Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Judging means to form an opinion of. You formed an opinion that Carolina judges. Judging is not bad, it is a good thing as long as it is done rightly and not as a hypocrite.

The world says, you can't judge a book by its cover. Christianity says, YOU CAN judge a book by it's cover. "You will know them by their fruit"
Fruit is what a person creates, gives, and shares. A cover is the visual front-end of a person. You keep pulling out the "know them by their fruit" line but if you stand by the comparison you just made, then you are truly ignorant.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Fruit is what a person creates, gives, and shares. A cover is the visual front-end of a person. You keep pulling out the "know them by their fruit" line but if you stand by the comparison you just made, then you are truly ignorant.
There was no ignorance in that post whatsoever. By bearing fruit according to Scripture, it is very akin to that of judging a book by its cover. We as Christians have no authority to place judgment of an individual's salvation, but by the fruits of the Spirit they bare, or lack thereof, we can form an opinion of who may be saved or not. It is true that ultimately God knows the heart, but a fruitless Christian is walking a very thin line. I've been there myself and can only imagine how many people thought I was lost. It's not a very safe place to be and many doubts formed because of my shallow faith. Thank God I am strong enough now because of my relationship with Him to have no doubt and I am confident that Christ has saved me from my sins.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:13 PM

At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people.
[Matthew 24:11]

Quote:
Revival or Apostasy?

In many ways the Church has turned to the beliefs, teachings and practices of the world and the cults, from the penchant for humanistic psychology among conservative evangelicals to the cultic affinity for godhood and the demonstration of godlike powers among more extreme charismatics. Popular movements and teachers are influencing the Church to take dominion over the earth, to set up the Kingdom as a requirement for Christ to return, to produce signs and wonders, and to solve its problems through unbiblical methods such as self-esteem therapies, 12-step recovery programs, inner-healing rituals, "binding demons" strategies, and "Christian" mysticism. Many professing Christian leaders promote unity by demoting doctrine and encourage ecumenism to include even overt paganism.
Much more here: Revival or Apostasy

Old 03-12-2009, 12:18 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
For whoever may be so inclined ( and willing to read ) here is a Catholic perspective on mysticism.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Mysticism
Thank you, Oakback . . . The misunderstanding of Mysticism is widespread . . . especially among Fundamentalists. I was particularly drawn to the following excerpts. The first because it so clearly expresses my rationale for the strength of my belief in its power:

A tendency so universal and so persistent as that of Mysticism, which appears among all peoples and influences philosophical thought more or less throughout all centuries, must have some real foundation in human nature. There is indeed in the human soul a natural desire for, an aspiration towards the highest truth, the absolute truth, and the highest, the infinite good.

The existence of "circuitry" in the brain designed to acheive communion with God in devout prayer or deep meditation amplifies this "foundation" in human nature.

The reason the second excerpt is of interest to me should be obvious to anyone who has read of my "call" from atheism to seek and then to ultimately find Christ:

To some souls, however, even in the present life, God gives a very special grace by which they are enabled to feel His sensible presence; this is true mystical contemplation. In this act, there is no annihilation or absorption of the creature into God, but God becomes intimately present to the created mind and this, enlightened by special illuminations, contemplates with ineffable joy the Divine essence.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
RAGAMUFFIN SPIRITUALITY WITH BRENNAN MANNING
By Ken Silva pastor-teacher on Oct 10, 2008 in AM Missives, Contemplative Spirituality/Mysticism, Current Issues, Features

In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping. (2 Peter 2:3)

Earth To Protestant Evangelicalism; Um, Have You Lost Your Mind!?

While we don’t always agree with everything espoused the great preachers of old such as an R. A. Torrey weren’t exactly “politically correct” when they would speak of preachers in the Cult of Liberal Theology as “women wearing men’s trousers.” Following will be a nauseating example of how those who practice Contemplative Spirituality/Mysticism (CSM) long enough come away with an effete man-centered love of the self (See—2 Timothy 3:2).

The sad fact is this CSM—regurgitated Roman Catholic pietism blended with corrupt Quaker mysticism straight out of the The Cult of Guru Richard Foster—is a festering boil upon the Body of Christ. Don’t think so? Well, consider O, But Baptist State Convention Of North Carolina (SBC) Wanted You To Know… and Georgia Baptist Convention (SBC) Now Promoting the Cult of Richard Foster for examples of entire state conventions within the pretending to be Protestant Southern Baptist Convention are now busy spreading this spiritual sewage completely counter to the Reformaton.
Read the meat here: Ragamuffin spirituality with brennan manning - Rapture Ready

Old 03-13-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Thursday, March 12, 2009
The Emergent Church Could Submerge Yours!

By Jan Markell

....We have seen the rise of the "seeker-sensitive" church movement that offends no one. The "religious left" has become more prominent promoting their social gospel. And then there is the Emergent Church (that also stresses the social gospel.)
Quote:
So what is this phenomenon all about? First, it is "mystical." It draws upon things that the "ancient desert fathers" embraced such as contemplative prayer, breath prayers, walking the maize known as the labyrinth, Yoga -- all to get closer to God. Some of these practices send one into an altered state of consciousness. The Emergent Church really is not interested in doctrine; rather, they want things you can feel, touch, and smell such as incense and icons.
Read the rest here: The Emergent Church Could Submerge Yours! ~ Bible Prophecy Today

Old 03-13-2009, 11:11 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,572 times
Quote:
The Deception of Contemplative Spirituality/Mysticism and the Threat to Christianity
In so far, contemplative Spirituality/Mysticism is no threat to Christianity.. but it IS a real threat to Christians. A threat to our soul, simply because it is a substitute. False "angel of light" as it were.

We all seek, every one of us. And the Holy Spirit leads seekers down a path. But finally we come to a door.. and this is where the danger comes in. There is only one door to God.. a door we enter when we submit to Him and His will. Contemplative Spirituality/Mysticism tries to imitate the door to God while not forcing us to leave our self behind.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:23 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
In so far, contemplative Spirituality/Mysticism is no threat to Christianity.. but it IS a real threat to Christians. A threat to our soul, simply because it is a substitute. False "angel of light" as it were.

We all seek, every one of us. And the Holy Spirit leads seekers down a path. But finally we come to a door.. and this is where the danger comes in. There is only one door to God.. a door we enter when we submit to Him and His will. Contemplative Spirituality/Mysticism tries to imitate the door to God while not forcing us to leave our self behind.
I tend to agree with much of this. Contemplative prayer is for the stongest of souls, and only with good guidence and direction.

I believe it gets more attention than it should, and can endanger many well meaning pilgrims.

It is in no way a requirement for one's enlightenment, or salvation.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:29 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,572 times
Quote:
I tend to agree with much of this. Contemplative prayer is for the stongest of souls, and only with good guidence and direction.

I believe it gets more attention than it should, and can endanger many well meaning pilgrims.

Oh, I definitely believe in "contemplative prayer" if you mean feeling God's presence keenly and speaking to Him. A relationship cannot survive without communication! But we must be in tune with His will. There are substitutes!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:29 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
Quote:

some good guys can dance, however ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity