Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:34 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,283,112 times

Advertisements

How arrogant is it to believe that we're living in the end times? Hasn't every Christian since the invention of the religion believed that they were living in the end and Jesus would return in their lifetime?

If you're a Christian, and you believe in that stuff, then good for you, but I'd highly recommend against living your life as if the world were ending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 02:43 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,446,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Betsey, the argument is with Betsey Lane's ASSERTION that weather patterns and NORMAL natural disasters are somehow linked to ancient prophecies heralding the return of a cosmic hero. I am just saying you are not doing justice to your own bible because of what you WANT to believe.
Not I, don't bestow on me that credit please. This is one of the many proclamation my ancient prophecies called the BIBLE has to say:

And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. (
Luke 21: 25-28)

It lends justice to Itself, for it is the WORD OF THE MOST HIGH GOD, needs no interpretation of man WHATSOEVER, not yours, not mines, not theirs.........again your choice, amen?

But be forewarned, this same BOOK that you don't believe in also says this:

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good. (Psalm 53: 1)

Just saying......

Old 02-27-2010, 02:48 PM

It seems that the bad weather is keeping some people from occupying their normal street corners.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,506,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
How arrogant is it to believe that we're living in the end times? Hasn't every Christian since the invention of the religion believed that they were living in the end and Jesus would return in their lifetime?

If you're a Christian, and you believe in that stuff, then good for you, but I'd highly recommend against living your life as if the world were ending.
There is a verse (only in Christianity as far as I know) which sums up what you said:

Luke 12:19
And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry."

And only in Christianity, God responds to that:
Luke 12:20
" 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. "

No doubt this guy was probably recommending the same thing.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:56 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,441,266 times
I graduated from High school in Santiago...as far as I know, everyone I know is ok.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:03 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,446,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post

And how foolish it is to believe we're not..........

Old 02-27-2010, 03:05 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,635,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Betsey, the argument is with Betsey Lane's ASSERTION that weather patterns and NORMAL natural disasters are somehow linked to ancient prophecies heralding the return of a cosmic hero. I am just saying you are not doing justice to your own bible because of what you WANT to believe.
I'm with you. This may be the end times or maybe it isn't. But these earthquakes are no indication of anything. There are earthquakes on a continuous basis somewhere in the world. There is always a war going on somewhere. There are new leaders somewhere in the world all the time. Poverty and starvation, enough said.

I totally reject these denominations that just sit around at look at every blip in the world and say see, the end-times are near. It just down right depressing and counter to hope.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:29 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Not I, don't bestow on me that credit please. This is one of the many proclamation my ancient prophecies called the BIBLE has to say:

And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. (
Luke 21: 25-28)

It lends justice to Itself, for it is the WORD OF THE MOST HIGH GOD, needs no interpretation of man WHATSOEVER, not yours, not mines, not theirs.........again your choice, amen?

But be forewarned, this same BOOK that you don't believe in also says this:

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good. (Psalm 53: 1)

Just saying......

Betsey you tell me it needs no interpretation including yours but I'm willing to wager you believe your interpretation is the correct one, right?

Old 02-27-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
And how foolish it is to believe we're not..........
Less foolish than to believe we are.

Seriously, just do a bit of reading on the topic. There are thousands of "prophets" from the past 2000+ that have claimed they were living in the end times. This is nothing new, what proof do you have that the current end times "prophets" are any different than their predecessors? Natural phenomena like earthquakes?

Old 02-27-2010, 10:55 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,540,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Within the past 50 years, which is a blip on the screen, the Lord Jesus' words are being fulfilled. We are the end-time generation that will see all things come to pass. Woe to the inhabitants of the earth!

And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven. - Luke 21:11

So, mock away to your own peril!
Recorded history disagrees with you.. there have been just as many now as the 50 years before.

There is a good article on it here covering just the last 100 years...

CBC News - World - The world's worst natural disasters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity