Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
It still deceives. It is sometimes labeled “Christian Mysticism”, as evidenced by this thread. And it will continue to deceive until the end of the age.
A great deception indeed!

Maybe you've seen this thread? http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...istianity.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 01:04 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Well, I agree we need to all look at ourselves and make sure we're not in a ditch!

But do you think that ...... ... is a ditch?
Of course not CG, just having some fun with the jousting around here. I think what you stated is a good balance.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:48 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
If anyone is so inclined, this is a long read;
but interesting.
Disgarding the obvious voodoo characteristics of gnostism, it's subtle heresy almost succeeded corrupting many people.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Gnosticism
The difference that my perspective brought to the study of Gnostic literature (and other writings) . . . was my lack of preference for ANY version. I had no version to defend . . . I was an atheist who had discovered indisputable personal proof that God exists. I wanted to find answers, period . . . not defend or choose the right religious orthodoxy. It should be sufficient to underwrite my Christian credentials that I was led to Jesus out of the bewildering mire of speculations and descriptions that abound . . (of which some of the Gnostic views contain the most abstruse and ridiculous . . . aptly named Jabberwocky by one of the critics mentioned in this excellent (but biased) synopsis.

That does not mean ALL of it was nonsense . . . many concepts clearly aided interpretation of some of the less obvious spiritual messages in the bible . . . particularly from a spiritual evolution and psychological perspective. I repeat . . . we are ALL "spiritually blind" seekers looking at and trying to understand the same reality and God (there is only ONE) . . . everything we each see contains part of the "elephant." This is why exclusivists and anti-ecumenicalists give me such a headache . . . it is one of the more troublesome of human negative characteristics and motivations . . . to be "special."

Old 03-13-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
It still deceives. It is sometimes labeled “Christian Mysticism”, as evidenced by this thread. And it will continue to deceive until the end of the age.
It is NOT Christian Mysticism . . . your misrepresentation is clearly the result of ignorance.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:07 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The difference that my perspective brought to the study of Gnostic literature (and other writings) . . . was my lack of preference for ANY version. I had no version to defend . . . I was an atheist who had discovered indisputable personal proof that God exists. I wanted to find answers, period . . . not defend or choose the right religious orthodoxy. It should be sufficient to underwrite my Christian credentials that I was led to Jesus out of the bewildering mire of speculations and descriptions that abound . . (of which some of the Gnostic views contain the most abstruse and ridiculous . . . aptly named Jabberwocky by one of the critics mentioned in this excellent (but biased) synopsis.

That does not mean ALL of it was nonsense . . . many concepts clearly aided interpretation of some of the less obvious spiritual messages in the bible . . . particularly from a spiritual evolution and psychological perspective. I repeat . . . we are ALL "spiritually blind" seekers looking at and trying to understand the same reality and God (there is only ONE) . . . everything we each see contains part of the "elephant." This is why exclusivists and anti-ecumenicalists give me such a headache . . . it is one of the more troublesome of human negative characteristics and motivations . . . to be "special."

"For now we see through a glass darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known"

Old 03-15-2009, 11:31 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Neither Blue Fly nor carolina guy correctly represent or characterize Christian Mysticism, Alpha. Feel free to judge it using their presentations . . . but it is error nonetheless. Fundamentalism and magical beliefs are pure error, as well, and will lead to many surprised and disappointed individuals who do not embody Love of God and each other, IMO. Jesus is the Way . . . but SAYING it and incorporating it into your life are two very different things. There are those who SAY it and do NOT have Jesus's love in their hearts . . . and there are those who DON'T SAY it and DO have Jesus's love in their hearts.
I'm not sure you fully understand the breadth of my experience to make such a claim, nor have you necessarily experienced human consciousness on a level that allows you to speak with authority.

You seem to be assessing my experience based upon an assumption that you have reached some sort of pinnacle.

There are many ways to get to Denver and many tools for each individual. Native Americans had certain tools at their disposal, as do Hindus. They all reflect the same love Christ demonstrated. I come from a Christian / Western tradition, so that is the mythology used to guide me. I rather resent your accusation that I say one thing and experience another.

I do agree with your larger point that gnosticism and mysticism are two very different camps.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:36 AM

I find it intriguing how easily conservative Christians are allowed to make inflammatory and personal attacks on this forum against others' spirituality and face no repercussions. It truly boggles the mind.

Read many of the posts on this thread from the perspective of someone speaking of your own spiritual path. See if you wouldn't take offense.

Find love and you will have no need to corral people to agree with you.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:55 AM

111 posts, read 179,789 times
John of the Cross is a Spanish mystic from the 16th century. Google his name if you would like to know more about him, but here is a link Biography of St. John of the Cross | Christian Classics Ethereal Library

He drew a sketch to show what it takes to Ascent the Mount of Carmel, the path to perfection and be pure in spirit.

http://www.icspublications.org/images/Drawings1.html

Matthew 5,48: Be you therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect.

1 Peter 1,16: Because it is written: You shall be holy, for I am holy.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I'm not sure you fully understand the breadth of my experience to make such a claim, nor have you necessarily experienced human consciousness on a level that allows you to speak with authority.

You seem to be assessing my experience based upon an assumption that you have reached some sort of pinnacle.

There are many ways to get to Denver and many tools for each individual. Native Americans had certain tools at their disposal, as do Hindus. They all reflect the same love Christ demonstrated. I come from a Christian / Western tradition, so that is the mythology used to guide me. I rather resent your accusation that I say one thing and experience another.
I was not attacking you, Blue Fly. I don't recall speaking about your experiences at all . . . only about the fact that your views do not embody Christian Mysticism. They are quite Mystical . . . but not of Christian origin. Sorry . . . but to me, they smack of the types of mystical experiences attained NOT by conscious disciplined control over our brain states . . . but by external means (which allow for no control and flights of subconscious fancy). That would be my guess . . . but I certainly have no evidence of it. Your allusion to Western tradition suggests peyote . . . but it could be shrooms, LSD, and any number of psychotropic substances . . . which in my view would invalidate the experiences. I hope I am wrong.

If my suppositions are wrong . . . I certainly apologize. But I have extensive personal experience with these altered states while under disciplined conscious control and have encountered and "sourced" those of an internal (subconscious) versus those of an external nature. None of the external sourced experiences match those you allude to . . . many of the internal subconscious sourced were very similar.
Quote:
I do agree with your larger point that gnosticism and mysticism are two very different camps.
Granted . . . we do not significantly disagree about the reality of SOME of these kinds of mystical experiences, Blue Fly . . . but we definitely disagree about which ones might or might not BE real and about what constitutes Christian Mysticism.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:41 PM

I've never engaged in an altered state, mystic. That just creates distortion. Even when people access other planes through such means, what they are seeing is completely distorted.

I can't control what has chosen to engage with me. The veil is very thin for me and I have, unwittingly, experienced things that I never sought and can't fully explain but they have proven to be very positive.

At the core, they were simply tools for a brief period of my life to elevate me to a level to interact in the manner of which you speak (internal subconscious). Once I got a direct connection to my higher consciousness, there was no need for any outside help.

The final step for me was an incredibly intense guided journey to meet the one we call Christ. The climax was the revelation that the one I needed to meet was myself - that Christ I sought resides within.

So, I suspect we're talking about the same. Perhaps you confuse me with Reverend, who seems to be more engaged in interactions with external forces.

I am not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity