Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:21 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
God provided the sacrifice for our atonement....God was not the sacrifice.

Saying it doesn't make it so.
I do not have to say so. His words says so.

I have given enough scriptures that declare God the Saviour and Jesus is the Saviour for you to draw the conclusion that Jesus is God.

You cannot get around them nor Ironmaw's reference in the scriptures of Thomas calling Jesus God.

So it is more than just my saying so.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:24 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Here are the facts concerning Jesus according to scripture.

Jesus is the word, the word was with God and the word was God before the creation of the universe and the word became flesh as the man Jesus and dwelt among men. Jesus created all things in heaven and in earth, whether visible or invisible. All things were created for Jesus, they were made for him and by him. Jesus was prophesied by Isaiah to be known as the God of the ages. The disciples believed Jesus was their God, attested to by the words of both Thomas and John.

Now these are the facts according to scripture, whether or not you agree with the scripture in regards these things is another story.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:24 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
The disciples did believe that Christ was God ...

Jhn 20:26-29
And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my God. Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Jesus didn't deny that he was Thomas God, and he did not correct him. You would think that if Jesus was not God he would have said something at that time.
Thomas obviously didn't mean it the way you take it. "God" is a title and means "Placer" or "Disposer" or "Subjector." Thomas was telling Jesus He was His Lord and Subjector. That is why Jesus never corrected Him. Obviously, doubting Thomas is also ignorant Thomas (if taken the way you take his statement) especially after Jesus just got done telling them He is not their "God" in the absolute sense of the word.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:28 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Here are the facts concerning Jesus according to scripture.

Jesus is the word, the word was with God and the word was God before the creation of the universe and the word became flesh as the man Jesus and dwelt among men. Jesus created all things in heaven and, whether visible or invisible. All things were created for Jesus. Jesus was prophesied by Isaiah to be called the God of the ages. The disciples believed Jesus was their God, attested by the words of Thomas and John.

Now these are the facts according to scripture, whether or not you agree with the scripture in regards these things is another story.
You need to ask yourself: "In what sense is "God" used in John 1. Obviously if a word is toward God it cannot be the same at that God. The word, being toward God points us toward God.

"Jesus is the image of the invisible God."

An image on a coin is not literally the person it represents.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Thomas obviously didn't mean it the way you take it. "God" is a title and means "Placer" or "Disposer" or "Subjector." Thomas was telling Jesus He was His Lord and Subjector. That is why Jesus never corrected Him. Obviously, doubting Thomas is also ignorant Thomas (if taken the way you take his statement) especially after Jesus just got done telling them He is not their "God" in the absolute sense of the word.
Whatever you believe Thomas meant, he called Jesus theos, which is the word for God in the Greek. I dont know what you think he meant, but he called Jesus His lord and God.

If you dont believe he meant that Jesus was his God, then you must not believe he meant that Jesus was his lord either.

And if Thomas was wrong to think Jesus was his God, why didn't Jesus correct him, as that would have been the time and place to do so if what you say is true.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
You need to ask yourself: "In what sense is "God" used in John 1. Obviously if a word is toward God it cannot be the same at that God. The word, being toward God points us toward God.

"Jesus is the image of the invisible God."

An image on a coin is not literally the person it represents.
That is not obvious at all, my leg is me, and my arm is me, and my head is me. But i am not only my arm or my leg or my head.

And John didn't say the word was toward God, he said the word WAS God ...

And Jesus became a little lower than the angels when he was born as a man. Before he became lower than the angels he was higher than them as he was deity.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:33 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
I do not have to say so. His words says so.

I have given enough scriptures that declare God the Saviour and Jesus is the Saviour for you to draw the conclusion that Jesus is God.

You cannot get around them nor Ironmaw's reference in the scriptures of Thomas calling Jesus God.

So it is more than just my saying so.
God did provide our salvation by the means of Jesus The Christ.....however, God was not the sacrifice. And there have been plenty of scriptures posted refuting the Jesus is God Theory....Jesus says in many place that he is the Son of God....not God Himself.

Just ask yourself this.....If God was hanging on the cross, and we all know that God cannot die for He is immortal....what sacrifice was made? If there was no death....there was no sacrifice.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
God did provide our salvation by the means of Jesus The Christ.....however, God was not the sacrifice. And there have been plenty of scriptures posted refuting the Jesus is God Theory....Jesus says in many place that he is the Son of God....not God Himself.

Just ask yourself this.....If God was hanging on the cross, and we all know that God cannot die for He is immortal....what sacrifice was made? If there was no death....there was no sacrifice.
That is false logic ... Jesus saying that he is the son of God is not Jesus denying that he is God. Jesus said i and my father are one, and when we see him we see the father.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:37 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,289 times
Quote:
Seeing how the Pharisees were looking for any legal excuse to stone Jesus, I would think His disciples would be better at the choice of words they would use.

So in all respect: Thomas should have been stoned to death for spouting such "blasphemy", but he was not. He wasn't even scolded, told to sit in a corner, or write on the chalkboard a 100 times that Jesus is not God.

You really think readers of these words would need clarity on that response? What was John thinking when he wrote this?

So as opposing from your point of view... John knew exactly what he was writing and why he was not stoned nor was anybody else for that matter, in connecting the dot that Jesus is God.

They understood God when He said.. "I am he." as in the "I AM".

Old 12-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Jesus never called himself the messiah, but relied on the words of others to do so. Does that mean Jesus denied he was the messiah? In the same manner Jesus never called himself God, but relied on the words of others to do so, and their believing it was matter of faith then and is still a matter of faith now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity