Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Point us to the site that specifies that please. We are waiting to see.

Actually this site allows for Census block and zip counts etc

http://www.city-data.com/

and at a zip level - you can to smaller census blocks too

http://www.city-data.com/zips/07030.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 12:32 PM

442 posts, read 827,796 times
Why couldn't he find this? Anyways his bullsh*t is debunked.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
LA is the most "urban" actually. The sunbelt goes to California.

Technically yes but I never think of the CA cities as sunbelt anymore - just west coast but know many do...

BTW - on the factfinder post - where is the density maps - i use that site a lot but never found those

Old 10-19-2010, 12:37 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Atlanta city, Georgia by Census Tract - TM-P002. Persons per Square Mile: 2000

Also your numbers do not include the actual square miles. NYC for instance has data pushing micro densities over 200K in the way you are using them for Atlanta.
Pretty irrelevant.

Atlanta population in 2000: 416,000
Atlanta population in 2009: 540,000

Atlanta land area in 2000: 130 square miles
Atlanta land area in 2009: 131 square miles

A 30% increase in population, but only a 0.7% increase in land area means only one thing...dramatic densefication of Atlanta neighborhoods making your link from 2000 beyond outdated.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:39 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually this site allows for Census block and zip counts etc

http://www.city-data.com/

and at a zip level - you can to smaller census blocks too

http://www.city-data.com/zips/07030.html
I've always been more of a fan of census tract than zip code as I feel census tracts better account for specific neighborhoods while zip codes could include industrial areas, rail yards, unrelated neighborhoods, etc.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:58 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Pretty irrelevant.

Atlanta population in 2000: 416,000
Atlanta population in 2009: 540,000

Atlanta land area in 2000: 130 square miles
Atlanta land area in 2009: 131 square miles

A 30% increase in population, but only a 0.7% increase in land area means only one thing...dramatic densefication of Atlanta neighborhoods making your link from 2000 beyond outdated.
did you disregard the rest of my post? They are not relevant to you as you have an AGENDA TO SKEW HARD DATA TO BOOST ATLANTA INTO SOMETHING IT IS NOT

I'll post it again. Please pay attention to the highlighted areas

Also your numbers do not include the actual square miles. NYC for instance has data pushing micro densities over 200K in the way you are using them for Atlanta. The ppsquare miles is useless without the actual square miles it covers.

Usually when people list it, they include the square miles. For instance certain neighborhoods, or boroughs.

Just a comparison, since you want to play with numbers

let us put things in perspective b/c OBVIOUSLY people on this board are not getting it and why so many people think Atlanta is well, just not urban by a lot of peoples standards

Atlanta is population 540,000 people in 131 square miles. Giving it a density of 4,000 people per square mile to achieve a little over half a million folks.

Let's see how Manhattan can surpass that... to see the MASSIVE difference in the makeup of the cities.

Manhattan community districts 6, 7, 8 is 560,000 people ... in 5.3 square miles with a density of 105,000 people per square mile.

So what it takes for Atlanta to achieve half a million people 120 or so square miles, New York can do it in under 5.

This means that at the level of half a million people, which is a pretty good critical mass, NYC is almost 25X MORE CONCENTRATED.

Chicago can achieve this in under 20. San Francisco and Philadelphia are not far behind, and might even be ahead as well!

Is this stuff starting to get through your heads? Do you see why a lot of people just don't consider Atlanta urban? Especially since you are comparing cities IN THE SAME COUNTRY. So by U.S. standards, Atlanta is just not that urban, sorry. ATLANTA IS ONLY "urban" BY GEORGIA STANDARDS. The numbers do not lie, only people do.

Last edited by grapico; 10-19-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
did you disregard the rest of my post? They are not relevant to you as you have an AGENDA TO SKEW HARD DATA TO BOOST ATLANTA INTO SOMETHING IT IS NOT

I'll post it again. Please pay attention to the highlighted areas

Also your numbers do not include the actual square miles. NYC for instance has data pushing micro densities over 200K in the way you are using them for Atlanta. The ppsquare miles is useless without the actual square miles it covers.

Usually when people list it, they include the square miles. For instance certain neighborhoods, or boroughs.

Just a comparison, since you want to play with numbers

let us put things in perspective b/c OBVIOUSLY people on this board are not getting it and why so many people think Atlanta is well, just not urban by a lot of peoples standards

Atlanta is population 540,000 people in 131 square miles. Giving it a density of 4,000 people per square mile to achieve a little over half a million folks.

Let's see how Manhattan can surpass that... to see the MASSIVE difference in the makeup of the cities.

Manhattan community districts 6, 7, 8 is 560,000 people ... in 5.3 square miles with a density of 105,000 people per square mile.

So what it takes for Atlanta to achieve half a million people 120 or so square miles, New York can do it in under 5.

Chicago can achieve this in under 20.

