Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times

Advertisements

Wait a minute.

Is June actually moderating a thread here in which everyone actually AGREES!?

YouTube - Handel - Hallelujah: 14/04/2009: 250TH ANNIVERSARY OF HANDEL'S DEATH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 06:24 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
A precious member and I were discussing the differences we have on this forum of believers. Now that the lines are being drawn again, I thought I would list four staples of the Christian faith. As God is my strength, I will never stray from these:

1. God the Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

2. The blood of Jesus for the remission of sins

3. There is one mediator between God and man: Christ Jesus

4. Jesus is the way, truth, and the life - apart from Him, there is no other name by which men can be saved.

There are obviously many other issues that we may differ on, but it's these points that we build upon as Christians.

What say you - do these four points stray from your belief?

Old 10-22-2009, 06:25 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
He declared Himself the son of man because He wore an earthly body. "I and my Father are one". (John 10:30)

Again, they are in perfect agreement.
Yes just the I am in perfect agreement with my husband and we are one. In Jesus' prayer to God he says that we all should be one with the father... does that mean we are all gods?

Quote:
No, 1 X 1 X 1 = 1
Yeah.. my mistake, I meant to put +.. Yikes.. You get my meaning though.. 3 cannot be 1 and 3 at the same time...

Quote:
We're talking about another realm: God does not only communicate by His spirit, God IS spirit.
Then God's holy spirit cannot be a separate person of the God head. God and the holy spirit are the same thing... that I can agree with.

Quote:
And there is the paradox: He can express Himself infinitely. It's like your brain and body working in tandom.
No because my brain and my body aren't on earth and heaven at the same time...But God as royalty is referred to in the plural as is commonplace, so there is no wonder at the pronouns that the translators chose to use..

Quote:
Once again, agree - but there is the distinction of a Father - Son relationship, both in His earthly servitude (submission to the Father's will) and at the culmination of the ages, when the Son gives all things over to the Father (and all creation is consummated).
If God is God in heaven, why does that change because he is on earth? So he makes himself lower than himself on earth? Doesn't happen that way. You are saying that God is schizophrenic.

Like I said, I am not trying to change your mind. God, to me, is one God not 3 persons, just one. Jesus was born. God cannot be born, he has no beginning. Jesus died, God cannot die. Jesus is shown in heaven by John as being a separate person still... Jesus was seen at the right-hand of God not as God.

I don't get how you fit all this together to get that Jesus is God.
Personally, I see that if Jesus were human his accomplishment of being sinless would be a great accomplishment and extraordinary.. if Jesus is God then being sinless is not a great shock...

Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times
Quote:
A precious member and I were discussing the differences we have on this forum of believers. Now that the lines are being drawn again, I thought I would list four staples of the Christian faith. As God is my strength, I will never stray from these:

4. Jesus is the way, truth, and the life - apart from Him, there is no other name by which men can be saved.

There are obviously many other issues that we may differ on, but it's these points that we build upon as Christians.

I agree brother!!!!! Amen!!! Your good kind soul always shines through your posts . . . Lifesigns64

Old 10-22-2009, 07:58 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes

Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Like I said, I am not trying to change your mind. God, to me, is one God not 3 persons, just one. Jesus was born. God cannot be born, he has no beginning. Jesus died, God cannot die. Jesus is shown in heaven by John as being a separate person still... Jesus was seen at the right-hand of God not as God.

I don't get how you fit all this together to get that Jesus is God.
Personally, I see that if Jesus were human his accomplishment of being sinless would be a great accomplishment and extraordinary.. if Jesus is God then being sinless is not a great shock...
I agree kat. Jesus told his disciples to be as one as he and the father are one. That pretty much explains what he meant as far as being one with the father. The disciples are not the same person. They are different people. Just like Jesus and the father are different people. But they are one in spirit and purpose. They are of one accord. In light of Jesus`s statement, I don`t see how it can be interpreted any other way.
Also, GOD is a title. It is not the name of the father.
If a an owner of a company hires someone and gives him authority to run the business, they are both known as boss to the employees. But they are not the same person and they don`t have the same authority. The owner may give the hands on day to day running of the new business to the manager. They both are boss but the manager has been giving authority by the owner. The manager is still boss but he is subserviant to the owner. Once the manager has the business up and running smoothly he gives the business back over to the owner.
That is how I see Jesus and the father. They are different entities. Noone has seen the father. The bible says there is one God,the father AND one LORD,Jesus. That pretty much sums it up. The bible could not be any clearer than that. ONE GOD,the Father. ONE LORD, JESUS.One mediator between man and GOD, A MAN,Jesus .
1 Cor 8:
6But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
Fill in the blanks:

How many Gods_____
Who is that God______
How many Lords______
Who is that Lord_____
Does the bible make a distinction between the two____
All things are OF the father. All things are BY Jesus.
1 Tim:
5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

We`ve already seen who God is, the bible says it is the FATHER.
Who is the mediator between God and man? The bible says it is the MAN, Christ Jesus. It doesn`t say God the Father is the mediator btween himself and man. It is a seperate person, Jesus.
Why the need to call them seperate people if they are the same. Why didn`t God the father just come down out of heaven and say in plain language,I am God, the origin of all things and I`ve come to die (eventhough God the father is eternal and can`t die). No need to call him son of himself. No need to pray up to heaven and call yourself Father eventhough you are on earth calling yourself son... Why the need to pray to anyone? Just say, I don`t need to pray to anyone because I am the father. I`m just here in the form of man calling myself son of myself, praying to myself (whom I call Father) just to confuse everyone and make it hard for everybody to understand this whole thing.
I just don`t see the point of giving himself different names and calling himself father,son etc. Praying to himself when he is really the same person he is praying to.
To me, the whole trinity thing is a perfect example of how far people will go to believe what they are taught rather than believe with their own eyes and use the wisdome that God gave them. I know the people who have been indoctrinated with churchology won`t see it no matter what. This isn`t for you. This is for anyone that is using their God giving common sense and can read scriptures plainly and take it for what it actually says rather than believing your lying eyes.
The bible says there is one God..the FATHER..believe it.
It says there is one Lord..JESUS..believe it.
One mediator between that one God and man...THE MAN,CHRIST JESUS..believe it!
Try explaining the trinity to a child. They will never be able to understand it. Heck, a lot of pastors admit they don`t understand it either. But be as a child, and accept what the bible says in very easy to understand terms. The father and Jesus are not the same person. They are one in unity and purpose just like we are supposed to be and just like we will be some day. But we will never be the same exact person.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:26 PM

595 posts, read 762,035 times
Glory to God in the Highest!
AGREE!
Colossians 2:9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,

Quote:

Old 10-22-2009, 10:40 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
AGREE!
Colossians 2:9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,
Does the fullness of God live in you? Do you have the spirit of God within you?

Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
AGREE!
Colossians 2:10 and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.
The risen Christ is the fullness of deity as we are in Christ's resurrection.
So I have the same fullness of the deity in Christ... yet I am not God!

2 Peter 1:4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

The Holy Spirit dwells in us.. The Holy Spirit dwelt in Christ.

It's not the complicated. Jesus is not God, he is filled to the fullness of God, is the image of God, reflected God, the son of God.. but not God.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:52 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
Quote:

No they don't I hold to them Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity