Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:40 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,391,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
While Scripture is in Greek and Hebrew which is what is authoritative, in our English Bibles it is the fire that is everlasting. You have to go somewhere outside of Scripture or our King James Version to teach from directly quoted actual words that anything is ceaselessly tortured for ever. This passage speaks not at all of what happens or for how long to the countries or nations that enter it. In Greek it means "age appropriate fire," nothing about the experience of these nations, unless you want to apply what fire does: purify, change and elevate form, "destroy the destructable that what is indestructable may remain." The context (Mt 25) also speaks not at all about believing in Jesus or the gospel, only what these sheep or goat nations did to the helpless needy among them. The acts of the nations are judged by Jesus as He takes over planet Earth, discipling them through His many membered body.

The idea that God had a bunch of people left over that didn't fit His plan, so, not knowing what else to do with them, He just stuffed them into the lake of fire is ridiculous.
I aint hearing all that rubbish you jacking, God has prepared everlasting fire for the devil [and his seed] and his angels..

matt 25:

41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Old 06-21-2009, 11:02 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
I aint hearing all that rubbish you jacking, God has prepared everlasting fire for the devil [and his seed] and his angels..

matt 25:

41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Beloved - how is the "serpents" seed reproduced?

Jesus said to Peter get behind me Satan - Peter is both messenger of Satan and Jesus disciple.

In Romans it says it was one mans disobedience (Adams) that brought sin and death to all men

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
Rom 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
Rom 5:16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
Rom 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
Rom 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
Rom 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
Rom 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
Rom 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
payback for all those who did the deed here and got away?

Old 06-22-2009, 12:03 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
You show me a scripture that specifcally says Jesus christ died for the sins for the devil..
Eph 1:10
"That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:"

2Cr 5:19
"To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world(kosmos/universe/all creation) unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation."

All things in heaven and earth will be gathered together as one in christ. And Christ reconciled the whole world(greek: kosmos, i.e. the entirety of the creation) and will not impute trespasses unto anyone.

So where is Satan?

Job 1:7
"And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it."

So Satan is on earth, and all things on earth and in heaven will be made one in Christ at the fullness of time. Bar none, excepting none ... And Christ reconciled the whole universe, including Satan as Satan is part of the Kosmos and does not exist outside of it.

I know you will not accept this, but it is the sure word of prophecy.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:58 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,993 times
@beloved 57 maybe you would answer me here:

how do you scripturally defend the traditional doctrine of hell against annihilationism?

my interpretation of Matthew 25:46 (however there are another interpretations that work with universalism) you'll find here:

Matthew 25:46

concerning the phrase eis ton aióna and the adjective aiónios you might want to read this paper (the attachment in post 14)

Please no more threads of aionios, anionion etc...

Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
@beloved 57 maybe you would answer me here:

how do you scripturally defend the traditional doctrine of hell against annihilationism?

my interpretation of Matthew 25:46 (however there are another interpretations that work with universalism) you'll find here:

Matthew 25:46

concerning the phrase eis ton aióna and the adjective aiónios you might want to read this paper (the attachment in post 14)

Please no more threads of aionios, anionion etc...
Oh I need to get back to you on that, sorry I forgot Sven. I did read the PDF you sent me though

Old 06-22-2009, 01:22 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,993 times
I appreciate that, I think you're unbiased at least in matter of the term that has been translated "for eternity", as you reject universalism because of other reasons than that, please tell me if you see error in my conclusion, at least on the phrase eis ton aióna, would be a great help.

to be honest I was shocked that you're Calvinist, Calvinism seems unusual in Germany - so I never met a Calvinist before, though I abhor Calvin, you appear to be a honest man, so please don't take this as personal offence.

(I do not abhor Calvin for his teachings but for the murder of Servetus, J. N. Darby taught everlasting hell aswell, and I somehow respect him, maybe because I like his translation.)

Old 06-22-2009, 05:04 PM

192 posts, read 215,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
1Cr 3:15
"If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire."

Here we see plainly that the fiery judgment of God is for the purpose of saving those who have no Good works. This plainly states the purpose of the fire of Gods wrath. It is for salvation.
1 Cor 3:10-13 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder Ilaid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. For no one cay lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw - each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each has done

Paul was talking to a people that were still infants in Christ (1 Cor 3:1). They were dealing with many things still in a fleshly way. Paul was telling them that they had Christ as a foundation, and as such, their good works on top of that foundation would be tested by fire. If the works survive they would be rewarded. If not, they will suffer loss but not ET because the foundation was Christ. He is not talking in any way about those who did not build on this foundation. He was writing to the Corinthian Christians.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
While Scripture is in Greek and Hebrew which is what is authoritative, in our English Bibles it is the fire that is everlasting. You have to go somewhere outside of Scripture or our King James Version to teach from directly quoted actual words that anything is ceaselessly tortured for ever. This passage speaks not at all of what happens or for how long to the countries or nations that enter it. In Greek it means "age appropriate fire," nothing about the experience of these nations, unless you want to apply what fire does: purify, change and elevate form, "destroy the destructable that what is indestructable may remain." The context (Mt 25) also speaks not at all about believing in Jesus or the gospel, only what these sheep or goat nations did to the helpless needy among them. The acts of the nations are judged by Jesus as He takes over planet Earth, discipling them through His many membered body.

The idea that God had a bunch of people left over that didn't fit His plan, so, not knowing what else to do with them, He just stuffed them into the lake of fire is ridiculous.
Matthew 25:31-46 is an account Jesus shared with the disciples at the Mount of Olives. It is a parable in form and therefore has nothing todo with real sheep and real goats. (vs 32 "and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.")

It is one thing to suggest a particular version (whether in English, german, or other translated language) is flawed, but to suggest all are flawed because they are not in the original language is seriously misleading.
First, if it cannot be translated properly, then you can't explain the correct meaning to anyone in anything but the original language, yet you are using English here!
Second, if you can explain it well in English to us, it is misleading to suggest no other translation in English (or otherwise) has done it as well as you. Some might be less than clear in some verses (even then word study is helpful), but few decent translations are wrong in so many ways as you claim.
Finally, the suggestion that everyone will have followed God's plan when scripture so frequently suggests otherwise is ridiculous. Topping that is the idea that God "didn't know what else to do". No one HAS to disobey.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
The first word of Rv 20:15 in the KJV is rendered "whosoever." It literaly means "if, whether" and I reassert that it does not in any rendering indicate whether there was, some, many or few, one or one billion. Such language was used by the Holy Spirit elsewhere, so it is right to assume He had a reason to leave it unanswered by not using such words here. To supply an answer is to go beyond what is written. I'll tell you what a poor loser is: "whosoever" is given a demon to destroy the flesh thereby learning not to go beyond what is written.
Does this explain the "harsh" judgement of death in the garden of Eden for the serious sin of eating a piece of fruit? Remember, Adam and Eve were not given to death, except that they ate the forbidden fruit. Not to mention, it was God that put the tree there wasn't it? Is this sadistic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity