Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:23 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The census counts the SC side of Augusta in its metro?
DUH ... yes. You seriously did not KNOW that? Are you kidding me? Your credibility is shot my friend if you don't know basic facts such as that ... LOL

Quote:
You're mad at Augusta because the census doesn't believe your inflated population figures for Savannah...
The figures I cited ARE the Census numbers Einstein ... you seriously need a dose of reality and a lesson in statistical data gathering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 08:23 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times
Quote:
Fail!!!!! Med students chose Augusta over Athens 2 to 1 this year.... Who going to pick the satellite campus over the major campus...
Because UGA is just getting their med school started. Where would you rather live, Athens or Augusta? Athens hands down. MCG will feel the pressure soon, trust me. That's why the MCG board fought it from happening.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:24 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Same can be said for Columbus. If that's the case, you can add another 200,000 for Columbus. Nortonguy always misrepresents Columbus's area population too. To me, the Savannah area is bigger than Augusta's and Columbus's. Savannah just looks smaller because the county is not consolidated like it is in Columbus and Augusta.
Lol, I misrepresent Columbus population. Because it doesn't match your ficitonal metro population figures.. Take your beef up with the united states census...The Columbus metro is 292k.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:27 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times
Quote:
Lol, I misrepresent Columbus population. Because it doesn't match your ficitonal metro population figures.. Take your beef up with the united states census...The Columbus metro is 292k.
And if you were to read what I was referring to, a population within a 20 mile radius, then yes I am correct. Oh by the way, Columbus is about to overtake Augusta in city population to regain its status as Georgia's 2nd largest city. Doesn't include the 30k coming due to Fort Benning by 2012.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:28 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
This is your fictional population
SAVANNAH CSA = 417,512
BEAUFORT-HILTON HEAD MiSA = 178,436
TOTAL = 595,948

Hilton-Head is not apart of the CSA or MSA. Why is it even being mentioned??.. You're trying to make Savannah ''appear'' to be larger. Every city has counties who are in proximity to the city but aren't included...

The reason why Aiken is apart of the Augusta metro. And the census doesn't include Hilton Head as apart of Savannah. There is continuous development from Augusta to Aiken. There is a city called North Augusta in Aiken County, SC located between Augusta, GA and Aiken, SC. The census includes Edgefield County, SC in the metro Augusta population too.

Didn't Newsboy say Augusta gets no respect in GA?? I sure can't tell lol, because the Savannah and Columbus posters are trying real hard to make their cities seem bigger or better than Augusta. Bringing up the major MCG campus to a satellite, taking personal shots at AUG, blaming me for posting the correct MSA population, posting articles about the # tv households, blaming me because the census doesn't include a SC county into their populations, saying their city is going to overtake AUG in population, etc.

Last edited by nortonguy; 09-06-2010 at 08:51 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 PM

235 posts, read 344,380 times
Those numbers aren't fictional dude... the figures don't lie. It doesn't matter how the govt defines the boundaries of a metro area, the fact remains that 600,000 people live within a 20 mile radius of downtown Savannah. About 165,000 off these live in the Hilton Head micropolitan area which counts Jasper County which is DIRECTLY across the river from downtown Savannah. Everybody who lives in Sav-HHI recognizes the region as ONE BIG MARKET. but you don't get it do you?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:09 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times
In response the OP's postings about Augusta, I have to agree with some of the other posters in this city in that Augusta is out of it's league here. It's a nice town and all, but it just can't compare to Raleigh, Richmond, and Madison. All three are state capitals except Augusta. Raleigh has Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill in its CSA, and Madison has the University of Wisconsin; Augusta has nothing that remotely even comes close to these universities. Richmond and especially Raleigh are significantly larger metros than Augusta with larger and more diversified economies. Madison is similar to Augusta in size, but Madison is an overachieving city and easily outperforms Augusta in fields such as medicine, biotechnology, research, education, and economic growth. Richmond, Raleigh, and especially Madison are all much more progressive cities than Augusta. Furthermore, Madison, Richmond, and especially Raleigh are all fast growing areas. In all honestly, Raleigh is out of all three of these cities' leagues, but Madison and Richmond can hold their own fairly well. Also, Augusta can't compare to the other three in terms of cultural amenities, nightlife, downtown activity, etc. To be fair, Augusta has potential, but this just wasn't a good comparison. Augusta would be better compared to places like Chattanooga, TN, Fort Wayne, IN, Jackson, MS, Mobile, AL, and Rockford, IL.

To answer the original question though:

Which city has the brightest future?
1. Raleigh
2. Madison
3. Richmond
4. Augusta

Which city is the better metro to live in?
1. Madison
2. Raleigh
3. Richmond
4. Augusta

Which metro is growing the fastest? (00-09 CSA Growth Rate)
1. Raleigh (+32.57%)
2. Madison (+12.92%)
3. Richmond (+12.87%)
4. Augusta (+7.90%)

City Growth (00-09):
1. Raleigh (+46.9%)
2. Madison (+12.8%)
3. Richmond (+3.4%)
4. Augusta (-0.5%)

Last edited by jayp1188; 09-06-2010 at 09:21 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Primary Census Statistical Areas for these 4 cities (2009):
  1. Raleigh: Ranked 35th nationally with 1,743,364 people
  2. Richmond: Ranked 46th nationally with 1,264,930 people
  3. Madison: Ranked 79th nationally with 628,947
  4. Augusta: Ranked 94th nationally with 539,154

Looking at the 2 up/2 down in sizes, here are the primary census areas that keep company with the 4 cities discussed:

Austin, Salt Lake City, Raleigh, Virginia Beach/Norfolk, Nashville

Oklahoma City, Greenville/Spartanburg, Richmond, New Orleans, Birmingham

Wichita, Des Moines, Madison, Colorado Springs, Portland (Maine)

Lafayette (LA), Port St. Lucie (FL), Augusta, Palm Bay (FL), York-Hannover-Gettysburg

I think it's obvious why people are bewildered as to why anyone would think Augusta should be mentioned in the same breath as the others.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
Its funny to see people from Savannah and Columbus gang up on Augusta, especially when you all play second fiddle to Atlanta. At least Augusta does have a major east-west interstate close by, the same cannot be said for Columbus.

Last edited by sleepless in Bham; 09-06-2010 at 11:33 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 11:28 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
Nortonguy where is this ''continuous development'' that you speak from from Augusta to Aiken, SC??. Aiken and Edgefield Counties dont seem suburban, especially along I-20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City