Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Important?
Atlanta Area 94 48.96%
Dallas Area 24 12.50%
Houston Area 50 26.04%
Miami Area 24 12.50%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:58 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Same with Miami.
"In the South" should have been left out then. I bet the votes would be different.

But, I see Houston as being more diverse. It receives some of the most funds from Homeland Security. Plus, we all saw what happened at the pumps when Rita came nearby, and Ike two years ago. I remember CNN reporting on gas prices in Atlanta...they were close to five bucks a gallon. Speaking of CNN, they need to reinvent themselves, as they are losing ground to both Fox and MSNBC. There was an article on it recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 01:59 PM

74 posts, read 249,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
How exactly is that? DFW has almost as many Asians as Metro Houston. Houston does have more Middle Easterners and Nigerians, but DFW has more Indians and Koreans than Houston does. Not to mention DFW easily has the most diverse Asian communities of the ones in question. Even though they arent huge, DFW is home to a Lao and a Cambodian community which dont really exist in Houston. Houston's Asian community consists of large numbers of fewer groups whereas DFW's Asian community consists of smaller numbers of more groups. I agree Houston is more diverse, but its not as drastic as youre trying to make it out to be. Houston is mainly more diverse because it has a higher percentage of African-Americans and (mostly) Hispanics, its only 1% more Asian than DFW. Houston has a very diverse Hispanic community. DFW's is mostly Mexican and Salvadoran. You actually had it backward.

Anyway, how about some more up to date info:

Metro Atlanta:

Non-Hispanic White: 53.2%
Black: 31.2%
Hispanic: 9.6%
Asian: 4.2%

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

Dallas/Fort Worth:

Non-Hispanic White: 52.0%
Black: 13.8%
Hispanic: 27.5%
Asian: 4.8%

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

Metro Houston:

Non-Hispanic White: 42.4 %
Black: 16.3%
Hispanic: 34.0%
Asian: 5.8%

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

Miami/Fort Lauderdale/Palm Beach:

Non-Hispanic white: 37.8%
Black: 19.2%
Hispanic: 39.6%
Asian: 2.1%

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008
but houston have a very strong nigerian community and also a very nice chinatown, which consits of vietnameese people which dallas have very few of. houston also have (what you already had pointed out) a strong mexican and latin community influence (dallas just mexican) houston also have a tiny amount of south americans which you wont find in dallas....but i wasn't trying to make it drastic, but to let it be known that there IS a signifigant difference between the metros...and an even LARGER difference between the cities

Old 06-21-2010, 01:59 PM

492 posts, read 1,026,761 times
I guess I would say ...................... Atlanta.

But Im sitting here in Virginia wondering how any of these cities are really that important to us up here in the upper south.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:01 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah; I agree. South of Dallas and North of Dallas are completely different.
South Dallas has a lot of blacks, the only time I see white people in South Dallas is when the State Fair of Texas is open.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:04 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonboi22 View Post
but houston have a very strong nigerian community and also a very nice chinatown, which consits of vietnameese people which dallas have very few of. houston also have (what you already had pointed out) a strong mexican and latin community influence (dallas just mexican) houston also have a tiny amount of south americans which you wont find in dallas....but i wasn't trying to make it drastic, but to let it be known that there IS a signifigant difference between the metros...and an even LARGER difference between the cities
You should read through the links I posted and you would see that DFW has a HUGE Vietnamese community. Metro Houston has the 3rd largest Vietnamese community in the US and DFW has the 4th. 70,000 Vietnamese call DFW home and 80,000 call Metro Houston home. Sorry, but again, not drastic.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:04 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Outside of Energy/oil. Houston has Ports, Medicine, Manufacturing, Aerospace, and more which all play a key part in making the city successful. It's not like Houston is extremely dependent on oil, this isn't the 80s.
I think he meant that the reason your GDP is so high is due to oil, and I agree. It's a extremely profitable industry, and it shows.

Some of the areas that Atlanta excels in are simply not measurable by GDP.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:06 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
I guess I would say ...................... Atlanta.

But Im sitting here in Virginia wondering how any of these cities are really that important to us up here in the upper south.
It doesn't. DC dominates Virginia. This is why there is no capital of the South. The South is entirely to big to have THE important city. It isn't like the Midwest with Chicago, the Northeast with NYC, and the West Coast with LA shared with SF.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 PM

492 posts, read 1,026,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It doesn't. DC dominates Virginia. This is why there is no capital of the South. The South is entirely to big to have THE important city. It isn't like the Midwest with Chicago, the Northeast with NYC, and the West Coast with LA shared with SF.

Yea I agree.

Atlanta, Houston, and Miami, etc are all important in their respective regions but neither reigns supreme over the other as far as dominating the south.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually; the gulf coast region supplies resources to the VA area; however, VA has an advantage over the other southern states due to it's location near the NE which supplies them as well. The Colonial pipeline (which starts in Houston) services the majority of the East Coast.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:16 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
"In the South" should have been left out then. I bet the votes would be different.

But, I see Houston as being more diverse. It receives some of the most funds from Homeland Security. Plus, we all saw what happened at the pumps when Rita came nearby, and Ike two years ago. I remember CNN reporting on gas prices in Atlanta...they were close to five bucks a gallon. Speaking of CNN, they need to reinvent themselves, as they are losing ground to both Fox and MSNBC. There was an article on it recently.
Yet another weak attempt to minimalize something Atlanta has. Guess what, low ratings or not, CNN isn't going anywhere. Nor are all the TBS networks or the Weather Channel.

And gas was never near $5 a gallon, try slightly over $4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City