Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Christian UR People - How long were you a Christian when you stopped believing in eternal torture?
I never believed in eternal torture. 3 12.00%
0 - 5 years 1 4.00%
5 - 10 years 0 0%
10 - 25 years 7 28.00%
More than 25 years 14 56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:19 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
God is not a liar and the Bible is clear what happens to those who reject Him. Matthew 7:13 has nothing to do with God being so nice that He will save all people. That verse is speaking about God blessing people who ask Him not about Him letting anyone into heaven because He's so nice.
Who said anything about being nice ? . God is love , which at times is demonstrated in chastisement and discipline.

Of cause the verse is talking about exactly what it says , but if you cannot see and understand that you can take from it that if we being evil know how to be good , how much more your heavenly Father, i'm sorry but you need to have your blinkers removed , this verse shouts from the roof tops about the nature and character of God.

Answer this simple question , would you cast ,throw,send (which ever way takes your fancy) your own children into the lake of fire the orthodox christian believes in (even if you thought they deserved it) ?. I hope your answer is no.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:29 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
In this case, you seem to be reading the scriptures with a bias towards what you personally believe. There have been times when God has authorized polygamous marriages, and not just "given in" to what people want. Abraham is a perfect example of this. How many men can you think of who were as obedient to God's laws as Abraham, and whom God has blessed to the degree He blessed Abraham? Abraham had several wives and there is not one shred of evidence that God disapproved of this practice at all. This had nothing to do with God's "permissive will." If God had been opposed to what Abraham was doing, you can be sure that He would have made his opinion known and that Abraham would have obeyed Him.
As meerkat pointed above, I was thinking multiple wives, but the scripture is speaking about divorce. I should have written divorce. My apologies.

Mat 19:7 They are saying to Him, "Why, then, does Moses direct to give a scroll of divorce and to dismiss her?"
Mat 19:8 Jesus is saying to them, that "Moses, in view of your hardheartedness, permits you to dismiss your wives. Yet from the beginning it has not come to be thus.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Who said anything about being nice ? . God is love , which at times is demonstrated in chastisement and discipline.

Of cause the verse is talking about exactly what it says , but if you cannot see and understand that you can take from it that if we being evil know how to be good , how much more your heavenly Father, i'm sorry but you need to have your blinkers removed , this verse shouts from the roof tops about the nature and character of God.

Answer this simple question , would you cast ,throw,send (which ever way takes your fancy) your own children into the lake of fire the orthodox christian believes in (even if you thought they deserved it) ?. I hope your answer is no.
We can never compare our thoughts/ways to God. God is just and His ways are perfect. I trust Him and I trust the Word of God.

"My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,' says the Lord. 'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

Like I wrote above, we are completely off topic and it's my fault. I shouldn't have even responded when this thread is specifically meant for universalists. I will leave and again I apologize OP.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:38 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
As meerkat pointed above, I was thinking multiple wives, but the scripture is speaking about divorce. I should have written divorce. My apologies.
No biggie.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
So you think that means He will let anyone into heaven? That's not what the scripture says.

Edit: I'm not going to post here because this is off topic. This thread is for universalists so I'll leave. I shouldn't have even responded. Sorry OP.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
We can never compare our thoughts/ways to God. God is just and His ways are perfect. I trust Him and I trust the Word of God.

"My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,' says the Lord. 'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

Like I wrote above, we are completely off topic and it's my fault. I shouldn't have even responded when this thread is specifically meant for universalists. I will leave and again I apologize OP.
The biggest cop out fundamentalist christians use is Isaiah 55 :8-9.

Do you know what it means when it says my ways and thoughts are than yours ?.

Let me tell you .

It means i bless rather than curse , it means i freely give , it means if some one smites me on the cheek i turn and offer the other , it means if someone wants to sue you for your tunic offer him your cloak as well, if someone forces you to go a mile , go 2 , do you get the drift. These are the higher thoughts and ways of our God.

The scriptures tell us that we should love mercy , do justly and walk humbly , did you see that we should love mercy, if only the orthodox christian could just get a glimpse of what that means he would count all that he's believed up to now as dung.

Last edited by pcamps; 06-08-2010 at 07:52 PM..

Old 06-08-2010, 08:01 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,310 times
Quote:

Let me tell you .

It means i bless rather than curse , it means i freely give , it means if some one smites me on the cheek i turn and offer the other , it means if someone wants to sue you for your tunic offer him your cloak as well, if someone forces you to go a mile , go 2 , do you get the drift. These are the higher thoughts and ways of our God.

The scriptures tell us that we should love mercy , do justly and walk humbly , did you see that we should love mercy, if only the orthodox christian could just get a glimpse of what that means he would count all that he's believed up to now as dung.
Beautiful, pcamps. I tried to rep you, but I'm in rep jail.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Let me tell you .

Using scripture is now a cop out? Wow, that's the first I've ever heard that one. If God says that His ways and thoughts aren't ours, I'll listen to Him.

He is merciful! He forgives sins every day. He is merciful because He gave us His Holy Word so that we can learn about Him and He's merciful by sending His Son to die so that we may have eternal life. He doesn't contradict His Word and His Word is very clear on what happens to those who reject Him. What you just called "dung" is scripture. It's sharper than double edge sword. By rejecting scripture you are rejecting God.

If you want to discuss this, make another thread. We are completely off topic.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:26 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:

If you want to discuss this, make another thread. We are completely off topic.
Cantwait2leave

I will make a thread on Isaiah 55 for anyone wanting to discuss how Gods ways are higher than our ways

Old 06-08-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Cantwait2leave

I will make a thread on Isaiah 55 for anyone wanting to discuss how Gods ways are higher than our ways
Sounds good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity