Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New England Coast vs Pacific Northwest Coast
New England Coast (Maine/NH/Mass/RI/Conn) 48 42.48%
Pacific Northwest Coast (Oregon/WA/BC Canada) 65 57.52%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 06:11 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, that's one element that New England does better than the coast of the NW (in general though I find the small towns of New England not just on the coast to be more pleasant than most of the US). The old coastal ports along the New England coast are interesting looking towns with a lot of charm. I haven't even had a chance to explore all of Maine, but from what I've seen the state is crawling with nice coastal towns.

In comparison a lot of the towns along the Oregon Coast or Olympic Peninsula tend to be sort of bland or even a little dumpy. Not all of them, there's nice historic towns like Port Townsend or Astoria or Cannon Beach--and there's some fairly nice villages on the San Juans and around Puget Sound. Though a lot of NW coastal towns feel fairly beat up, though it makes sense given their history as rough and tumble logging or fishing towns--or more popular locations feel overly touristy in a cheap way like Lincoln City(some of the larger places like Victoria, BC or the bigger cities though are a much different story). There's a lot of shabbier looking towns in great locations though. Oceanside, Oregon is a small village with a great location on the side of the hills above the beach.
I think the Oregon Coast could be accurately described as "West Virginia-by-the-sea".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 08:45 PM

133 posts, read 236,561 times
Well the natural beauty found in the PNW is unmatched, though it's all aesthetic. I've spent a good amount of time along the Oregon coast and just wasn't totally captivated by anything other than the visuals. I was surprised with how, err, backwards things can be there. The New England coast is just a more cozy, more convenient place to be in comparison.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:18 AM

591 posts, read 820,875 times
PNW is a gem

Old 09-22-2014, 10:13 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,100 times
I have been to every state in New England and every state in the Pacific Porthwest (I haven't been to BC though). I went to Maine this summer for the first time. In terms of natural beauty, the Pacific Northwest blows New England away, it isn't even close for me. I was underwhelmed by Acadia National Park. The view from Cadillac Mountain was beautiful but the rest I didn't find very impressive.

Recreation would be a tie in my opinion.

I think New England has better towns and small cities but I prefer Seattle to Boston.

I don't eat seafood but Maine has a huge lobster fetish which gets fairly annoying in my opinion.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:41 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Pacific Northwest has a better coastline in terms of beauty and ruggedness.

New England has a better coast line in terms of cute towns, and villages.

The main thing, is that the PNW coast is mostly barren and pretty depressed economically. None of the major cities are on the "actua ocean" Both Vancouver BC, and Seattle are situated at the southern end of the inside passage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City