Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:23 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Not I, don't bestow on me that credit please. This is one of the many proclamation my ancient prophecies called the BIBLE has to say:

And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. (Luke 21: 25-28)
That could describe literally any point in history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:44 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
There is a verse (only in Christianity as far as I know) which sums up what you said:

Luke 12:19
And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry."

And only in Christianity, God responds to that:
Luke 12:20
" 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. "

No doubt this guy was probably recommending the same thing.
Very good TS....I'd like to reiterate this with a sad story. The "take life easy; eat, drink and be merry" was the mantra for my ex-husband. He had a life philosophy of ignoring God and living it up by abusing alcohol and never taking anything seriously. Life was just one big party of alcohol and women.

And then there's Luke which should snap anyone back into reality....."YOU FOOL, this very night your life will be demanded from you".

Yesterday we got the news that my ex was killed in a car crash. He thought he was invincible and was full of the devil. It makes me so sad that he was not saved and would not listen to me or anyone else. I have every reason to wish the worst on him but I never did. I actually prayed for him on occasion and hoped for the best. This "VERY NIGHT" though, our lives could be demanded from us!! How arrogant it is for us to think beyond this very night in terms of our eternal destiny.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Very good TS....I'd like to reiterate this with a sad story. The "take life easy; eat, drink and be merry" was the mantra for my ex-husband. He had a life philosophy of ignoring God and living it up by abusing alcohol and never taking anything seriously. Life was just one big party of alcohol and women.

And then there's Luke which should snap anyone back into reality....."YOU FOOL, this very night your life will be demanded from you".

Yesterday we got the news that my ex was killed in a car crash. He thought he was invincible and was full of the devil. It makes me so sad that he was not saved and would not listen to me or anyone else. I have every reason to wish the worst on him but I never did. I actually prayed for him on occasion and hoped for the best. This "VERY NIGHT" though, our lives could be demanded from us!! How arrogant it is for us to think beyond this very night in terms of our eternal destiny.
Wow, Ilene, what a testimony, awful as it is... yet, you and Twin.spin are so correct for we do not know......

Luke 12:20
" 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. "

Blessings

Old 02-28-2010, 10:31 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
Ilene that is very sad, sad indeed, but is that supposed to suddenly make us accept the idea that earthquakes means Jesus is coming soon and we should become Christians just in case? It sure sounds like that is what you are implying. Help this 'fool' understand, please.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:38 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Recorded history disagrees with you.. there have been just as many now as the 50 years before.
I was responding to the post which alluded to the Chilean earthquakes of 1960, 1985 and 2010; that's 50 years.

While there have always been calamities in the world, they are becoming more frequent as the end of this devilish civilization is being closed out by the Lord God Almighty; it is written.

Matthew 24
6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Ilene that is very sad, sad indeed, but is that supposed to suddenly make us accept the idea that earthquakes means Jesus is coming soon and we should become Christians just in case? It sure sounds like that is what you are implying. Help this 'fool' understand, please.
No you should become a Christian to have the best life you could possibly have RIGHT NOW, not "just in case" of disaster. Because tomorrow is not guaranteed to us, is it? I'm sure the earthquake in Chile was unexpected by EVERYONE but it is a good example of why we need to accept Jesus Christ now and not just wait until we've had enough of the partying and living it up like there's no tomorrow. One thing we're all guaranteed is death, whether we know it's coming or not.

A sudden disaster should make everyone think twice and be thankful the Lord has allowed us more time to accept Him. I know you say you "used to be" a Christian, but were you really? If you truly were you would not want anything else BUT Jesus and that would be all that mattered.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
No you should become a Christian to have the best life you could possibly have RIGHT NOW, not "just in case" of disaster. Because tomorrow is not guaranteed to us, is it? I'm sure the earthquake in Chile was unexpected by EVERYONE but it is a good example of why we need to accept Jesus Christ now and not just wait until we've had enough of the partying and living it up like there's no tomorrow. One thing we're all guaranteed is death, whether we know it's coming or not.

A sudden disaster should make everyone think twice and be thankful the Lord has allowed us more time to accept Him. I know you say you "used to be" a Christian, but were you really? If you truly were you would not want anything else BUT Jesus and that would be all that mattered.
First off all Ilene, it was just a little over a month ago after the Haiti quake one of those documentary channels resurrected an OLD documentary on the two massive quakes in Chile in 1960 (In fact, they do this all the time after a disaster and I JUST finished watching a documentary on earthquakes on the Discovery channel). Me, as a student of these things and a lover of the subject of geology follow these things an study them. The quake in Chile was NOT an unexpected event. Why? Because the area is an earthquake HOT BED. How do you think the Andes (straddling Chile and other South American countries) got there billions of years ago?

Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
First off all Ilene, it was just a little over a month ago after the Haiti quake one of those documentary channels resurrected an OLD documentary on the two massive quakes in Chile in 1960 (In fact, they do this all the time after a disaster and I JUST finished watching a documentary on earthquakes on the Discovery channel). Me, as a student of these things and a lover of the subject of geology follow these things an study them. The quake in Chile was NOT an unexpected event. Why? Because the area is an earthquake HOT BED. How do you think the Andes (straddling Chile and other South American countries) got there billions of years ago?
So you're saying someone knew about this particular earthquake and knew exactly when it was coming? Then why did all those people die? Come on, Insane....earthquakes are about as predictable as my haircolor. California is an earthquake hotbed too.....so when's the next one coming?

My point is.....the ground could drop from underneath me right now as I'm typing and I could be swallowed up by this giant sinkhole but I will have no fear because I have peace. Peace that surpasses all understanding and keeps me from worrying about sinkholes. Especially that big fiery sinkhole.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
So you're saying someone knew about this particular earthquake and knew exactly when it was coming? Then why did all those people die? Come on, Insane....earthquakes are about as predictable as my haircolor. California is an earthquake hotbed too.....so when's the next one coming?
C'mon now Ilene. You know you're being facetious here my dear. No one is saying they can predict PRECISELY WHEN and [specifically] the EXACT spot where a quake will hit anymore than the Bible did or can. What scientist and observers do is predict quakes in HIGHLY stressed areas along fault lines around the earth. Chile just happens to be right on top one of those fault lines just like Haiti, California and Japan, amongst other places.

Chile has had THREE major quakes in 50 years and I 'm sure countless others in times long past. The folks there are well aware they HAVE, CAN and WILL happen and just because people died does not mean they were not aware. Unlike the poorer Haiti, Chile made improvements to their infrastructure to soften the damage. This does NOT eliminate the potential for deaths, however.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:23 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I liken 'living in the end times" the same as as saying we all begin the dying process the minute we are born..I believe that nothing this side of eternity will live forever..Nature and the changing earth and our frail bodies that are prone to disease and disabilities testify to that...

As a believer I look for perfection of body and surroundings only in the afterlife..In the meantime, this life is my opportunity to seek Him , to abide in His love, and to share His presence within myself in everything I say and do and with prayer that with no anger, fear or threats come from me when I witness to others. My aim in this life is to present God and Christ to others in the hopes that they will also seek them and gain the peace and love that I have in them..The real work is done by the Holy Spirit..lest I become "puffed up with pride" and boasting from "my" works..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity