Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:37 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times

Advertisements

I posted this elsewhere, but I thought it deserved its own thread:

I am curious........if God doesn't mind me watching the magnificence of His clouds building in the west, He has no problem with me cherishing the delicate beauty of a flower, has no problem with me being amazed at the flight of a bee, has no problem with me laughing and paying close attention to the antics of a chipmunk, why is there such objection to my finding pleasure in the feminine form.......admiring and cherishing the curves, swells, and incredible loveliness of a woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post

I am curious........if God doesn't mind me watching the magnificence of His clouds building in the west, He has no problem with me cherishing the delicate beauty of a flower, has no problem with me being amazed at the flight of a bee, has no problem with me laughing and paying close attention to the antics of a chipmunk, why is there such objection to my finding pleasure in the feminine form.......admiring and cherishing the curves, swells, and incredible loveliness of a woman?
If the "finding pleasure" and "admiring" a woman turned into lust, then it's sinful. I can't see any sin coming out of admiring clouds, flowers, bees, or a chipmunk.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:01 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
If the "finding pleasure" and "admiring" a woman turned into lust, then it's sinful. I can't see any sin coming out of admiring clouds, flowers, bees, or a chipmunk.
Unless you lust after them

Old 02-09-2009, 07:21 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Unless you lust after them
Hi Fundie,
I noticed you meantioned lust, but you never answered my question in the other thread about Jesus lusting and lusting not being a sin? May I ask why you didn't answer me?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:50 AM

733 posts, read 4,654,629 times
Quote:

God certainly doesn't object. Why else would we have the capacity to admire?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Hi Fundie,
I noticed you meantioned lust, but you never answered my question in the other thread about Jesus lusting and lusting not being a sin? May I ask why you didn't answer me?
Sorry never saw it.....I beg your apology. I wasn't ignoring you. I believe lusting is a sin. Jesus said so. Whoever lust after a woman in his heart committing adultery. That is one bugger I am working on in my spiritual walk.

Jesus lusting? I don't believe Jesus could sin, I believe he was tempted.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:01 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,261 times
Quote:
Sorry never saw it.....I beg your apology. I wasn't ignoring you. I believe lusting is a sin. Jesus said so. Whoever lust after a woman in his heart committing adultery. That is one bugger I am working on in my spiritual walk.

I'm sorry if I confused you. I was referring to quotes by HK on the thread entitled "Did Jesus Lust?" and then last night another thread (can't remember the name right off hand, but it was the one about whether HK changed our thinking and you said, " I agree with both sides." Then I asked you do you believe the quotes from HK? YOu didn't answer me on that thread either so I thought I'd ask you again here. Boy! I hope that makes sense. If I had more time I'd find the 2 posts and put the link.

If you don't understand what I'm asking let me know.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:30 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times
Quote:

The survival of our species requires that men and women lust after one another. If God didn't want us admiring ladies, why did he make so many georgeous women? I mean, God obviously likes ordinary people--he made so many of them! So, wouldn't it follow that God likes beautiful women too?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:42 PM

178 posts, read 404,106 times
Quote:

Greek (word #1937 epithumeo).
1937. epithumeo ep-ee-thoo-meh'-o from 1909 and 2372; to set the heart upon, i.e. long for (rightfully or otherwise):--covet, desire, would fain, lust (after).

Positive examples of "lust" in the Bible

Deuteronomy 14:26 God commanded the Israelites to turn the tithes into money and spend it on whatever their soul lusts for;

Psalm 21:2 God satisfies your lusts if they are good and right for you;

Psalm 132:13 the Lord himself lusted Zion for his habitation;

Proverbs 10:24 the lust of the righteous shall be granted;

Proverbs 11:23 the lust of the righteous is good, and this is in contrast to the lust of the wicked;

Proverbs 13:12 lust will earn you the "tree of life", and not eternal torment in the lake of fire, as many Christians teach today; and

Isaiah 26:8 the lust of our soul is to God’s name.

So we see "lusting" is not sinning.

As far as Matthew 5:28 goes, adultery can only be committed if the woman is married, so in context, Jesus must have been speaking about lusting after a married woman, which is sinful. Otherwise we must interpret this to mean that any lust (desire) of any woman is sinful. This interpretation is contradictory, so since God is not the author of confusion, then man's interpretations must be. Ergo, lusting is not sinful.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:38 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:

There is no Bible passage [that I am aware of] that would say anything against what you have described.

Where God does get into it, is when your admiring gets into desiring another person's property.

And even then it has limits.

Another man has a daughter who has not been married yet, it is okay to desire to marry her. for example.

But once a female is a wife. Then she is her husband's.

To desire someone's wife, as your own wife, is bad.

Just as wanting another man's ox.

Don't get confused by 'lust'.

'Lust' is desire, wanting.

"Lust' is used in the Bible to be both good or bad, without context of good or evil.

There is 'good' lusting'.

However people when speaking of man made doctrines often use 'lust' as if it were only 'bad'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity