Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best lakes
Minnesota 105 26.38%
Michigan 122 30.65%
Wisconsin 35 8.79%
Maine 5 1.26%
New York 42 10.55%
New Hampshire 4 1.01%
Washington 14 3.52%
Vermont 1 0.25%
Idaho 8 2.01%
California 21 5.28%
Florida 14 3.52%
Texas 13 3.27%
Ohio 8 2.01%
Arizona 3 0.75%
Nevada 3 0.75%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:12 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I can think of about 100 add'l lakes (off the top of my head) in Minnesota that I could replace these lakes with
The ones in red? Don't think so. Flathead Lake > anything in Minnesota. Lake Pend Oreille, which did not make this list > anything in MN as well. Lake Chelan is probably better than anything there as well. I'd also put Lake Washington ahead of any of Minnesota's urban lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The ones in red? Don't think so. Flathead Lake > anything in Minnesota. Lake Pend Oreille, which did not make this list > anything in MN as well. Lake Chelan is probably better than anything there as well. I'd also put Lake Washington ahead of any of Minnesota's urban lakes.
No, you're just a provincial Seattle fan boy.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Well sure. How can you say that when the one Minnesota lake that made the list is so awesome:

Lake Kabetogama

I'm sure it's a great vacation spot (since that seems to be the focus of the list) - but it's certainly not anywhere near one of the most beautiful lakes I've ever seen. Talk about being a fanboy.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
The lakes around Seattle don't have any good sandy beaches, in fact most of the lakes in Washington don't. Lake Washington is nice, but not one of the greats. I'm sure Minnesota lakes are probably better for swimming. I would opt for a trip to Flathead Lake in Montana over Minnesota though. That said I'd love to see the lakes up there in Minnesota and Wisconsin nonetheless. I know Minnesota is a phenomenal lake state, though I can't pinpoint what lake or area of lakes I'd want to see there. I've heard mostly about Boundary Waters and Lake Superior, though there are several thousand more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Well sure. How can you say that when the one Minnesota lake that made the list is so awesome:
Lake Kabetogama
I'm sure it's a great vacation spot (since that seems to be the focus of the list) - but it's certainly not anywhere near one of the most beautiful lakes I've ever seen. Talk about being a fanboy.
That sure looks beautiful to me and the landscape looks different to me and I appreciate that when I travel, but some people are really provincial and hard to please.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-21-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 05:31 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post

Flathead Lake and Lake Pend Oreille are not near Seattle nor in the state of Washington. Sorry, but your pathetic attempt at slander is a bit off, chum(p).

Old 06-22-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
That sure looks beautiful to me and the landscape looks different to me and I appreciate that when I travel, but some people are really provincial and hard to please.
Gosh, sorry to be so provincial and hard to please. Did you really need to put that on the end of your sentence?

I didn't say it wasn't a nice lake - it's nice. It's certainly not a gorgeous lake, like many of the lakes that the poster to whom I was responding claimed worse than "at least 100 lakes in Minnesota". My point being, if that was the only one in the state to make the list, I doubt the 99 other are "better" than those that were being dismissed as lesser. It's nice. But certainly nothing awesome.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Gosh, sorry to be so provincial and hard to please. Did you really need to put that on the end of your sentence?

I didn't say it wasn't a nice lake - it's nice. It's certainly not a gorgeous lake, like many of the lakes that the poster to whom I was responding claimed worse than "at least 100 lakes in Minnesota". My point being, if that was the only one in the state to make the list, I doubt the 99 other are "better" than those that were being dismissed as lesser. It's nice. But certainly nothing awesome.
If nothing else, Minnesota has Great Lakes shoreline. I haven't been but I'm willing to bet the shoreline of Lake Superior is probably pretty awesome. Sorry, didn't mean to single you out. I love the Northwest and lived there for a while but there was a provincial tone in some people I knew there that was a bit pronounced and rubbed me the wrong way. Don't want to label that on you so I guess I'll retract that statement. The lakes of the Northwest, although scenic weren't really that awesome to me do to lake of sandy shores. They definitely get better in places like Northern Idaho for beaches and swimming.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 PM

A sandy beach isn't the only important attraction of a lake, though. In fact, it'd be pretty low down on my list. If I was looking for a beach (which I wouldn't be, frankly) I'd go to the ocean somewhere.

But if I'm going to swim ... it'll be in a pool. I don't really like swimming in natural waters. Guess I'm too prissy for it. lol.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:27 PM

My summers growing up were spent swimming in the ocean on the beaches of Massachusetts and the lakes of NH and Vermont. I love swimming in clear water lakes in the northern tier of the country. I actually even took a dive into Lake Crescent once out on the Olympic Peninsula (now that is a very beautiful lake). The shores were rocky and the water was cold, but nonetheless the experience was exhilarating for me. I write this in the desert heat, I have a pool here on property but I sure do miss swimming in good lakes and the ocean in the summer. Different Strokes, different folks.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-22-2013 at 11:38 PM..

Old 06-23-2013, 03:21 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times
I voted for Michigan because it hard to beat 4/5 of the Great Lakes + a lot of nice inland lakes. Minnesota comes in second in my book. Wisconsin is a close third. I have hard time seeing how anyone could pick TX. As others mentioned, it only has one natural lake in the entire state, and Caddo Lake is an alligator filled swampy area that is partially in Louisiana. The reservoirs around the state are fun, but I can't see anyone picking Texas unless the only other states they've visited are NM, OK, AR, and LA, or perhaps none at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City