Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 12:15 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

So great all of you Reading Rd corridors enjoyed growing up there. Bet please inform us where it fits in the current Cincinnati existence? I am often criticized for moving to Mason. But much rather be here than anywhere I can think of on Reading Rd, unless it is the portion in downtown Mason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 06:48 AM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
So great all of you Reading Rd corridors enjoyed growing up there. Bet please inform us where it fits in the current Cincinnati existence? I am often criticized for moving to Mason. But much rather be here than anywhere I can think of on Reading Rd, unless it is the portion in downtown Mason.
Says the man who started a thread on the military in the Cincinnati forum. I thought that you promised to not post for the sake of increasing your post count

Old 04-14-2015, 08:42 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Says the man who started a thread on the military in the Cincinnati forum. I thought that you promised to not post for the sake of increasing your post count
This is not a new post, but simply tacking onto a VERY old thread about RR. Since so many have done the same, have no reflections at all other than how does it keep going on and on with no stated objective. I am a very short distance from RR in Mason. Yes, it is still called RR in downtown Mason. I am old enough to have spent some very good times on RR, but most of them have slipped into the realm of nostalgia.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:13 AM

410 posts, read 586,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Since the title of the thread is "Mid-century Reading Road" it's obvious to most of us that it's about people's memories of the area. I grew up in Pleasant Ridge and spent quite a bit of time going to Swifton with my Grandparents in the 1970's. It wasn't Saturday morning without a trip to Hancock Fabric.
Heck, I learned to drive a stick shift in that parking lot!

Old 04-14-2015, 01:17 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
What's stayed interesting to me is to see how many more collective memories were formed along Reading Rd than was the case with many other thoroughfares in Cincinnati. This thread inspired spin-offs involving Vine St & Montgomery Rd which drew contributors but sputtered out long before the original.
(It also demonstrates that the participants in this forum are disproportionately from the east side, and perhaps also happen to be Jewish by a larger percentage than is the case in the population at large. How else to explain why no one ever launched a thread about Harrison Ave, Colerain, or Glenway?)

Just think, fifty years from now there could be a thread about "2000 to 2020 along Upper Vine St." Today's hipsters would be tugging on their now-white beards, adjusting their geek glasses - now with prescription lenses, and contemplating their long-faded tattoos before waxing nostalgic about "that fake Japanese place - what was it called?" and so on. And there'll be a present-day adolescent on the way to becoming a kjbrill who will carp about the existence of the thread, as well as a peer destined to be the next goyguy who will keep things real. Nothing really changes, after all.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,556 times
I'm getting to this thread several years late. Don't know if anyone is left to read it. I grew up on lennox lane in early to mid sixties. I rode my bike to north Avondale elementary every day, swam at Clinton springs swim club, pitched for the north Avondale Bearcats and probably played with or against many on this thread. I walked to reading road when I was 8 and took the bus to swifton by myself. I would see my dentist, a kind man with a bow tie named Dr. Frankel. He give me nitrous oxide instead of novacaine and I guess that was my first buzz! I shopped with my parents charge account at Mark's drugs, bought mad magazine every month and hundreds of dollars worth of baseball cards, which would be worth millions now had my mom not thrown them out. We ate at Loretta's a lot, I still make her version of an open faced club sandwich with rye, Swiss, meat and Russian dressing. My grandfather would pick me up in his new Lincoln and take me to the little restaurant in front of schullers, or the wishing well. Capri pizza is still the best I ever had, I played putt putt and raced slot cars further up reading road. Berconis was the second best pizza I ever ate and mr Cohen was a really nice guy. In 1969 my family went to Macintoshes to eat, it was too crowded so went to Perkins on reading rd. We were under our tables and the lights went off and I went to the window and saw big signs flying down the street. Later we saw Macintoshes was gone. My understanding was the four deaths from the twister were at the apartment building in Arlington heights. I learned to play golf at Avon fields, which before they changed the layout was also the best sled riding in the city. There's lots more but that's all for now

Old 04-15-2015, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,556 times
Earlier post mentioned Franklin Realty. My father worked with them for awhile, before going into the savings and loan business. He stayed in touch with all the principals throughout his life.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,257 times
Default thanks

My family always went to PeeWee Valley, never could find people that remember it, i enjoyed the trip up Reading Road,

Old 04-16-2015, 11:17 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
I did! I did! I went to Peewee Valley!
But I think the Brownie-camera photos have all disintegrated.

SO COOL to have new participants join this thread. MOST OF US enjoy grabbing a few minutes out of our days for a kick of nostalgia.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:31 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I did! I did! I went to Peewee Valley!
But I think the Brownie-camera photos have all disintegrated.

SO COOL to have new participants join this thread. MOST OF US enjoy grabbing a few minutes out of our days for a kick of nostalgia.
Me too. Also great to have new posters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati