Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New England Coast vs Pacific Northwest Coast
New England Coast (Maine/NH/Mass/RI/Conn) 48 42.48%
Pacific Northwest Coast (Oregon/WA/BC Canada) 65 57.52%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 05:49 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times

Advertisements

Two northern coastlines, water is a bit chilly though moreso in the Northwest, both scenic, both somewhat comparable yet very different. Which coastline do you prefer? The sandy shores of Cape Cod and rocky coast of Maine, OR the sea cliffs of the Oregon Coast and the inland seas of Puget Sound?

- Most scenic coast
- Recreation
- Best coastal towns and cities
- Best seafood
and anything else you can think of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 06:41 PM

249 posts, read 443,546 times
Cape Cod by a nose.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:58 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
lol

Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Oregon coast is beutiful. Newport is a great city with in excellant waterfront. Much of it is untouched and tempertures are moderate year around. Im suprised the a major city wasnt settled on the oregon coast back in the late 19th century. Canon beach is gorgeous and the washing coast is nice. Victoria is also great (if that counts as part of the pnw coast).

Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM

669 posts, read 915,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Two northern coastlines, water is a bit chilly though moreso in the Northwest
Southern California water is almost as cold as Maine in the summer so that kind of gives you an idea how cold the west coast really is. As far as tolerable water temperature goes New England wins pretty easily.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,662 times
Most scenic coast - northeast
Recreation - about the same
Best coastal towns and cities - northeast a ton of beautiful, down-to-earth, living off the sea, fishing towns.
Best seafood - about the same. Very slight edge to northeast.

Overall the northeast in my opinion.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:00 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Two northern coastlines, water is a bit chilly though moreso in the Northwest, both scenic, both somewhat comparable yet very different. Which coastline do you prefer? The sandy shores of Cape Cod and rocky coast of Maine, OR the sea cliffs of the Oregon Coast and the inland seas of Puget Sound?

- Most scenic coast
- Recreation
- Best seafood
If we're including the areas of Puget Sound including Hood Canal and the San Juan Islands than I might actually go for the Northwest by a nose. If it was just the Oregon and Washington Coast vs. New England coast I might go for New England.

-Most Scenic Coast - The better parts of Oregon Coast alone could make this one in terms of scenery. Between that and the Olympic Peninsula it's already a pretty spectacular mix--the islands of the San Juans with the Olympic and Cascade mountains in the background seal the deal. The Maine coast is amazing though--but altogether I'll take the Northwest.

-Recreation - Well the Northwest is good for surfing and kayaking and fishing-- a lot of people go to beach and never do more than hang out on the beach or go for a hike. New England has much warmer summer water for actual swimming. Though Puget Sound has slightly warmer water than out on the actual Washington coast--and it's one of the best places in the US to go kayaking among the islands or boating. Sort of a draw on that one.

-Best Coastal Towns and Cities - New England has a better range of true old historic coastal towns. There are places like Port Townsend and Astoria in the Northwest, but they don't compare to a lot of the picturesque fishing villages and old ports in New England. I wish there was a place like Portland, Maine on the actual coast of Oregon or Washington or even on the Olympic Peninsula. If you include cities like Boston or Seattle as coastal cites this becomes a whole different ballgame however...

Best Seafood - Probably New England, though Puget Sound has some excellent oysters and the area has great cheap salmon as well. The Oregon Coast has never struck me that great for seafood unless you know where to go--Puget Sound is way better. But it's tough to top Maine lobsters... I like New England oysters too--they've got a real distinct taste.

All in all, the two areas compare pretty good... Didn't even get into British Columbia though and that's got a whole word of awesomeness on it's own...

Old 06-20-2013, 10:34 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:

- Most scenic coast
- Recreation
- Best seafood
Definitely New England. It's beautiful, and Cape Cod can actually have pretty warm water - up to 75. I think it has something to do with currents. I love the architecture along the New England coast and the style of houses and even fashion. The coast of Maine is one of the most beautiful areas I've been to, and Maine is like lighthouse country which is pretty cool. They have so many iconic lighthouses to look at and tour, and I love stuff like that. Rhode Island also has a great coastline.

Most scenic: New England
Recreation: probably pretty even, I'll say 50/50 for this one
Best coastal towns and cities: New England
Best seafood: New England. those lobsters and that clam chowder

Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 AM

177 posts, read 431,115 times
But you left out Southeast Alaska! So I voted for New England (mostly because of Maine). Acadia NP in Maine is awesome.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdublin21 View Post
But you left out Southeast Alaska! So I voted for New England (mostly because of Maine). Acadia NP in Maine is awesome.
Well I did include British Columbia! If the Pacific Northwest reaches as far as SE Alaska then I'll throw Long Island, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island in with New England just for good measure. For this poll I'd say the Northwest would be between Vancouver Island in BC and the Oregon/NorCal border. New England already has defined regional borders so that really needs no explanation.

I whole heartedly agree Acadia National Park in Maine is amazing. Fall is my favorite time to be there. Those fiery colors on Cadillac Mountain juxtaposed with the blue Atlantic is an awe inspiring sight to see.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-21-2013 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City