Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
We had the same problems...As well as switching stations and just getting a black screen!

Called TW and was told to unplug cable box, wait 30 seconds and plug it in again. The system reboots and problems went away. (Also told to do this every month or so.)
A good suggestion for people who haven't tried it, and one that apparently WILL deal with some minor problems. Ours was, I think, a signal strength issue and rebooting didn't make any difference at all. Incidentally, except for a few episodes lasting a minute or two, our reception remains greatly improved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 04:17 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
I share this exact same sentiment, especially after receiving my latest bill showing a balance of $102.50. I certainly feel like I'm being raped by paying over 100 dollars a month for basic cable and internet when there are literally only like 4 channels I watch on a regular basis.

I remember vividly when I first moved here about four years ago and got cable, my cell phone and cable bills would usually be within five dollars of eachother. Now my cable bill exceeds my phone by about thrity dollars a month.

I'm seriously thinking once the January arrives, I'm giving up cable "cold-turkey" and just keeping the internet since I need that for school.
I don't think this has been posted on this thread--and you'd have to call TWC to confirm it--but I think cable providers are required by law to offer a relatively inexpensive package consisting mostly of the local stations plus a few others. They don't let you know about its availability unless you ask. Just a possible option for people who it's appropriate for.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:18 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I don't think this has been posted on this thread--and you'd have to call TWC to confirm it--but I think cable providers are required by law to offer a relatively inexpensive package consisting mostly of the local stations plus a few others. They don't let you know about its availability unless you ask. Just a possible option for people who it's appropriate for.
They do offer the basic 5/9/12 package, and I think it's less than $20 per month. But even with that, I'm not sure what the advantage is over just putting up the ol' rabbit ears again...or maybe just reading a book.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:25 AM

364 posts, read 716,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
They have it, and I had it for about a month, but it was almost like not having cable at all. If I recall correctly, it didn't even have ESPN, NBC or ABC; three of the few channels I watch regularly. You would think even the lowest echelon of cable service would have those channels, so essentially, I was "forced" to purchase the next level up of service, which is substanitally more expensive.

TWC knows exactly what they are doing, and it seems to work pretty well for them. They offer some crappy channels that hardly anyone would watch, which is the equivalent of listening to AM radio, just to say that they're offering basic cable. I will probably give up cable pretty soon altogether soon though, especially since I'm not home a lot anyway.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:26 AM

364 posts, read 716,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
They do offer the basic 5/9/12 package, and I think it's less than $20 per month. But even with that, I'm not sure what the advantage is over just putting up the ol' rabbit ears again...or maybe just reading a book.
This certainly sums up my experience with it!

Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
This certainly sums up my experience with it!
Don't forget broadcast TV is now digital. If you use an antenna your TV must either be equipped with a DTV connection or you will need a convertor box to use the older analog connection. Cable TV has already done the conversion.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:17 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Called TW and was told to unplug cable box, wait 30 seconds and plug it in again. The system reboots and problems went away. (Also told to do this every month or so.)
Of course it works, but why should we have to do this? We're paying big bucks for the cable box -- it should work, dammit!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:53 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,378,166 times
I have had TW since it's first been in Cincinnati (1983) have had no problems with any thing.....

Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I don't know what they are doing in Cincinnati, but Cincinnati Bell installed their FIOPTICS service here in Mason a few months back. As they finished individual neighborhoods their sales staff was Johnny on the spot pitching to sign people up. I decided to go with them and their version of VOIP phone when I found out the phone portion has a battery backup so it still functions during a power outage. Dropped my combined bill considerably for TV (2 HD convertor boxes), high-speed internet and home phone unlimited US long distance. So far it has performed with no problem. Of course Time Warner came back with a reduced offering of their own but by then I had made up my mind to switch. I saw the Cincinnati Bell installation crews all over the neighborhood and I estimate TW lost 50% of their business immediately. Of course out here in Mason TW had been robbing us for years since they first installed. Cable TV alone with nothing fancy was over $100/month. Of course prior to them a high-gain antenna with a rotary alignment motor and you were still watching snow most of the time.

The FIOPTICS service is true fiber optics all the way into the house where it is connected to a control panel Bell provides. The internet is converted to Ethernet, the TV to the standard coaxial connection to the set top convertor boxes and the phone to the standard low voltage phone connected to the existing house wiring. The TV used the existing coaxial cable in the house but apparently with a stronger signal since they stripped out the power boosters TW had installed. They ran a new Ethernet cable from the basement to the 2nd floor room where we have our computers. I had the option to go wireless but decided against it since I wanted to use my existing router which connects our His and Her computers, printer, etc. together. Bell provided a router which I immediately replaced with my own as I know it is higher quality and has software to manage it from the PC. My router has wireless capability but it is only used when the kids come to visit and want to surf the internet and email from the downstairs family room.

Shortly after I installed Bell's service our one TV began to act up. It would suddenly just lose connection. When I rebooted the convertor box it took forever. Then it was erratic, would not respond to channel changes, and such. The wife immediately wanted me to scream to Cincinnati Bell for service. Being the engineer I am, I first wanted to confirm it was their problem. Since I had two identical convertor boxes I decided to switch them. The problem stayed with the one TV. I had both of them connected with HDMI interface cables. I switched the HDMI cables, the problem stayed with the one TV. So I decided to switch to an alternate interface type supported by the cable box. Problem solved, convertor booted immediately and responded to all of the remote controls. Apparently the HDMI interface on my TV decided to go kaput. I know better than to try and get it repaired as there is practically no TV service places in existence and the so-called home outfits charge a fortune. The TV has at least 6 more alternate interfaces and I figure one of them will work as long as I have the TV or something else goes wrong.

I mention this just to state the problem may be with your TV which is interfering with the cable box. During the years I had TW we would run into problems with the performance. Since I always had two or more TVs connected I could use the same swap and check technique. The wife always wanted it fixed now. If I suspected or confirmed the cable convertor box I would drive down to their store in Tri-County and swap it. Same thing for the internet modem, I would replace it more frequently than the TV boxes. They were always quite cordial when I said I wanted a new TV convertor or internet modem. They should have been, I was doing it at my trouble and expense.

It will be interesting to see what happens here in Mason. Our local telephone co. is actually operated by Sprint which acquired United Telephone of Ohio years ago. You want to talk about getting raped for home phone service, they are the pros. Several years ago Cincinnati Bell obtained the right to offer home phone service in Mason. Of course nothing really changed, the poles and wires were still the same. I switched to Cincinnati Bell at that time because they cut my phone bill in half. But what a hassle, if I actually needed service for something like the feed to the house went dead, I had to contact their service in Dayton. I would tell them, look I am smart enough to connect an analog phone to the incoming box connection on the outside of the house. There is no signal. Please come and determine why.

So TW is not the only one to be upset with. If I do have a problem with Cincinnati Bell's FIOPTICS and they direct me to contact Dayton I will blow a gasket.
I see from your post that you say Cin Bell has installed FiOptics in Mason. I have been unable to get clarity on this from their website. How long ago did they install in Mason? I am totally frustrated with TWC and am looking for real alternatives for high speed internet etc.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourge View Post
I see from your post that you say Cin Bell has installed FiOptics in Mason. I have been unable to get clarity on this from their website. How long ago did they install in Mason? I am totally frustrated with TWC and am looking for real alternatives for high speed internet etc.
I have had my service for more than a year. But my brother who lives less than 1/2 mile from me still does not have Fioptics. I believe the reason is his neighborhood is underground utilities. It may be more difficult and expensive to install the fiber service underground, as they still also have to get it into the house.. Everywhere I know it is installed is older neighborhoods with above ground wiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati