Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Those McMansions are Buckhead? ROFL! How can anyone call it "city"? And why do you equate wealth with city? One characteristic of a true city is diversity of incomes.
Did you even read through the thread, or are you just spouting off?

And it most certainly is the City, as in it's a SECTION of Atlanta that happens to be very desirable. It does not equal the entire City however, so your wealth remark is a moot point.

The McMansions shown were not built on raw land, they replaced more modest homes. There are also huge historic estates, dozens of highrise condos & apartments, rowhomes, townhouses, cluster homes, etc. This is a mature area that has been built out for years. New construction has to replace old in this part of town.

There is little to no grit however, so I can understand how some simply can't wrap their minds around this beautiful style of urban living. And it IS urban, McMansions or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I understand why you wanted to compare the two.
You wanted to see if a suburb can stack up to the urbanity of an ATL neighborhood. Hoboken is just to small of a city land wise to make the comparison fair. A commute from Hoboken to Jersey City is most likely the same, if not a shorter distance one would travel within Buckhead borders to get to their workplace. Everyone rather bash and argue than be fair and notice the thriving city life in Hoboken. Hoboken has more nightlife packed inside one area- not office space. It's a different kind of city living in Hoboken, people don't want to understand that.

Where people work shouldn't be the topic of discussion. That's just a way to drive the topic into a complete mayhem of stubbornness.
Most People in Hoboken have a 10-20 minute commute, if not less. The commute time for most in Buckhead is most likely similar. Access and public transportation is just another branch of "city living", and Hoboken has it.

not to mention I also learned that Silver Spring is the best city living in the country

Old 07-13-2010, 10:04 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Did you even read through the thread, or are you just spouting off?

And it most certainly is the City, as in it's a SECTION of Atlanta that happens to be very desirable. It does not equal the entire City however, so your wealth remark is a moot point.

The McMansions shown were not built on raw land, they replaced more modest homes. There are also huge historic estates, dozens of highrise condos & apartments, rowhomes, townhouses, cluster homes, etc. This is a mature area that has been built out for years. New construction has to replace old in this part of town.

There is little to no grit however, so I can understand how some simply can't wrap their minds around this beautiful style of urban living. And it IS urban, McMansions or not.

and i cant quite put my finger on how grit adds to vibrance, but you do have me thinking

and just to reinforce. also the intent of the thread was to acknowledge that Buckhead is urban/city living, as it was the comparator

in hind sight I should have maybe choosen a neighborhood like society hill or old city in philly to compare to hoboken, also a bedroom community as no real job center exists in the neighborhood, plus it may have mittigated some of this - they are more similar in composition

Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
not to mention I also learned that Silver Spring is the best city living in the country
That's why I originally thought Silver Spring and Buckhead is a better match up. Hoboken can compare to SS in terms of nightlife and access (Hoboken/NYC - SS/DC), but it's mere size land wise is just too big of an obstacle to have people converse with a fair/open attitude.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
and i cant quite put my finger on how grit adds to vibrance, but you do have me thinking

and just to reinforce. also the intent of the thread was to acknowledge that Buckhead is urban/city living, as it was the comparator

in hind sight I should have maybe choosen a neighborhood like society hill or old city in philly to compare to hoboken, also a bedroom community as no real job center exists in the neighborhood, plus it may have mittigated some of this - they are more similar in composition
Good points! (I tried to rep you).

Old 07-13-2010, 11:55 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Those McMansions are Buckhead? ROFL! How can anyone call it "city"? And why do you equate wealth with city? One characteristic of a true city is diversity of incomes.
LMAO ummm you do know what a McMansion is, since your using it? McMansions refer to large new suburban homes, cookie cooker if you will, affordable for the middle class. Infact if they were McMansions they would actually be for more of a diverse range of incomes, so you don't even makes sense ROFL.

I did not equate wealth with a city, I equate the jobs, the commercial, industrial activity and how much people comunte to that location for work, vs a suburb in which people leave. This isn't the subjectiveness of a "true city" it's literally what a city is. You didn't read my post, you just looked at the pictures and replied back with taking points that contradicts your own statment. By the way density is more expensive, so this is also another example of contradicting yourself.

These are McMansions out there in Gwinnett

http://www.buyerorseller.net/management/images/properties-2.jpg
http://www.gwinnetthomesonline.com/images/Gwinnett_Homes_home.jpg (broken link)
http://www.gwinnetthomesonline.com/images/Gwinnett_Homes_home.jpg

This is some of what you just saw, buckhead

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/...cee3f56d75.jpg

http://www.ianmarshall.com/files/Atl...r_1million.jpg

Old 07-14-2010, 12:36 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,369 times
Quote:
key word is access or easy access

tere was intention to confine access at a border but what is afforded but residing in a location, Buckhead has access to other parts of Atlanta too

KONY - would you agree that Hoboken offers pretty similar if not better access to much of Manhatan when compared to many neighborhoodsin the Bronx?
If we would go by access than of course hoboken would win. Thats not even a reasonable thread. In the spirit of city vs city i thought, as well as other posters, that you were just trying to compare the two city propers. Ny has nothing to do with Hoboken other than being close by. Theres plenty of states and cities thats close to each other in the US.

As far as hoboken having better access than the bronx, i would have to say no. The bronx has more ways to manhattan and better transportation ,be it bus or train, than most US cities. The bronx is also the closest piece of land to Manhattan. You can walk to manhattan from the bronx

And natives of the city really don't pride themselves over how close or far they are to Manhattan. That normally comes from outsiders and transplants

Old 07-14-2010, 05:44 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,427 times
Some great pictures of Buckhead here.

The first 28 photos are part of Buckhead. They're a couple years old so the buildings under construction have been completed and some other buildings. Buckhead is really growing fast. That's one of the things so exciting about it.

atlantagapt2

Buckhead Baby!!

Last edited by Galounger; 07-14-2010 at 05:56 AM..

Old 07-14-2010, 07:02 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Read it again-
Hoboken has more in one square mile than any 1 square mile in Buckhead.

Pick a square mile in Buckhead and compare that to Hoboken (the 1 square mile city). THAT WOULD BE FAIR
Not sure. But I would think it would be safe to say that this about one square mile stretch of property along Peachtree in Buckhead probably has as much to offer as all of Hoboken.

This less than square mile area of Buckhead depicted in a picture here from atlantaskyline.com. Sovereign Buckhead, Atlanta, Georgia Luxury Condo is pretty much the same area.

Now that's Buckhead!

Last edited by Galounger; 07-14-2010 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-14-2010, 07:24 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
buckhead has a much bigger skyline and is modern and fancy. but i love the hoboken brownstones and density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City