who got it right, and the rest of us are just caught in Satan's snare.

The bible says that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life, and no man can come to the father but through him. No where in the bible does it teach that we get to the Father through Jesus through the Baptists, Catholics, Mormans, Seventh Day AdventistS, or Jehovah's Witnesses? Anyone from these religions who thinks that their religions got it right over the others---ARE FOOLSIH. I am so glad that the bible didn't name a particular religion for all christians to become part of, instead, God wants us to be FOLLOWERS OF JESUS---PERIOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 01:46 AM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,191 posts, read 3,246,045 times
Reputation: 593
Be nice to them, they need it, they need to see the true mercy of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 02:40 AM
juj
 
Location: Too far from MSG
1,657 posts, read 1,597,154 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Wow, Juj...so I am either dumb, confused, or weak...thanks for that.

I'm always curious why people say it's a "cult".

Perhaps the in-law you know is scum in general...I personally have many nonwitness and witness family members who associate together on a regular basis.
Oh, I forgot you could be born into it. Not your fault then. Perhaps he is scum in general but he also seemed like he was following the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 02:53 AM
 
2,376 posts, read 2,431,852 times
Reputation: 2322
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0204 View Post
I don't think there is a need to be rude. My grandma, who was a little nutty, would always give them a couple of bucks, which still makes me chuckle. She never could understand that that wasn't why they were there, no matter how much they tried to refuse, or how many times anyone tried to explain why they came. She always seemed a little perplexed when they didn't just take it and leave. Needless to say, they always seemed a bit thrown off and never conveyed much of a message. I'm sure they didn't meet many like her! Silly old grandma...
haha.

"I'll give you this money if you promise to NEVER come back."

I know that's not what your granny was doing, but that's what popped into my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top