Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:45 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times

Advertisements

I wish this thread had a poll just to show how lacking Augusta is to the other three cities. To be fair, when it comes to MSA GDP, Richmond is tops. But the Triangle probably beats the the three combined. I could be wrong on that though because I forgot Madison's GDP. I know the Triangle is around $85 billion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 06:53 AM

803 posts, read 1,264,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Augusta, GA
I used to live there (junior high, moved to another state for my high school years where I am now), my advice is if you have kids and are sending them to school or something, go to Columbia county.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:01 AM

Default I would not want to go back to Augusta though

Columbia County is great but man Richmond County can be a terrible place to live in. It is really broke, all of the public high schools underperform on tests and magnet high schools don't take everyone. My friend goes to a magnet high school there and he says it absolutely screwed his chances of getting into a top university, the thing is the magnet high school just serve a purpose of getting kids to college, they aren't for the kid trying to get into Harvard or Yale because opportunities in most cases are so limited.

Overall, my personal experience, I would not recommend Augusta but then again I lived in Richmond County, Columbia County is paradise though.

Also, don't know if I can use this terminology but man Richmond County is so freaking ghetto!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
You can tell these people have never been to Augusta, or definitely haven't visited lately??
Visited, lived in, stayed in and everything. It does not compare to any of those other cities and is not half as good as them.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Another thing nortonguy there is nothing wrong with promoting where you live, but to compare it to other metros that are larger and have more to offer is unfair to you and the metro. I assume nobody thinks Augusta is a dump, but its not on the same level as Richmond or Raleigh either.
On my facebook I have over 26 friends from Augusta (knew them in junior high and from First Pres Church), 24 out of 26 are wanting to get out of there and think it is a dump.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Primary Census Statistical Areas for these 4 cities (2009):
  1. Raleigh: Ranked 35th nationally with 1,743,364 people
  2. Richmond: Ranked 46th nationally with 1,264,930 people
  3. Madison: Ranked 79th nationally with 628,947
  4. Augusta: Ranked 94th nationally with 539,154
Looking at the 2 up/2 down in sizes, here are the primary census areas that keep company with the 4 cities discussed:

Austin, Salt Lake City, Raleigh, Virginia Beach/Norfolk, Nashville

Oklahoma City, Greenville/Spartanburg, Richmond, New Orleans, Birmingham

Wichita, Des Moines, Madison, Colorado Springs, Portland (Maine)

Lafayette (LA), Port St. Lucie (FL), Augusta, Palm Bay (FL), York-Hannover-Gettysburg

I think it's obvious why people are bewildered as to why anyone would think Augusta should be mentioned in the same breath as the others.
Augusta doesn't have a CSA.... That's the MSA population for Augusta and the CSA population for the other three cities...

Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 AM

Jayp1188... How does Madison beat Augusta in medicne, bio-tech, and research? People from all over the southeast use Augusta's hospitals..

Sleepless in B-ham.... I-20 is only one route in the metro... I-520 runs from West Augusta to North Augusta, SC where it connects to I-20 in Aiken County... Gordon Hwy turns into the Augusta-Aiken Hwy...

Last edited by nortonguy; 09-07-2010 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 AM

Jgamibi, please go troll somewhere else. You somehow joined yesterday at 9pm and automatically find this thread..

I bet you won't provide the link to your facebook. Nobody thinks Harlem or Grovetown high schools in Columbia county are good schools. Richmond County's graduation rate is 76.2%... I guess Richmond County is too black for you...

You said Richmond County is really broke lol? Then why did the city vote unanimously to roll back taxes THREE times in a little over two weeks. Augusta was featured in a Georgia Public Broadcasting article because the city is rolling back taxes in a recession...
Augusta Rolls Back Property Taxes
Richmond schools roll back taxes | The Augusta Chronicle
Plan for natural gas goes forward | The Augusta Chronicle

The July sales tax revenue is higher than last year, and ahead of budgeted projects...
City tax collections up, mayor says | The Augusta Chronicle

The August 2010 issue of GA Trend Magazine features Augusta... They refer to Augusta/Richmond County as a ''Prosperous Enclave''. ''New industry, new investment''
Georgia Trend

Last edited by nortonguy; 09-07-2010 at 09:32 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 11:50 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Augusta doesn't have a CSA.... That's the MSA population for Augusta and the CSA population for the other three cities...
It doesn't matter. For instance, Miami doensn't have a CSA either. Yet, it's more than 5 million people. The Primary census statistical data is a consolidated list that compares metros' populations despite the myriad of ways in which the Census Bureau has sliced and diced them for statistical reporting.
Augusta does not belong on this list no matter how much it's wished to be there.

BTW, here's an objective quality of life measure for major metros in the US. Guess which city comes out on top overall? Hint: It isn't Augusta....oh, that's right, Augusta isn't even considered.

2010 Quality Of Life Major Markets - Interactive Features - Portfolio.com

Old 09-07-2010, 01:02 PM

Okay, but you're still comparing CSA populations vs a MSA population.

Do you really want me to share all the forbes, businessweek, etc articles on Augusta?

Kraft named Augusta a top ten finalist for the best town in all of america.
KRAFT SINGLES ANNOUNCES TOP TEN FINALISTS IN SEARCH FOR 'SINGLE BEST TOWN' IN AMERICA | Facebook

Out of the largest 200 cities in the united states? Guess what city mentioned in this thread was rank the highest on the list at #9?
10 Best, 10 Worst U.S. Cities for Moms | Strollerderby

Last edited by nortonguy; 09-07-2010 at 01:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City