Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:39 PM

723 posts, read 1,046,375 times

Advertisements

There is something I have been thinking about lately!! It involves the bible and mistranslation. The problem I have is that many say that this "word" was mistranslated, or that "word" was mistranslated. Of course whatever was mistranslated was the words that disagree or disprove their own beliefs. While everything that says what they want it to say is the "DIVINE" word of God!! I am sorry people but it you cannot have it both ways. The book was either completely mistranslated or completely divine. Of course, I do not mean every word being mistranslated when I say completely. But one must remember that when one word is translated wrong, then preceding, and following words and verses also must be wrong or the story would not make sense!! If someone could, please indulge me!! For I totally do not understand this concept of only certain words being mistranslated and the rest being divine. Again, God wrote His book either you believe that or not!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 12:53 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Yes, the Bible is the inspired Word of God. Inspired. The thing is Almost2l8, there ARE some words that have been mistranslated and it is those words that have completely changed my heart and mind about Universal Reconciliation. This is a BIG deal. Mistranslated words ARE a huge deal. It completely changes the meanings of "hell" and "eternal". My advice is to look into these mistranslated words like I have and come to your own conclusion. I bet you'll see things differently.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:05 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Here is a very, very, simple, "benign" mistranslation, or perhaps you can just call it an error. Look:

NIV Matt 23:34 You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.
KJV Matt 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

So what is it that was said here? Straining out a gnat brings a completely different meaning than straining at a gnat. Straining at a gnat doesn't even make sense. The idea behind this verse is that the pharisees were being very picky on small things, while ignoring larger matters. (ie. like straining a bug out of their wine, while ignoring the camel they were swallowing).

Now this is a very subtle error that has been in the KJV for hundreds of years, and still has not been corrected (although the NKJV has corrected it). This should put to rest the idea that any English translation we have is completely innerant, or that mistranslations cannot have happened. 99% of the time the English translations we have are OK, but we need to be aware that sometimes we need to investigate the original Greek or Hebrew.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:11 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Had these two verses been properly translated they would not contradict each other:

Eph 3:21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

Here are the same two verses properly translated without contradictions:

Mat 24:3 Now at His sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what is the sign of Thy presence and of the conclusion of the eon?

Eph 3:21 to Him be the glory in the ecclesia and in Christ Jesus for all the generations of the eon of the eons! Amen!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:11 PM

Now given that errors and mistranslations can and do occur, what do we do when get to a more weighty subject like the idea of "eternal hell"? This is certainly more important than straining "at" or "out" a gnat.

These are different versions of English Bible translations.
KJV: contains the word "hell" 54 times.
NKJV: contains the word "hell" 35 times.
NIV: contains the word "hell" 14 times.
YLT: contains the word "hell" 0 times.
CLT: contains the word "hell" 0 times.

Why is there such disparity in how this word "hell" is translated? Did God inspire the KJV to talk about "hell" more than the other bibles? Which one is God's word on the matter of "hell"? Why is the word "hell" not in some bibles? Do you see a problem here?

Old 05-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Had these two verses been properly translated they would not contradict each other:

Eph 3:21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

Here are the same two verses properly translated without contradictions:

Mat 24:3 Now at His sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what is the sign of Thy presence and of the conclusion of the eon?

Eph 3:21 to Him be the glory in the ecclesia and in Christ Jesus for all the generations of the eon of the eons! Amen!
Yes. Mistranslations lead to verses having a forced meaning, sometimes rendering the verse to be complete nonsense:

KJV Jonah 2:6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.

Was Jonah really barred "forever"? Wasn't he just in the fish for 3 days?

YLT gives a more sane reading:
Jonah 2:6 To the cuttings of mountains I have come down, The earth, her bars [are] behind me to the age. And Thou bringest up from the pit my life, O Jehovah my God.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:24 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I believe the books of the bible were written by good men. inspired men, men who believed in the creator and men who were learned enough to also write down the ancient stories told generation after generation by other inspired people about the ONE creator, not the many different Gods people were worshipping and sacrificing to..

In my own opinion (which of course I do not feel any obligation to force on anyone), the bible as it has been translated over and over again is mans word, inspired men, but mans words...

Gods word is written in our hearts..And no, I do not pick and choose what to believe about the scriptures..I leave that to the Holy Spirit everytime I open the bible I ask for His guidance and His interpretations of the inspirational writings of man..

Old 05-12-2010, 01:27 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
There is something I have been thinking about lately!! It involves the bible and mistranslation. The problem I have is that many say that this "word" was mistranslated, or that "word" was mistranslated. Of course whatever was mistranslated was the words that disagree or disprove their own beliefs. While everything that says what they want it to say is the "DIVINE" word of God!! I am sorry people but it you cannot have it both ways. The book was either completely mistranslated or completely divine. Of course, I do not mean every word being mistranslated when I say completely. But one must remember that when one word is translated wrong, then preceding, and following words and verses also must be wrong or the story would not make sense!! If someone could, please indulge me!! For I totally do not understand this concept of only certain words being mistranslated and the rest being divine. Again, God wrote His book either you believe that or not!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

I disagree with significant mistranslation issues, even though I argued from that point of view for a while to see if it had any merit.

It doesn't, all issues are issues of intepretation and context.

Aionios is the primary one to talk about.

It pertains to the age in an absolute sense and is everlasting in the abstract sense (how we can percieve time).

For instance, the phrase "That stop light took forever" We all know that we are not talking absolutely forever, but how we perceived time at the moment. While enduring the horribly long stop light, you could not absolutely know when it was going to change.

When your favorite show only last 30 mins you want more, it went by very quickly. Try holding a heavy book in your hand and stretch out your arm at a right angle from your body for 30 mins.

This is why it is still important to teach good behavior and righteousness.

I certainly do not rely on arguments such as mistraslation, they are not necessary at all.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:30 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yes, the Bible is the inspired Word of God. Inspired. The thing is Almost2l8, there ARE some words that have been mistranslated and it is those words that have completely changed my heart and mind about Universal Reconciliation. This is a BIG deal. Mistranslated words ARE a huge deal. It completely changes the meanings of "hell" and "eternal". My advice is to look into these mistranslated words like I have and come to your own conclusion. I bet you'll see things differently.
Wait Ilene, did you change from a non UR to a universalist when I was not looking?

Old 05-12-2010, 01:32 PM

723 posts, read 1,046,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Now given that errors and mistranslations can and do occur, what do we do when get to a more weighty subject like the idea of "eternal hell"? This is certainly more important than straining "at" or "out" a gnat.

These are different versions of English Bible translations.
KJV: contains the word "hell" 54 times.
NKJV: contains the word "hell" 35 times.
NIV: contains the word "hell" 14 times.
YLT: contains the word "hell" 0 times.
CLT: contains the word "hell" 0 times.

Why is there such disparity in how this word "hell" is translated? Did God inspire the KJV to talk about "hell" more than the other bibles? Which one is God's word on the matter of "hell"? Why is the word "hell" not in some bibles? Do you see a problem here?
Yes, I do see a problem!! And it's not called mistranslation. It's called misinterperatation.

And Ilene, I have looked into mistranslations, and what do I see?? Man messing with the WORD OF GOD!!!
NOT GOOD!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity