Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,963,052 times

Advertisements

When Aionios is used to describe God in Romans 16:26 it is not used to describe God as being eternal any more than when Aionios is used in Matthew 25:46 is used to describe the chastening and the life as eternal each nation will get.

Rather, when Aionios is used to describe God it is telling us about God's relation to the eons or ages. He is the Aionios/eonian God; the God pertaining to the eons, directing them, subjecting people to the goal He has for each eon.

Likewise the aionios chastening and aionios life the nations get for giving or withholding a cup of water from Christ's brethren is the chastening and life pertaining to that eon. They are both of the same duration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 01:55 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,333,347 times
Quote:
When Aionios is used to describe God in Romans 16:26 it is not used to describe God as being eternal any more than when Aionios is used in Matthew 25:46 is used to describe the chastening and the life as eternal each nation will get.
yes it is almost self-evident, when Paul describes passed by times! as aiónios in the same sentence (Romans 16:25) that he then doesn't want us to tell about God's eternity in Romans 16:26 but rather that God is the God working in and with the ages to achieve His goal.

eternity I think is aidiothtoV [aidiotêtos], it does not occur in the canonic scriptures, but in the apocrypha:

Wisdom 2:23 (KJV)

For God created man to be immortal,
and made him to be an image of His own eternity (aidiotêtos).

Old 07-06-2009, 06:58 PM

42 posts, read 56,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
And
Colossians 1:15-20
15. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.16. For by Him all things were created,all things have been created through Him and for Him.17. He is both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--before all things, and in Him all things hold together.18. He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.19. For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,20. and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.
God bless.
The word "things" in verse 20 is not in the ancient greek NT manuscripts.

And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him, 23 if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister. Col 1:21-23 (ESV)

Old 07-06-2009, 07:54 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,148,619 times
Hi vakot, I apologize for typing the passage incorrectly. It should read

Quote:
15. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.16. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him.17. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.18. He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.19. For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,20. and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.
Even if the word things is not in the original Greek manuscripts, the meaning in the passage does not change.

Quote:
15. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.16. For by Him all were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all have been created through Him and for Him.17. He is before all , and in Him all hold together.18. He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.19. For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,20. and through Him to reconcile all to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether on earth or in heaven.
All is referring to the creation, whatever God created that needs to be reconciled to Him.

And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him, 23 if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister. Col 1:21-23 (ESV)

Believers are reconciled to Him now to be presented holy and blameless, above reproach - if they continue in the faith, stable, steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel...

God bless.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:08 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,944,800 times
Quote:
Even if the word things is not in the original Greek manuscripts, the meaning in the passage does not change.

Well, to me we have to be careful not to add to verses, but to use scripture to tell the story so that we do not mislead others into wrongly justifying adding a word. The same goes for making assumptions based on what is not written in a verse. Even if scripture adds up to "all things" we should not place a word in scripture that is not there. We should use scripture so that our point of view is made approved through scripture and not seen as our understanding.

Ro 8:22 For we are aware that the entire creation (pas ho ktisis) is groaning and travailing together until now (achri ho nun).

Ro 8:23 Yet not only (ou monon) so, but we ourselves also, who have the firstfruit of the spirit, we' ourselves also, are groaning in ourselves, awaiting the sonship, the deliverance of our body.

So what part of "the entire creation" is left out?

Old 07-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Your portraying this in a misleading fashion. No one is saying that the Devil and his seed are in Christ while they are still in the state of evil.

It is a matter of seeing that God will reconcile all things, so that each is in its order.

1C 14:38 Now if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant!
1C 14:39 So that, my brethren, be zealous to be prophesying, and the speaking in languages do not forbid.
1C 14:40 Yet let all occur respectably and according in order.

Jn 10:16 And other sheep have I which are not of this fold. Those also I must be leading, and they will be hearing My voice, and there will be one flock, one Shepherd.
And thou Bethlehem, land of Judah, art in no wise least among the princes of Judah: for out of thee shall come forth a governor, who shall be shepherd of my people Israel. Matt 2:6 (ASV)
24 even us, whom he also called, not from the Jews only, but also from the Gentiles? Romans 9:24 (ASV)
As he saith also in Hosea, I will call that my people, which was not my people; And her beloved, that was not beloved. 26 And it shall be, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, There shall they be called sons of the living God. Romans 9:25-26 (ASV)
For I would not, brethren, have you ignorant of this mystery, lest ye be wise in your own conceits, that a hardening in part hath befallen Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in; 26 and so all Israel shall be saved: even as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer; He shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: Romans 11:25-26 (ASV)
And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what portion hath a believer with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement hath a temple of God with idols? for we are a temple of the living God; even as God said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people 2 Cor 6:15-16 (ASV)
And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. Rev 20:10 (KJV)

Old 07-06-2009, 08:11 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,944,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vakot View Post
And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. Rev 20:10 (KJV)

Rotherham
(Revelation 20:10)and, the Adversary that had been deceiving them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where were both the wild-beast and the false-prophet; and they shall be tormented, day and night, unto the ages of ages

Old 07-06-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Hi vakot, I apologize for typing the passage incorrectly. It should read

All is referring to the creation, whatever God created that needs to be reconciled to Him.

Believers are reconciled to Him now to be presented holy and blameless, above reproach - if they continue in the faith, stable, steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel...

God bless.
Hi Shana,
I beg to differ with your opinion that the passage meaning does not change.Without the word "things" in the passage as the Greek manuscripts state,then one would infer that Paul was talking about people (believers) in heaven and living on earth and not things.Then the following verses of 21 to 23 would make sense as Paul is carrying on(grammatically speaking) from his words in verse 20.
A question.
who gets saved through Jesus"s sacrifice on the cross? people(believers in the gospel) or things?
God bless you too.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Rotherham
(Revelation 20:10)and, the Adversary that had been deceiving them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where were both the wild-beast and the false-prophet; and they shall be tormented, day and night, unto the ages of ages
Thayer Definition:
1) for ever, an unbroken age, perpetuity of time, eternity
2) the worlds, universe
3) period of time, age
But let's just say Rotherham's definition is correct,can you give a or any verse after revelation 20:10 right till the end of the good book(since Ch. 20 onwards deals with judgement and new beginnings) where the Lord reconciles with the devil?
Rev 21:27 and there shall in no wise enter into it anything unclean, or he that maketh an abomination and a lie: but only they that are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Well, to me we have to be careful not to add to verses, but to use scripture to tell the story so that we do not mislead others into wrongly justifying adding a word. The same goes for making assumptions based on what is not written in a verse. Even if scripture adds up to "all things" we should not place a word in scripture that is not there. We should use scripture so that our point of view is made approved through scripture and not seen as our understanding.

Ro 8:22 For we are aware that the entire creation (pas ho ktisis) is groaning and travailing together until now (achri ho nun).

Ro 8:23 Yet not only (ou monon) so, but we ourselves also, who have the firstfruit of the spirit, we' ourselves also, are groaning in ourselves, awaiting the sonship, the deliverance of our body.

So what part of "the entire creation" is left out?
For the earnest expectation of the creation waiteth for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 Romans 8:19-20 (ASV)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity