Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 13,192 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I may be moving from Chicagoland for work and one of the cities I might be placed near is Cincinnati. While I understand there is crime regardless of where I go, I've noticed that Cincinnati's crime rate is three times the national average, which concerns me. Is this mostly confined to different parts of the city or is it prevalent throughout?

Also, I read that Over the Rhine has been getting some renovations and is a good place to live for young professionals. I'm 23 and I'd like to live in a pretty safe neighborhood with a lot to do. I understand regardless I'm going to have to lock my car whenever, but I'd like to live somewhere that I feel safe walking around at night. Is this a good neighborhood, if not could you please suggest some nice places to live for someone my age.

Thanks!
Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 04:47 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,881 times
Over the Rhine is a great place if you are a young single person. Stay below 13th street. Downtown is great as well. Mt. Adams Most people on this message board are afraid of their own shadows.

The reasons that Cincinnati has a higher crime rate than other places is because the city proper is only 332k in a metro area of 2.1 million. Places like Indianapolis have lower seeming crime rates because they have hundreds of thousands of suburban residents living within city limits, Cincinnati doesn't have that. Numbers are a shell game. If you don't do drugs, you will be fine.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:31 PM

24 posts, read 108,946 times
It really depends where in Over the Rhine you live as to the level of safety (east is much better than west). The neighborhood does seem to be improving and a lot of single people do seem to be buying there. I think the upward trend will continue.

However, be warned that Over the Rhine is VERY far from "a pretty safe neighborhood". There are still a lot of problems. DO NOT walk around by yourself, especially after dark. You will regret it. Large parts of Over the Rhine are still very gritty and very urban. Since you're from Chicago, I'm not sure what you're used to.

Really, what you should do is come to town and check out the area before making any commitments.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:18 AM

526 posts, read 1,481,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
Over the Rhine is a great place if you are a young single person. Stay below 13th street.
WHAT??? Over the Rhine is a TERRIBLE place for anyone. It is extrememly dangerous. Please don't tell someone from out of town to even go there let alone LIVE there!

Go to the blog post by snostormxu in the Buena Vista thread. There is a link to a very interesting site showing the number of crimes, arrests, etc by location. Check it out

Old 01-12-2008, 04:50 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
Over the Rhine is very similar in feel to Chicago's south side. If you would feel comfortable living there, you would probably feel comfortable living in OTR

Old 01-12-2008, 06:09 AM

19 posts, read 74,119 times
Default Over the Rhine, a mixed Bag

I have been working in Over the Rhine for 20 years and agree that crime is still an issue, but unless you are buying or selling drugs, your risk of harm is minimal. Before we installed a security fence (12 years ago), there were frequent car break-ins, but no assaults. Josh from Chicago, I would say live south of 13th only for quicker access to restaurants and downtown amenities. They are developing condos in OTR at a good pace, but it will be a few years before there is a mass of people to support the many bars, boutiques and bistros which are desired to serve the urban professionals who are moving in.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 27,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkfan View Post
I have been working in Over the Rhine for 20 years and agree that crime is still an issue, but unless you are buying or selling drugs, your risk of harm is minimal.
Can you tell me anything about the crime rate and problems in the Golf Manor/Roselawn area? We're looking at moving there next year.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:27 PM

49 posts, read 219,072 times
if you're a young professional - downtown is great - south of Central Parkway is a good general rule, the further south the better. also consider hyde park, oakley, mt. lookout, mt. adams, cifton (esp gaslight district), east walnut hills and eden park. stay away from otr for now - it's still 10 -20 years away, unfortunately.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:20 AM

3 posts, read 20,815 times
Default Also interested in Roselawn

My fiance and I just found an incredible home, perfect for what we're looking for in roselawn.

I did not feel threatened or as if i were in a dangerous place at all when we toured the home. The homes were clean, yards well kept, streets freshly paved and well maintained and a lot of pricey cars in driveways. All signs of a good safe place.

But when i looked up crime states from the past 3 years I am now reconsidering the house purchase. They average about 3 murders a year in what seems a small place. Plenty of burglary and larceny to go around too.

I'm wondering if this area is larger than i thought and perhaps there is a safe side and not so safe side of town? The home is huge and everything we're trying to find, so any help from people who live there would be very much appriciated.

i can be reached on this board or at palmtreemandy@yahoo.com

THANKS!!

Old 01-13-2008, 08:32 AM

2,543 posts, read 2,863,541 times
I'd say Roselawn is in the safer half of neighborhoods in Cincinnati but compared to many of the suburbs, it's not the safest place to live. I guess the part that's closer to the city of Reading isn't as bad but as you get closer to Bond Hill it gets worse. All in all, I'd avoid Roselawn because you could probably get the same type of house in a much more stable community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati