Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best lakes
Minnesota 105 26.38%
Michigan 122 30.65%
Wisconsin 35 8.79%
Maine 5 1.26%
New York 42 10.55%
New Hampshire 4 1.01%
Washington 14 3.52%
Vermont 1 0.25%
Idaho 8 2.01%
California 21 5.28%
Florida 14 3.52%
Texas 13 3.27%
Ohio 8 2.01%
Arizona 3 0.75%
Nevada 3 0.75%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:28 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
well maybe you sould call up the army corps of engineers or NOAA to complain, or brush up on your geography because the Stait of Mackinaw is 8 miles wide which connects 2 "lakes" with the same water levels and are hydrologicly inseaprable so therefore one lake so whos right

(Hint the correct answer in me)
I find it difficult to go along with someone who can't respond to a post correctly, use sound logic, or spell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I find it difficult to go along with someone who can't respond to a post correctly, use sound logic, or spell.
well go tell that to NOAA or The US army corps of Engineers.
Also unless your stupid you would realize i was speaking to byrdad because we have been in this argument for about 3 days now. in wich he just completly igmores facts.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
well maybe you sould call up the army corps of engineers or NOAA to complain, or brush up on your geography because the Stait of Mackinaw is 8 miles wide which connects 2 "lakes" with the same water levels and are hydrologicly inseaprable so therefore one lake so whos right

(Hint the correct answer in me)
Maybe you should brush up a bit. The straits are 5 miles wide and there IS a water flow through them.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
^ why do Michiganers think they touch 4 great lakes, they touch three as i prevously stated
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
because you missed Lake Erie. Southeastern Michigan borders it. If you don't think so then google.map Monroe, MI on the shores of Lake Erie. That and Lakes Michigan, Huron, and Superior adds up to to 4 Great Lakes.
Quote:
But the bolded lakes are the same as i pointed out eariler as they are attached and have the same water levels, and fall and rise in sync.
Calling Lake Huron and Michigan conjoined as one lake makes as much sense as calling the Mediterranean Sea (and the Black Sea for that matter) the Atlantic Ocean. Michigan borders 4 Great lakes. Everybody knows that, sans the petty exception even though the Straits of Mackinac were named as a clear cut divider between the two lakes. Ask a resident in Ontario, Canada on the shores of Georgian Bay which Great Lake they live on. If Lake Michigan got thrown into the mix they would laugh their heads off. In the US there is no denying Michigan has the Lion’s share of Great Lakes shoreline. The point you are trying to make is just beyond arbitrary.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-19-2011 at 09:47 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Calling Lake Huron and Michigan conjoined as one lake makes as much sense as calling the Mediterrenean Sea (and the Black Sea for that matter) the Atlantic Ocean. Michigan borders 4 Great lakes. Everybody knows that, sans the petty exception even though the Straights of Mackinac were named as a clear cut divider between the two lakes. In the US there is no denying Michigan has the Lions share of Great Lakes shoreline.
The Mediterrenean sea is part of the Atlantic Ocean, and calling the strait of Mackinac by definition means that there is no flow, so they are the same, lake michigan and huron are one lake, look it up.
By the way i voted for michigan for best lakes.
also your point that most people think that most people think that lake michigan and huron are differant lakes, however at one point in time most people thought the world was flat, and thats totally wrong.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:48 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
The Mediterrenean sea is part of the Atlantic Ocean, and calling the strait of Mackinac by definition means that there is no flow, so they are the same, lake michigan and huron are one lake, look it up.
Again, arbitrary. Israel is not bordering the Atlantic by genuine definition, neither does Greece. There are 5 Great Lakes. Michigan borders 4 of them.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
If you randomly ask one hundred adults if Lake Michigan and Lake Huron are one or two lakes, I expect you'll get ~ 97-99 responses saying they are two separate lakes. Seems like the board is trending that way as well. Even if you say it's one lake, the lake surrounding Michigan's lower peninsula is massive (it would be a BigLake, hardee har). But no, for all practical purposes, and to the lay person (makeup of this board), they're two separate and distinct lakes.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:40 AM

221 posts, read 484,457 times
Quote:
Again, arbitrary. Israel is not bordering the Atlantic by genuine definition, neither does Greece. There are 5 Great Lakes. Michigan borders 4 of them.

Correct!

I don't even know why we're arguing about this. This has got be one of the strangest debates I've seen on C-D. I mean, come on now!!! Someone needs to get their geography straight!!! There are 5 Great Lakes: Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, Lake Superior, Lake Erie, and Lake Ontario, and Michigan borders 4 of them. Lake Michigan and Lake Huron are separate lakes, connected by the Mackinac straits (as noted above). I know I'm repeating what has already been said, but I'm very very irritated by this whole debate (which was started by one member who obviously does not know his geography, and is probably using this absurb claim as a slight against Michigan).

Also, let's get something straight (or strait, ). Minnesota does not have 15,000 lakes, as someone claim. Minnesota has a total of 11,842 lakes (10 acres and above). Michigan has 11,037 inland lakes. That's not a hugh difference (OK, a difference of around 800,000, which is still not a hugh difference, considering that both are between 11,000 and 12,000). So, Minnesota doesn't blow Michigan away in the lake count. Minnesta has a piece of the lake Superior shore, but Michigan is made up of TWO Penninsulas that are surrounded by 4 Great Lakes (and smaller lakes and straits that connect the Great Lakes). How could you not vote for Michigan...unless you're a jealous Minnesotan with an inferiority complex!!!

Last edited by JmanAA; 07-19-2011 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
So you're saying borders don't matter? Wow, someone should tell Palestine, they'll be thrilled.
No Israel boarders the atlantic cause the Mederiteranean is the atlantic, also popular opinion doesnt matter, at one point most people thought that the americas didnt exist or the world was flat.
I have all the facts, "lake" Michigan and Huron are attached and have the same exact water levels so are one lake. they are 1 lake.
I have NOAA and Us army corps of engineers behind me so im right.
BTW i am not hating in Michigan, i voted for michigan.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:10 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
But there is a border between them, so no, actually, you're wrong, they are two lakes. I suppose you also think Europe and Asia are one continent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City