Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:15 AM

25 posts, read 50,408 times

Advertisements

Richmond is an incredible place to go to school, if you attend VCU specifically. The Fan is one of the greatest semi-urban neighborhoods you'll ever see. It can also be an interesting place to live for young people out of school, depending on what your interests are.

Raleigh is clearly growing more and has a brighter future... But I would never live there. Or Augusta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 06:29 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Its funny to see people from Savannah and Columbus gang up on Augusta, especially when you all play second fiddle to Atlanta. At least Augusta does have a major east-west interstate close by, the same cannot be said for Columbus.

Actually, every city in the south plays the 2nd fiddle to Atlanta beside Dallas, Houston, and Miami. As for Columbus not having an east to west highway, please explain how this makes Augusta that much better? I'm from GA and have visited all of these cities several times. The point im trying to make is that Columbus, Augusta, and Savannah has more in common and that's why people are fussing with Nortonguy!

Old 09-17-2010, 12:10 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Actually, every city in the south plays the 2nd fiddle to Atlanta beside Dallas, Houston, and Miami. As for Columbus not having an east to west highway, please explain how this makes Augusta that much better? I'm from GA and have visited all of these cities several times. The point im trying to make is that Columbus, Augusta, and Savannah has more in common and that's why people are fussing with Nortonguy!
That is precisely the point. You're also right about all metros in the South playing second fiddle to Atlanta. I would say the Southeast definitely, exception SoFlo, which is a different sub-region in the South.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:22 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
Richmond and Norfolk/Va Beach may not be as well known or popular as some other cities, but they are still important major cities. Richmond's metro is 1.2 million and Hampton Roads is around 1.7 million. Richmond has a good number of fortune 500 and 1000 companies headquartered here and has one of 12 federal reserve banks. Hampton Roads of course has the military presence and also NASA has a facility in the area, and is also a major domestic port of international goods. The reason these cities are not on the radar is because DC is just up the road and outshines these two metros. VA is the 12th most populous state and 14th most dense, so these two cities also support not just their own metros, but also people coming in from outside the metros on a daily basis.

Charlotte of course is bigger, has a nice skyline and even a pro sports team, but they heavily rely on the bankig industry to thrive and that may not be the best thing to place your economic vitality on. Unless Charlotte can diversify more I question how long and sustainable its growth will be.
I was stationed in Hampton Roads in 1978..so I know Richmond
and Norfolk/Virginia Beach..I Know what they have , and it dosen't
outshine Charlotte N.C...but They Are Great Cities..By The Way
Charlotte has two first tier Major League Sports Team NFL..and
NBA....

Old 09-17-2010, 05:25 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
My statement was in reference to the urban fabric, not the overall city and importance to the US of A in comparing Charlotte and Richmond and Augusta. Now if you still disagree, that's fine. I just wanted to clear up what my statement was about.
That's Cool............

Old 05-01-2011, 04:05 PM

29 posts, read 53,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I was stationed in Hampton Roads in 1978..so I know Richmond
and Norfolk/Virginia Beach..I Know what they have , and it dosen't
outshine Charlotte N.C...but They Are Great Cities..By The Way
Charlotte has two first tier Major League Sports Team NFL..and
NBA....
You were stationed there 38 years ago and you claim to know the area? Does that sound strange to anybody else? I do believe that Richmond and Hampton Roads aren't what they were in 1978, even though I wasn't alive in 1978. I'm not trying to hate on you; I'm merely pointing something out.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonfan96 View Post
You were stationed there 38 years ago and you claim to know the area? Does that sound strange to anybody else? I do believe that Richmond and Hampton Roads aren't what they were in 1978, even though I wasn't alive in 1978. I'm not trying to hate on you; I'm merely pointing something out.
38 years???? Is it 2016 already? Did I sleep through the last 5 years?

But, seriously, I agree. Someone saying that they know an area because they lived there 33 years ago is pretty weak.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:24 PM

29 posts, read 53,940 times
Heh. Sorry about that. Couldn't do math that day D:

Old 07-03-2011, 05:31 PM

269 posts, read 255,896 times
Although I live in Richmond, I'd pick Madison.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101flyboy View Post
Although I live in Richmond, I'd pick Madison.
Madison's great but the Winter sucks. I was there several times when it was really cold and was told by the locals that I was lucky that the weather was mild for my visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City