Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:59 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post

I got it the first time, but was reinforcing what John and Jesus taught, because UR's don't talk repentance, just acceptance. This is why your doctrine doesn't do the world any good, because it accepts alternate sinful lifestyles.
In other words, if the sin is not defined, and rebuked to repentance, then there is no gospel message. This is why sinners, who willfully continue in their sin, flock to the UR churches in droves, and why the likes of the prosperity preachers are so successful.
I whole heartedly believe in repentance . The difference is i believe that the goodness of God causes and leads us to it , and not bible threats and condemnation. Romans 2 verse 4.

Have a good day

And why are believers really leaving the organization ? http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~revival/00-Out-Of-Church.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 11:10 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
June's just curious:

Just how effective is shame in bringing people to Christ?

She really would like an honest answer to that in the aftermath of having watched the first video. (She's debating whether to watch the second.)

Also, given the fact that Jesus simply said "Follow me" as opposed to shaming and humiliating people into doing so, what exactly would the true definition of an "inadequate Gospel" be?

-Because she thinks she just might have heard one?

Old 10-11-2009, 11:21 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I whole heartedly believe in repentance . The difference is i believe that the goodness of God causes and leads us to it , and not bible threats and condemnation. Romans 2 verse 4.

Have a good day

And why are believers really leaving the organization ? The "Out of Church" Christians - BOOK by Andrew Strom.
Yea, America is just getting better with all the 85% professing to believe in God. Don't need to read more rubble,,,just go outside and see for yourself.

BTW, you sure are promoting this book by Andrew. Are you Andrew, or just a disciple of his?

Old 10-11-2009, 11:25 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Just how effective is shame in bringing people to Christ?
Shame is needed for the prideful.
Shame is needed for those who knowing God, sin anyways.

Those who are hurting, sorrowful, peacemakers, loving, merciful and poor do not need shame. They just need Jesus to wrap His arms around them. Blessed are those.

Quote:
Also, given the fact that Jesus simply said "Follow me" as opposed to shaming and humiliating people into doing so, what exactly would the true definition of an "inadequate Gospel" be?
He did shame and humilitate the Pharisees. Those who are prideful need shame and humility.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:43 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Quote:

I got it the first time, but was reinforcing what John and Jesus taught, because UR's don't talk repentance, just acceptance. This is why your doctrine doesn't do the world any good, because it accepts alternate sinful lifestyles.
In other words, if the sin is not defined, and rebuked to repentance, then there is no gospel message. This is why sinners, who willfully continue in their sin, flock to the UR churches in droves, and why the likes of the prosperity preachers are so successful.
Wrong ... All we do is talk repentance ... Only to the fundamentalists ... We talk about fundies repenting from their false religion and repenting of violence and repenting of greed and hate ... Pretty much what Christ talked about during his entire ministry.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Shame is needed for the prideful.
Shame is needed for those who knowing God, sin anyways.
Okay...But even those who "know God" sin.

June sorta gets the feeling that it's one of those "try-though-I-might" unavoidable aspects of Christian life. Nobody is perfect. But nonetheless, she would tend to lean towards the notion that remorse in those who have sinned is a far more effective means towards bringing about a transformation.

Shaming of either others, or oneself has always struck June has having terribly toxic results. (Which she could postulate would only perpetuate sin that much more...) --But what does June know? Just her thoughts...

Old 10-11-2009, 12:03 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:

June sorta gets the feeling that it's one of those "try-though-I-might" unavoidable aspects of Christian life. Nobody is perfect. But nonetheless, she would tend to lean towards the notion that remorse in those who have sinned is a far more effective means towards bringing about a transformation.

Shaming of either others, or oneself has always struck June has having terribly toxic results. (Which she could postulate would only perpetuate sin that much more...) --But what does June know? Just her thoughts...
June there is no doubt that when a believer truelly comes to understand the love and grace of God you are never the same again.

Just like Romans 2 verse says it's the goodness of God that causes and leads us to repentance, and repentance leads us into to His love unmeasurable.

Ephesians 3 :18,19

may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,
and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,

June as we begin to comprehend the love of God it has a dramatic changing effect on our lives.
The trouble is we are told to comprehend how awful we are , how all those who do not believe are children of the devil,what is in store from a loving vengeful god ?????.

It really is not about trying to do our best , it's about comprehending God's heart towards you and it's power to make you be what what we desire to be.

June i forgot to mention that you have a better understanding of things of God than much of the fundamental posters on here,jmho.

Last edited by pcamps; 10-11-2009 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 12:08 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Wrong ... All we do is talk repentance ... Only to the fundamentalists ... We talk about fundies repenting from their false religion and repenting of violence and repenting of greed and hate ... Pretty much what Christ talked about during his entire ministry.
That is the "World" that crucified Jesus, and they are still doing it.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:14 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:

Shaming of either others, or oneself has always struck June as having terribly toxic results. (Which she could postulate would only perpetuate sin that much more...) --But what does June know? Just her thoughts...
Unnecessary humility, June . . . you and I both know that is exactly what it can produce.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
you and I both know that is exactly what it can produce.
I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity