Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 03:43 PM

18 posts, read 26,198 times

Advertisements

Hello, arriving in Cincinnati airport but need to pick up rental car from Dayton. What is the best and cheapest way to go about getting to Dayton airport? I tried looking up shuttle companies and came up with nothing, and a private taxi is not worth it. Any ideas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 04:13 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,826,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummtimo View Post
Hello, arriving in Cincinnati airport but need to pick up rental car from Dayton. What is the best and cheapest way to go about getting to Dayton airport? I tried looking up shuttle companies and came up with nothing, and a private taxi is not worth it. Any ideas? Thanks
Contact the rental car company and inquire if you can switch to a pickup in Cincinnati. Best overall compromise. If they give you a bunch of crap, call Enterprise.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:36 PM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
That's an 80-mile trip. Rent a car in Cincinnati.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:20 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,170,287 times
If you are really ambitious and have a lot of time on your hands, it might be possible to get there by bus.

You would have to use TANK to get to downtown Cincinnati, then go to the Greyhound Bus station and take that to Dayton (Trotwood Station). The Greyhound Bus station is at the RTA Northwest Hub, which should enable you to use Rt. 34 to Rt. 43 to get to the airport. But I was not able to find a Greyhound bus from Dayton to Cincy or vice versa.

It should also be possible to get most of the way by bus using regional transit. TANK will get you to downtown Cincy from the airport, SORTA will get you to Fairfield Plaza from downtown, and BCRTA will get you to Middletown from Fairfield Plaza. You will need a taxi from Towne Mall (Middletown) to Austin Pike (about 10 miles), which will get you in the Dayton RTA system and all the way to the airport.

Delta used to run flights between Cincy and Dayton too. Not sure how much they cost though.

Still, all of these options are miserable. I agree 100% with Ohiogirl81 and Kjbrill. Rent a car or go with a new company. This is ridiculous.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:49 AM

18 posts, read 26,198 times
I am sorry I was not clearer, I have the option of picking up in Cincinnati but it is almost $300 more for the same rental period, so I thought If I could find a cheap way to get to Dayton and pick up the car from there then it would be best. Seems like its not worth it really...Thanks a lot for your input anyway

Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I am sorry I was not clearer, I have the option of picking up in Cincinnati but it is almost $300 more for the same rental period, so I thought If I could find a cheap way to get to Dayton and pick up the car from there then it would be best. Seems like its not worth it really...Thanks a lot for your input anyway
Don't know who the car rental outfit you have contacted is, but contact Enterprise. I have used them several times and was very satisfied. I know they have an outlet at CVG and also DAY airports. Can't believe they would charge you a $300 premium for a return other than the pickup.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:33 AM

16,399 posts, read 30,321,072 times
Quote:
Why not pick up a car at any of the Hertz local edition places which are significantly LESS than the airport locations?

Or take the TANK bus into DT Cincinnati where there are a number of rental car counters around town. in MOST cases, you can return the car to the airport for no additional charge - except for Enterprise, which is the worst of the worst.

Your current plan is absolutely crazy and a waste of time.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:18 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,911,530 times
There are places to rent cars other than airports. Airports usually charge a premium.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:06 AM

The problem is if you are at the airport how do you propose getting to a local rental car outlet - hoof it? By the time you pay a cab fare what are you saving? Cabs at airports also charge premiums.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,911,530 times
Take the bus into town, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati