Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
If we would go by access than of course hoboken would win. Thats not even a reasonable thread. In the spirit of city vs city i thought, as well as other posters, that you were just trying to compare the two city propers. Ny has nothing to do with Hoboken other than being close by. Theres plenty of states and cities thats close to each other in the US.

As far as hoboken having better access than the bronx, i would have to say no. The bronx has more ways to manhattan and better transportation ,be it bus or train, than most US cities. The bronx is also the closest piece of land to Manhattan. You can walk to manhattan from the bronx

And natives of the city really don't pride themselves over how close or far they are to Manhattan. That normally comes from outsiders and transplants

But you didnt really answer the questions, Is it easier to get from Hoboken to Manhattan than some areas of the bronx, and while i agree some (very few do of the total population) can walk accross a bridge, that isnt the point. I am will to bet that some in the Bronx commute to JC, but that again is just for a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:54 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
buckhead has a much bigger skyline and is modern and fancy. but i love the hoboken brownstones and density.
You're right Buckhead is modern and upscale fancy. Hoboken is spruced up working class and denser. But the assertions that there aren't any urban parts of Buckhead are just wrong.

Another picture from Atlantaskyrise.com

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/Midtown/pic-9265.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
But you didnt really answer the questions, Is it easier to get from Hoboken to Manhattan than some areas of the bronx, and while i agree some (very few do of the total population) can walk accross a bridge, that isnt the point. I am will to bet that some in the Bronx commute to JC, but that again is just for a point.

It is MUCH, MUCH easier to get to any part of Manhattan that you'd actually WANT to go to from Hoboken than ANY part of the Bronx. Much easier.

The people I know from the Bronx marvel at how easy it is to get to Manhattan from Hoboken/Jersey City. There is a reason that it costs MUCH more to live in Hoboken/Jersey City than 99.9% of the Bronx.

Also, very few people I know who live in the Bronx take public transportation (or walk, LOL, please) to Manhattan. They almost ALWAYS drive. In Hoboken and Jersey City, if somebody were to suggest DRIVING to Manhattan, they'd be looked at as if they had 3 heads.

KONY, that being said -- there is no reason to bring the Bronx into a discussion about Hoboken and Buckhead.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:18 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
buckhead has a much bigger skyline and is modern and fancy. but i love the hoboken brownstones and density.
That's true, Hoboken has some great old school brownstones, Buckhead has great new school townhouses (with a mix of some old too):

Index of /wp-content/uploads/2009/11

http://www.lenoxcondos.com/townhouses/roxborowalk/roxboro-walk-.jpg (broken link)
Roxboro Walk Townhomes (http://www.lenoxcondos.com/townhouses/roxborowalk/ - broken link)

http://pix02.softrealty.com/FirstMLS/photos/master/640/

Atlanta Townhomes

But moving on from townhouses, I lol at whoever said Buckhead has McMansions. It has actual mansions:

http://buckheadrealestateblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Buckhead-Mansion2.jpg (broken link)

http://buckheadrealestateblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/BuckheadMansionPool2.jpg (broken link)
The Buckhead Real Estate Blog | Brought to you by the Hirsh Real Estate Group, The Experts On Buckhead Real Estate

Atlanta Fine Homes Sotheby's International Realty Blog

But I really like the highrises most of all:

The building I'm currently coveting

atlantaSKYriseblog.com | atlanta luxury condo information» Atlanta Condos, Atlanta Condos for Sale, Luxury Rentals, Atlanta Luxury Condominiums, Atlanta Condo Blog, Atlanta Condos, Atlanta Condo News

Old 07-14-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's true, Hoboken has some great old school brownstones, Buckhead has great new school townhouses (with a mix of some old too):

Index of /wp-content/uploads/2009/11

Roxboro Walk Townhomes (http://www.lenoxcondos.com/townhouses/roxborowalk/ - broken link)

http://pix02.softrealty.com/FirstMLS/photos/master/640/

Atlanta Townhomes

But moving on from townhouses, I lol at whoever said Buckhead has McMansions. It has actual mansions:

The Buckhead Real Estate Blog | Brought to you by the Hirsh Real Estate Group, The Experts On Buckhead Real Estate

Atlanta Fine Homes Sotheby's International Realty Blog

But I really like the highrises most of all:

The building I'm currently coveting

atlantaSKYriseblog.com | atlanta luxury condo information» Atlanta Condos, Atlanta Condos for Sale, Luxury Rentals, Atlanta Luxury Condominiums, Atlanta Condo Blog, Atlanta Condos, Atlanta Condo News

good pics, My friend lives in a building in Buckhead where the parking lot is in the middlle of the building. You literally drive up to the tenth floor and walk to his aptartment, from the outside the whole perimeter looks all like condos. Was odd and interesting all at the same time. But I could also walk from the Marta to his a place, only a block or two. Plus in the the other part there was pool in the middle. Now that is something I dont see up here, but truly was interesting

Old 07-14-2010, 09:40 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Buckhead, baby.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Buckhead, baby.

why just curious

there is no wrong or right answer

Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
good pics, My friend lives in a building in Buckhead where the parking lot is in the middlle of the building. You literally drive up to the tenth floor and walk to his aptartment, from the outside the whole perimeter looks all like condos. Was odd and interesting all at the same time. But I could also walk from the Marta to his a place, only a block or two. Plus in the the other part there was pool in the middle. Now that is something I dont see up here, but truly was interesting
Yeah, that reflects a zoning change here. All the new midrise development recently has parking in the center with the residential "wrapped" around the exterior. It's even spreading to some of the closer-in burbs.

Much, much cheaper than underground parking (we sit on solid granite), and it hides all of those unsightly parking decks.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:30 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yeah, that reflects a zoning change here. All the new midrise development recently has parking in the center with the residential "wrapped" around the exterior. It's even spreading to some of the closer-in burbs.

Much, much cheaper than underground parking (we sit on solid granite), and it hides all of those unsightly parking decks.
That's really cool!

I would imagine that moving parking into the center part of the building, it would allow more retail/restaurants/bars/etc to be placed in the base of these new high-rises. Have developers been taking advantage of this opportunity?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That's really cool!

I would imagine that moving parking into the center part of the building, it would allow more retail/restaurants/bars/etc to be placed in the base of these new high-rises. Have developers been taking advantage of this opportunity?
Absolutely, but there are more vacancies than anyone would like due to the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City