Is this stuff starting to get through your heads? Do you see why a lot of people just don't consider Atlanta urban?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecityofangels View Post
But, yet you have still not shown one urban area of Atlanta. I will leave that up to YOU
Is this seriously necessary? :sigh:

Luckily, there are resources for this type of information. The following is a small sampling of what's out there in Atlanta. The below was sourced from this website and can be verified there if you are interested in doing so:

demographics | Electronic Data Center

The 10 densest Census tracts in Atlanta proper (might have missed a few)

1. Atlanta housing authority redevelopment formerly known as John Hope and University Homes immediately adjancent to Spelman College and Clark-Atlanta University in the West End - 36,492 people per square mile

2. Atlanta housing authority redevelopment between Park Street and Fair Streets immediately adjacent to Morehouse College in the West End - 33,193 people per square mile

3. Midtown between 10th and 17th streets north to south bounded by West Peachtree and Monroe west to east - 23,327 people per square mile

4. Midtown between Ponce and 5th streets north to south bounded by West Peachtree and Monroe west to east - 20,669 people per square mile

5. Sweet Auburn - 19,341 people per square mile

6. Lindbergh City Center - 18,393 people per square mile

7. Capital Gateway neighborhood which is the AHA redevelopment of Capitol Homes and the Northwest section of Grant Park/Summerhill immediately south of I-20 - 17,402 people per square mile

8. Midtown between 5th and 10th streets north to south bounded by West Peachtree and Monroe west to east - 16,867 people per square mile

9. South End of Virginia-Highland - 14,534 people per square mile

10. Atkins Park - 13,862 people per square mile

Honorable mentions (just a few)

Cabbagetown - 12,612 people per square mile
Peachtree Rd. Corridor north of Lenox - 10,348 people per square mile
Peachtree Rd. Corridor between Peachtree Battle and the Buckhead village - 8989 people per square mile
Bedford-Pine - 9946 people per square mile
Fairlie-Poplar - 7,185 people per square mile

lil five point

Mid - Google Maps

some midtown area

Midtown - Google Maps

little five points - Google Maps

http://www.emory.edu/home/news/img/in-release/prison-reentry-density-map_full-size.gif (broken link)

Old 10-19-2010, 01:06 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,285 times
can someone please show me where i can find the code of conduct for CD? there HAS to be some kind of violation for calling Atlanta urban and Queens 'partly urban' in the same breath. lmao. Atlanta simply isn't urban in the way that most people have defined the word for a long, long, time. If you guys would like to implement your own definition of the word in order to cater to Atlanta--then be my guest. But you're not fooling the rest of us. i REALLY wanna start a what's more urban 'Queens' or 'Atlanta' poll just to show you utterly incomparable these two are, but I know a bunch of you will complain to the moderators and have it deleted. so I wont bother; even I admit that the urbanity discussion is getting exhausting.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:09 PM

Urban

-The "urban" category includes those areas classified as being urbanized (having a population density of at least 1,000 persons per square mile and a total population of at least 50,000) as well as cities, villages, boroughs (except in Alaska and New York), towns (except in the six New England ...
Falling Through the Net: Glossary

-relating to or concerned with a city or densely populated area; "urban sociology"; "urban development"
located in or characteristic of a city or city life; "urban property owners"; "urban affairs"; "urban mann
ers"

ur·ban (ûrbn)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or located in a city.
2. Characteristic of the city or city life

Last edited by sk8t; 10-19-2010 at 01:24 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 01:38 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Since the name of this thread is actually city life and Access and not "which city is the most crowded and looks more urban?" I thought it would be fun to explore a topic more along the original question.

Buckhead probably doesn't offer as many bars as Hoboken since it got rid of many of them but it still offers pretty good night life. I can only wonder how Hoboken compares since I've only been there once and all I have to go on is what my sister that used to live in Bayonne has to say about it. I think Buckhead's night clubs might be better while Hoboken wins with bars.

Here's some scenes of nightlife or the bar scene in Buckhead recently. The same way Hobokeners can get more nightlife by crossing into Manhattan Buckhead residents can get a lot more by traveling a couple miles down to Midtown and Downtown as well as some of the burbs.

Gold Room Thursday Nights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVjKZ9yOhxU

Kimora Lee Simmons at Tongue and Groove Icon Mondays
Icon Mondays With Kimora Lee Simmons @ Tongue & Groove on Vimeo
Juicy Couture Fashion Show with Young Joc, Waka Flocka and others
ICON MONDAYS @ TONGUE & GROOVE! on Vimeo

Neyo Album Release Champagne Party at MF Sushi Lounge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YM6HQRjcUI

Celebrating an America's World Cup Soccer Match victory at Fado Irish Pub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZXNNNOSLuw

Tongue and Groove Mondays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaKutYVjduk

Buckhead Saloon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAjVcZdbiGE

Members Only Tuesday the Havannah Club
Members Only Tuesdays @ Havana Club on Vimeo
Members Only Tuesdays @ Havana Nightclub on Vimeo

Blackeyed Peas at the Havanna Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh70ONaJ2_8

Will I Am DJing at the Gold Room

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yr0x...eature=related

Memorial Day Weekend with Jermain Dupree at AJA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUHma...eature=related

Kaskada Live at the Gold Room

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUWlk...eature=related

80's vs 90's Party at the Mood Lounge
XXV 80 vs 90's! on Vimeo

DJ KOOl, Dougie Fresh, and D-Nice performing at SOL Fusion 8th Anniversary at AJA Lounge.
SOL FUSION 8TH ANNIVERSARY @ AJA! on Vimeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZLGKP7R09A
Members only Thursday at Havannah with Common and Fat Joe
Tuesdays "Members Only" @ Havana Featuring: Common on Vimeo

I looked into Hoboken's bars and nightclubs. There are a couple of decent techno clubs but other than that it's just bars. I imagine most in Hoboken have to go to New York to do more than chug drinks. This kind of thing has to do with urban living as well.

Last edited by Galounger; 10-19-2010 at 01:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City