Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New England Coast vs Pacific Northwest Coast
New England Coast (Maine/NH/Mass/RI/Conn) 48 42.48%
Pacific Northwest Coast (Oregon/WA/BC Canada) 65 57.52%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You're going to comfortably be in the water anywhere not tropical or not close to being tropical during the winter? Please. In some places along both coasts, you can't even be in the water comfortably in the summer.
You have a low tolerance for water temps, you are constantly talking about water temps. Its all relative. I know you can't go in the ocean in NJ in late fall winter, but you can in some places...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 10:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You have a low tolerance for water temps, you are constantly talking about water temps. Its all relative. I know you can't go in the ocean in NJ in late fall winter, but you can in some places...
Where in New England or the PNW, the areas in question?

Low tolerance? Sorry that I don't want to freeze my you know what off in temps ranging from 30-50 degrees!

Old 06-23-2013, 10:27 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Where in New England or the PNW, the areas in question?

Low tolerance? Sorry that I don't want to freeze my you know what off in temps ranging from 30-50 degrees!
Was responding to your comment about anything north of Fla and Ca to Canada

Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Was responding to your comment about anything north of Fla and Ca to Canada
That was an exaggeration, I'll admit, but especially in these 2 regions you cannot be in the water comfortably in the winter, like I said even in the summer in some places depending on location and how early in the season it is. Even if the water in the Pacific in some places is 10 degrees warmer than the Atlantic in the winter, IMO it isn't even relevant because it is still too cold for most people to want to be in in both locations.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
South Florida is not even truly tropical, but you can sure swim there in the off-season. SoCal water in October is often times still around 70F. Heck, some of the best beach days in SoCal are in October and November because of our Santa Ana winds and heat waves! And there were plenty of days in May and June this year where the weather was very warm, and the ocean, being 70F so early this year, was very swimmable and enjoyable.

There are also plenty days in early spring and late fall where you can swim in the Gulf of Mexico (South Padre Island, Grand Isle, Biloxi, Orange Beach and Panama City Beach). These places are where spring breakers come in March and April, when the ocean is 70-74F and the weather is dry, sunny and warm during the day, but cools off at night. Heck, even in the Carolinas or Georgia, or somewhere like Jacksonville Beach, FL, there are plenty of "beach weather" days in March or October where the water is also warm enough to use.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:50 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
South Florida is not even truly tropical, but you can sure swim there in the off-season. SoCal water in October is often times still around 70F. Heck, some of the best beach days in SoCal are in October and November because of our Santa Ana winds and heat waves! And there were plenty of days in May and June this year where the weather was very warm, and the ocean, being 70F so early this year, was very swimmable and enjoyable.

There are also plenty days in early spring and late fall where you can swim in the Gulf of Mexico (South Padre Island, Grand Isle, Biloxi, Orange Beach and Panama City Beach). These places are where spring breakers come in March and April, when the ocean is 70-74F and the weather is dry, sunny and warm during the day, but cools off at night. Heck, even in the Carolinas or Georgia, or somewhere like Jacksonville Beach, FL, there are plenty of "beach weather" days in March or October where the water is also warm enough to use.
anyway, back to New England and the Pacific Northwest; just saying

Old 06-24-2013, 10:22 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
You can't swim (or do any other activities minus a wet suit) in New England (or anywhere north of Florida, really) or in waters from CA to Canada in the off season (meaning not summer, early fall, or late spring), who are you kiddin?!
I am from California. The first time that I did any body-surfing was on Long Island. It was great!

Maine's primary industry is tourism; which includes our beaches.

York Beaches:
Harbor Beach,
Long Sands Beach.

Ogunquit Beaches:
Ogunquit Beach
Footbridge Beach
Moody Beach

Wells Beaches:
Drakes Island Beach
Wells Beach
Crescent Beach

Kennebunk Beaches
Mother's Beach
Gooch's Beach
Middle Beach
Colony Beach
Cleaves Cove Beach
Goose Rocks Beach

Biddeford/Saco Beaches
Biddeford Beach
Fortune's Rocks Beach
Ferry Beach State Park

Old Orchard Beach

Scarborough Beaches
Pine Point Beach
Ferry Beach
Scarborough Beach State Park
Crescent Beach State Park
Higgins Beach

Freeport

Midcoast Beaches
Popham Beach State Park
Reid State Park
Pemaquid Beach Park
Birch Point Beach State Park
Crescent Beach / Owls Head
Ash Point Beach
Laite Beach

Down East Beaches
Backshore Beach / Wadsworth Cove

Bar Harbor
Sand Beach
Lamoine Beach

I do not understand how anyone would get the impression you can not swim in New England.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I do not understand how anyone would get the impression you can not swim in New England.

Nobody said that people couldn't swim in New England, it's just the water is a lot chillier up in Maine. The water is mostly swimmable (especially if you have young blood and in later summer months) south of Portland which is where most of the beaches you listed are. I did swim once up in Bar Harbor which in August and it was very chilly, though it wasn't freezing due to it beoing a cove beach with an outgoing tide. That said the water temperature around the beaches Rhode Island and Cape Cod is much more inviting. Maine has a lot of tourism because it's capitalized on it's scenery and has the most scenic coastline in New England.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am from California. The first time that I did any body-surfing was on Long Island. It was great!

Maine's primary industry is tourism; which includes our beaches.

York Beaches:
Harbor Beach,
Long Sands Beach.

I said it's not swimmable in every other season but summer. I love Maine! I go to York quite often but I much prefer Short Sands beach - I like dry sand.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I said it's not swimmable in every other season but summer. I love Maine! I go to York quite often but I much prefer Short Sands beach - I like dry sand.
I miss those lobster rolls .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City