Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:44 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times

Advertisements

Yes, and Amen to all the above!!!
Praise God our Father for the gift of salvation through His Son Jesus Christ!! And for giving us His Holy Spirit whom is the witness to our hearts and who has sealed us and will keep us until our Lord Jesus Christ shall return on that glorious day.
I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. ( Galatians 2:20)

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 12-09-2007 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 07:05 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Hear and believe ... Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God...

Confess.... But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved...

Continue .... Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
JN 8:33They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 AM

919 posts, read 3,185,165 times
You will get several different answers from different people.....some say you must be dunked in water or else your not really saved, some say by faith alone, some say you do nothing, some say you must do ______insert whatever here...so who is right? Who can prove they are?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
You will get several different answers from different people.....some say you must be dunked in water or else your not really saved, some say by faith alone, some say you do nothing, some say you must do ______insert whatever here...so who is right? Who can prove they are?
Only the Holy Spirit can..

Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Only the Holy Spirit can..
Yes and Amen!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:52 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
It takes believing in your heart and confessing with your mouth that Jesus the Christ is Lord to be saved. Now I know there are many other scriptures that pertain to what a person must do to be saved, but it all boils down to this belief and confession. If Jesus is Lord u will speak right because u belive right, so u will live right. The opposite is true too. U are not going to live right if u don't speak right and u are not going to speak right if u don't belive right. The link between belief and confession is an intersting one. The Bible says we have to gaurd our heart or soul which is speaking of the mind, will and emotions - for "out of the abundance of the heart", or out of the abundance of the mind will and emotions "the mouth will speak..." The evidence of belief is demonstrated in life-style. The closest analogy I can think of is "practice what u preach." If u believe what u speak u will live what u preach. This is no small task. It is not something u just do one time and it is done. It is a process and a journey. Now what does it take to be saved? EVERYTHING...I must decrease so that HE can increase in my life. I have to die to self (my will, my attitudes, my plans, ambitions and emotions). I have to renounce my life in the world, take up my cross and follow HIM daily. Quite often I fall short and I miss the mark. So, what does it really take...All of GOD'S grace, mercy and forgiveness. Thank God HE has enough to go around.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:23 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Missing North Carolina:
not believing that baptism saves? Have you not read these passages -

Mark 1:4 And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

And Jesus ask:
Luke 20:4John’s baptism—was it from heaven, or from men?"
5They discussed it among themselves and said, "If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will ask, ‘Why didn’t you believe him?’ 6But if we say, ‘From men,’ all the people will stone us, because they are persuaded that John was a prophet."

Acts 19: 3,4
3So Paul asked, "Then what baptism did you receive?"
"John’s baptism," they replied.
4Paul said, "John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus." 5On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus

Romans 6:3,4

3Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

Ephesians 4:4-6

There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called—5one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Colossians 2: 11,12

11In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ, 12having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.

The most clear passage is - 1 Peter 3:18-21

18For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 19through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison 20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22who has gone into heaven and is at God’s right hand

To deny that baptism saves is to deny the death and resurrection of our Lord - there is no other interpretation. His resurrection is the guarantee

Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,295 times
Default Salvation

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Missing North Carolina:
not believing that baptism saves? Have you not read these passages -

Mark 1:4 And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

And Jesus ask:
Luke 20:4John’s baptism—was it from heaven, or from men?"
5They discussed it among themselves and said, "If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will ask, ‘Why didn’t you believe him?’ 6But if we say, ‘From men,’ all the people will stone us, because they are persuaded that John was a prophet."

Acts 19: 3,4
3So Paul asked, "Then what baptism did you receive?"
"John’s baptism," they replied.
4Paul said, "John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus." 5On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus

Romans 6:3,4

3Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

Ephesians 4:4-6

There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called—5one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Colossians 2: 11,12

11In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ, 12having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.

The most clear passage is - 1 Peter 3:18-21

18For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 19through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison 20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22who has gone into heaven and is at God’s right hand

To deny that baptism saves is to deny the death and resurrection of our Lord - there is no other interpretation. His resurrection is the guarantee
Great Points twin.spin!
So many christians seem to forget how many times God mentions baptism and unites it with salvation. How can we get around that, when the early church first began and "Peter replied, Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins...... "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." Those who accepted his message were baptized , and about three thousand were added to their number that day. Acts 2:38-41
This doesn't sound like the alter call that says "just pray Jesus into your heart and you will be forgiven of your sins."
Yes it's true that without belief in Christ we are just getting wet in baptism ("but whoever does not believe will be condemned" Mark 16:16) but put them together and we are saved ("Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved." (Mark 16:16 )
I know God has the power to save a man even if He wasn't baptized, because He can do whatever He wants, but if God is saying baptism is connected with salvation, shouldn't we believe it and obey?
God Bless
Jerome

Old 12-13-2007, 05:28 AM

I always believed that baptizism is the symbol of the heart done to represent the changed heart.
That baptizism is the outward confession by being immersed or sprinkling of water of the inward confession unto repentance.
It symbolized the cleansing and purification of the heart from sin. That being baptize doesn't save it is the representation of the changed heart from death to life. A spiritual state. That only Christ Jesus can do through the power of His Holy Spirit.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:35 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
I always believed that baptizism is the symbol of the heart done to represent the changed heart.
That baptizism is the outward confession by being immersed or sprinkling of water of the inward confession unto repentance.
It symbolized the cleansing and purification of the heart from sin. That being baptize doesn't save it is the representation of the changed heart from death to life. A spiritual state. That only Christ Jesus can do through the power of His Holy Spirit.
I agree. And believe you are 100% correct. However, some people believe the 'works' of baptism that man can do somehow effects their eternal condition.

We had a whole thread about it. I'd encourage the discussion on the baptism element to go to this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ts-2-38-a.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity